Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lowhangers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
I have no interest in Apple News, is there a way to delete it like in iOS? I find the app to be awful, with a non-configurable interface and Apple pushing its political agenda in it.

Yet I can find no way to delete it from Big Sur.

Thanks if you can assist.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
the Apps folder probably has a bunch of apps you don't use. for me: chess, stocks, voice memos, reminders. ETC ETC.

you could make a folder in launchpad, put it on the last page, and move ALL the apps you don't use there. just an idea.

sashavegas

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2018
I post instruction several days ago
Step 1 : boot into recovery and from terminal there issue the following
csrutil disable
csrutil authenticated-root disable
Reboot

Step 2 : once back at desktop, from terminal type mount, you should see deviceses like /dev/disk1s5s1, your case might be different, or whatever your name.

Step 3: from terminal type mkdir mnt, it will create directory in your user home

Step 4: mount this as following:
sudo mount -o nobrowse -t apfs /dev/disk1s5 mnt/
make sure you use disk1s5, not disk1s5s1, remove last "s1"

once mounted from terminal

sudo rm -rf mnt and drag application you want to delete, for example
sudo rm -rf mnt/System/Applications/Maps.app , hit enter

repeat for any application you want to remove

Step4: once done , you need to bless the folder
from terminal
sudo bless --folder mnt/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot && sudo reboot

once reboot your application is gone forever.

P.S
in Mojave it was easy, in Catalina it was relativly easy , you still can mount volume by ussing "sudo mount -uw/"
BUT Big Sur, uses snapshot, so you cannot mount it the way in Catalina, and once you done messing your system, you need to create new snapshot, by using "blessing" comand.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I post instruction several days ago
Step 1 : boot into recovery and from terminal there issue the following
csrutil disable
csrutil authenticated-root disable
Reboot

Step 2 : once back at desktop, from terminal type mount, you should see deviceses like /dev/disk1s5s1, your case might be different, or whatever your name.

Step 3: from terminal type mkdir mnt, it will create directory in your user home

Step 4: mount this as following:
sudo mount -o nobrowse -t apfs /dev/disk1s5 mnt/
make sure you use disk1s5, not disk1s5s1, remove last "s1"

once mounted from terminal

sudo rm -rf mnt and drag application you want to delete, for example
sudo rm -rf mnt/System/Applications/Maps.app , hit enter

repeat for any application you want to remove

Step4: once done , you need to bless the folder
from terminal
sudo bless --folder mnt/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot && sudo reboot

once reboot your application is gone forever.

P.S
in Mojave it was easy, in Catalina it was relativly easy , you still can mount volume by ussing "sudo mount -uw/"
BUT Big Sur, uses snapshot, so you cannot mount it the way in Catalina, and once you done messing your system, you need to create new snapshot, by using "blessing" comand.

or you could just not open the app... o_O ...

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia
But I like a lean system so I try to get rid of every app I don't use. I dislike clutter on my system.
Sure, but don't carry it too far and butcher up your system by willy nilly force deleting bundled system apps.

Just move them so that you don't see it.

The more you modify, the more unique you are when encountering problems and need to troubleshoot. Half the time, you probably forgot you have modified it.

khitowa

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2021
deleting News will have zero effect on the OS
That's not true. It runs a daemon (/System/Applications/News.app/Contents/PlugIns/NewsToday2.appex/Contents/MacOS/NewsToday2). I noticed it in 'top -u' when checking for some CPU hogs. That's the reason why I was going to delete it (since I don't use it) and ended up here trying to find out how to remove it.

So it does have an effect on the OS. Is there perhaps a setting to disable it? Maybe in notifications?

Edit: Nope. Just checked and I have notifications for News disabled.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
on the MacBook Air using Mojave one can remove the app from the toolbar dock.
i never used or seen the app since i launched Mojave last year.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
With Big Sur you cannot I have spent 2 month trying and recovery mode and all its . Disabling sip doing this and that it’s part of a hidden protected portion imagine hard to explain but if you break or tap into that imagine you break slot of security features.

if you are upgrading from previous OS and do it have you are good to go like I was than j decided to install it and give it a try to see how it looks and I got stuck with it

javie007

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2021
That's not true. It runs a daemon (/System/Applications/News.app/Contents/PlugIns/NewsToday2.appex/Contents/MacOS/NewsToday2). I noticed it in 'top -u' when checking for some CPU hogs. That's the reason why I was going to delete it (since I don't use it) and ended up here trying to find out how to remove it.
So it does have an effect on the OS. Is there perhaps a setting to disable it? Maybe in notifications?
Edit: Nope. Just checked and I have notifications for News disabled.
me too.

