Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Yep

It's basically a jiggling wreck of an OS - I can't trust it. I've rebuilt it 3 times and I'm not going to rebuild the thing again. I'll wait until the first update I guess. Kind of a big inconvenience.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Sounds like you are re-introducing something during the install process...or you have an underlying HW issue.

Overwhelmingly Yosemite installs and upgrades with no issues. A good proportion of upgrade issues seem to be fixed by a full wipe and fresh install. Then there is a smaller remainder that still have issues after that.

If you Safe Boot do you still have the same issues (whatever they are)?

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Rebuilt

Rebuilt - as in started from scratch - format internal drive and start completely over. I'm ruling out hardware now. It's possible some new ram may be one potential cause although of over 100 crashes since Mavericks was installed only one was due to "possible memory corruption".

Good call on the safe boot. I've done all the other things one would normally do in an unstable condition except that. Stand by.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Rebuilt - as in started from scratch - format internal drive and start completely over. I'm ruling out hardware now. It's possible some new ram may be one potential cause although of over 100 crashes since Mavericks was installed only one was due to "possible memory corruption".

If you get 100 crashes, especially when starting from scratch, it *is* a hardware problem. Otherwise everyone running Yosemite would be experiencing crashing. Most Macs don't have error correcting memory. It's possible that corruption occurred when copying the system from one location to another on disk during the install, going through bad memory. Or it could be a myriad of other possibilities. Another very likely candidate is the power supply.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
If you get 100 crashes, especially when starting from scratch, it *is* a hardware problem. Otherwise everyone running Yosemite would be experiencing crashing. Most Macs don't have error correcting memory. It's possible that corruption occurred when copying the system from one location to another on disk during the install, going through bad memory. Or it could be a myriad of other possibilities. Another very likely candidate is the power supply.

Power supply was just replaced within last 2-4 months.

I should clarify the "crashes" are not the typical crash where your system hangs and you have to power cycle it:

I have another thread about it in this forum but what's happening is the actual UI is crashing.

The system continues running. If iTunes is playing, it will continue to play. If I attempt to bring up my Apache webserver from an external device, it runs fine.

I can SSH into the system using an external computer and run top and I can see multiple stuck processes - just a few. The mouse pointer might move but none of the user interface elements are functional. It's very odd.

I initially thought it was related to iStat Menus but removing that just lessened the behavior some. Looking in console it claims the issue is with "SystemUIServer" revolving around "wakeups_resource.diag" but I'm not running sleep/hibernation.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Last edited:

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Ah

Power is pretty stable so far as I can tell. I have two higher-end surge suppressors but no UPS.

I've reverted to the original 16 gigs of ram that was in this machine (I'd bought aftermarket and boosted the system to 24 - I suspect that ram may have had problems and will try returning it today).

I'm running a Rember scan now to see if I see any issues with the memory - the last time I did a full scan it literally crashed the computer at the very end of the run and the reason I am doing so is the error I received yesterday:

"** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 4 caller 0xffffff801ce05eb2): "Possible memory corruption: pmap_pv_remove(0xffffff805ebb8248,0x7f954af73000,0x4, 0x4000, 0xffffff82e372bcc4, 0xfffffe96f16e6b98): null pv_list!"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2782.1.97/osfmk/i386/pmap_internal.h:768

And that's the only kernel panic I've received in the last few weeks.

I'm 3/4ths thru the scan now. Here's hoping, fingers crossed.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I have another thread about it in this forum but what's happening is the actual UI is crashing.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I didn't read your post through (sorry). I've had this happen -- display freezes except cursor continues to work. Able to SSH in. Turned out to be a bad display card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.