Reactions: dakwar and jagooch

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
What version of Big Sur are you running? Have you applied all your updates?
I currently have News open, while I type this, and it varies from 0.9% through 1.5% to peak at 4% when I am not scrolling through it.

And no, you cannot safely delete any of the Apps in the protected System volume Applications folder.

Reactions: DimaVR

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
What version of Big Sur are you running? Have you applied all your updates?
I currently have News open, while I type this, and it varies from 0.9% through 1.5% to peak at 4% when I am not scrolling through it.

And no, you cannot safely delete any of the Apps in the protected System volume Applications folder.
That’s some BS really, which I never downloaded the news app in the first place. My iMac is from 2015 and it never came with news app, my dum ass downloaded and now I’m stuck with it you know.

for me this is why I might do.

1. Install MaC OS that came with my apple and than upgrade to Mac OS 12 when it comes out this year. So I won’t have the news app.

2. disable the subscription to it completely and be done (sucks cause I save money using apple one )

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
Love apple but when they do crap like this it pisses me off.

Hey so does Big Sur install news app by default? On clean install? Cause I’m serious thinking of going back to el capital and than upgrading to Big Sur step by step not to have this app. Which is exactly how I did for 4-5 years and than decided to try it out and now I’m stuck with it

• Haha
Reactions: ignatius345

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Love apple but when they do crap like this it pisses me off.

Hey so does Big Sur install news app by default? On clean install? Cause I’m serious thinking of going back to el capital and than upgrading to Big Sur step by step not to have this app. Which is exactly how I did for 4-5 years and than decided to try it out and now I’m stuck with it

It doesn't work like that. When you install Catalina, and now Big Sur, the system creates a protected System volume and a writeable Data volume. Amongst other things on the System volume is a set of Applications, including, but not limited to, News, App Store, Books, Mail, System Preferences, TextEdit and Time Machine.

Some say that, with the application of certain magical digital incantations, you can remove items from the locked System Volume without them coming back. I don't know. I tried some of them, and they didn't work.

Catalina was not as robust as Big Sur, and it was possible to remove some things from Catalina Applications. AFAIK, it is not possible with Big Sur.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
It doesn't work like that. When you install Catalina, and now Big Sur, the system creates a protected System volume and a writeable Data volume. Amongst other things on the System volume is a set of Applications, including, but not limited to, News, App Store, Books, Mail, System Preferences, TextEdit and Time Machine.

Some say that, with the application of certain magical digital incantations, you can remove items from the locked System Volume without them coming back. I don't know. I tried some of them, and they didn't work.

Catalina was not as robust as Big Sur, and it was possible to remove some things from Catalina Applications. AFAIK, it is not possible with Big Sur.
You missed my point, I didn’t have news app before till I downloaded form App Store.

my Mac came with El Capitan and I just been upgrading for the last 5 years non stop OS to OS never formatted.

i delete all drives and partion I currently have reinstall el capital and upgrade to Catalina and than to Big Sur I won’t have the news app, because my original Mac OS never came with that news app

I downloaded news app from the store like 4 months ago and it installed and now cannot be removed obv.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
So yeh when Mac OS 12 comes out beta 1 in June, I’ll wipe entire partion go back to elcapitan do the upgrade to Catalina and from Catalina I’ll go to Mac OS 12 in June or what ever

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
That won't work. When it was first released, the News app was a standalone application one could download from the Mac App Store. Starting with Catalina (or Mojave? Not sure) it was bundled with macOS itself. If you completely wipe your Mac and do a fresh install of macOS 11 or 12 the News app will be part of it whether you like it or not.

Just like TextEdit, Safari, Terminal, and much much more.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
That won't work. When it was first released, the News app was a standalone application one could download from the Mac App Store. Starting with Catalina (or Mojave? Not sure) it was bundled with macOS itself. If you completely wipe your Mac and do a fresh install of macOS 11 or 12 the News app will be part of it whether you like it or not.

Just like TextEdit, Safari, Terminal, and much much more.
One again you missing the point.

I would go back to El Capitan the OS that came with my Mac from the apple store back in 2015 and than I would upgrade 1 by 1 to new Mac OS 12 this summer with out the stupid news app.

Get it? Or no?

Reactions: jagooch

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You can't delete it without a lot of terminal work and turning off the SSD security features.

I have a Launchpad folder which contains apps and application support utilities I never use. Just do something like that.

I also use Bartender to hide menubar icons I don't use frequently.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
One again you missing the point.

I would go back to El Capitan the OS that came with my Mac from the apple store back in 2015 and than I would upgrade 1 by 1 to new Mac OS 12 this summer with out the stupid news app.

Get it? Or no?
Apple News is not separate from Big Sur (it's not a distinct app you can download from the App Store) and will likely be part of the OS12 install/upgrade.

Get it? Or No?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.