Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
Apple News is not separate from Big Sur and will likely be part of the OS12 install/upgrade.

Get it? Or No?
You wrong, because I’m Big Sur I didn’t have news app because I did an upgrade to Big Sur and I went to apple store and downloaded news app and got stuck with it.

I never seen it before and wanted that ry it out because I have apple one. So I know for a fact when you come from older OS that never had it in the first place when you upgrade it doesn’t install the app. Dec 2020 I didn’t have this all and I’m running Big Sur since beta 1 when it came out in June

if I never went to apple store on Jan 2021 and downloaded my self to this day I would never have had the news app.

For same reason I dont have memo voice on my iOS device and everyone else has it with iOS 14.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
When you get to the Big Sur install -- you can't avoid also installing the News app. It's a part of the basic Big Sur install - NOT an addition from the App Store.

Reactions: egrimo

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You wrong, because I’m Big Sur I didn’t have news app because I did an upgrade to Big Sur and I went to apple store and downloaded news app and got stuck with it.

I never seen it before and wanted that ry it out because I have apple one. So I know for a fact when you come from older OS that never had it in the first place when you upgrade it doesn’t install the app. Dec 2020 I didn’t have this all and I’m running Big Sur since beta 1 when it came out in June

if I never went to apple store on Jan 2021 and downloaded my self to this day I would never have had the news app.

For same reason I dont have memo voice on my iOS device and everyone else has it with iOS 14.
Arguments like this get us nowhere. The News app is part of Big Sur (in Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, and the United States) and you'll have it as part of the Big Sur installation. If you don't have it, you must not live in one of those countries.

Voice Memos is a preinstalled with iOS, and you almost certainly have it. You just don't know it.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
When you get to the Big Sur install -- you can't avoid also installing the News app. It's a part of the basic Big Sur install - NOT an addition from the App Store.
No it’s not how are you going to tell me? I didn’t have news app in Big Sur I downloaded from the App Store ? You kidding me? It didn’t come because I upgraded from an old OS!

this is the reason why I made this post thinking you can remove it some how, because I downloaded form the App Store in big Sur

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I wonder if it's a regional thing because I'm in the US and Apple News doesnt even show up as a searchable result in the App Store.

Dima, which country do you live in?

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
I’m not arguing at all, I’m just trying to solve something here.

cUse I been upgrading from os to os with out clean install since El Capitan and in January I got apple one subscription and had apple news on my phone.

so I said how come I don’t have news on my Mac OS? I went to apple store and downloaded the app from there back in January. Than I realized in kept eating my hard drive space and I tried to remove it but couldn’t.

mom actually backing up my entire iMac right now 1 more time. I’m going wipe my 128SSD blow entire partion and containers out the water and I’ll install elcapital max os with no app news in that OS and I’ll upgrade one OS at a time till high Sierra and than I’ll upgrade to big sure.

App news only comes with big Sur if you do a clean install but since I’m coming from such an old OS that didn’t have the apple news during the upgrade in does now install such app at all.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
I wonder if it's a regional thing because I'm in the US and Apple News doesnt even show up as a searchable result in the App Store.

Dima, which country do you live in?
USA and that’s because you all ready have apple news installed on your Mac OS

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
I also have Keynote installed and it is a searchable result.
I don’t know what to tell you? I can just say this, I downloaded news app and didn’t have it till Jan 2021. Cause I did t have subscription for it and didn’t need it, when I got apple one it came with news obv and I h e on my phone and than said hmmm where is it on my Mac OS and it was missing so I downloaded the stupid crap just to have issues with it.

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Its hardly the only embedded app that Apple has foisted upon users (some for years) and that the average user will never use. Chess and a number of apps in the Utilities folder immediately leap to mind. The problem with News is that its a curated service and its goal is to sell you more product. Much like iTunes, Music or TV, if it comes to that.
And it's for that reason that Apple isn't going to make it easy / possible to delete it. In their view, you may have bought the computer, but they get to own the OS on it and how you use it.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
I wouldn’t have the issue if the stupid app didn’t download crazy amount of data and kept eating my hard drive space which in the first place I do t have on my SSD drive.

I just turned off the iCloud app news to see if it keeps the data down. And than I’ll do my old OS install and upgrade to Big Sur step by step like I did through out the years and worst case if nothing works I’ll cancel apple one which sucks cause it saves me money and I’ll buy what I need and not buy apple news subscription till they fix this stupid issues with data

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
I just stopped by my parents house and I went to look at my mother iMac we have the same 2015 5k unit and it also came with EL Capitan from the store and I upgraded her system over the years and never did a fresh install.

she has Big Sur latest release and she DOES NOT HAVE APP News. This is great news for me!

so I wasn’t crazy, that mean when Mac OS 12 comes out in June Beta 1, I’ll format my my entire system and containers . Than I’ll install El Capitan which doesn’t have news app by default and I’ll upgrade step by step going OS by OS till I get to latest version max os 12 this June when it comes out and screw that news app.

on the new systems it doesn’t matter cause people got plenty of space but this crap in crazy ? where news app can eat up to 60 GB a day of data sometimes on certain systems.

everyone thanks a lot and I hope someone find this useful to some extend and not spend month after month looking for the right answer on how to remove the app.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I wouldn’t have the issue if the stupid app didn’t download crazy amount of data and kept eating my hard drive space which in the first place I do t have on my SSD drive.
I suggested this elsewhere but try using something like Little Snitch to block data sources feeding the News app.

I don’t know what to tell you? I can just say this, I downloaded news app and didn’t have it till Jan 2021. Cause I did t have subscription for it and didn’t need it, when I got apple one it came with news obv and I h e on my phone and than said hmmm where is it on my Mac OS and it was missing so I downloaded the stupid crap just to have issues with it.
I believe you.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
so yeh, im good now, spent like 14 hours rebuilding my imac, went back to El Capitan then upgraded slowly to big sur and made sure on each upgrade news app didn't get installed and here i am happy as a pig. I needed the rebuild anyway 4 years of going beta to beta as a daily driver, obv left some hiccups over time in my machine.

Im ready for MAC OS 12 beta 1 this June, bring it on APPLE lol.. i can get 1 more year out of this computer for sure. lol

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
A couple of Saturday's ago Apple News was obviously laid out by someone who, to an extreme, favored our former president's administration. Its was designed around a pictured front page article by Stephen Miller, the previous administration's key presidential advisor. Until that point, my complaint was that Apple News was just a lot of mellow vanilla, intent on not offending anyone. Maybe that Saturday it decided to experiment and become what it truly wanted to be for a day. At any rate, being a registered Independent, I choose to no longer even glance at it - and would happily remove it if I could.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
A couple of Saturday's ago Apple News was obviously laid out by someone who, to an extreme, favored our former president's administration. Its was designed around a pictured front page article by Stephen Miller, the previous administration's key presidential advisor. Until that point, my complaint was that Apple News was just a lot of mellow vanilla, intent on not offending anyone. Maybe that Saturday it decided to experiment and become what it truly wanted to be for a day. At any rate, being a registered Independent, I choose to no longer even glance at it - and would happily remove it if I could.
I hear ya, as you can see I had to take the king route to fix my issues.

When I get my new iMac wouldn’t be a big deal since I play to have 2TB storage you know but with my 128 gb ssd every gig counts.

I’m just happy I no longer have it but the amount of work I had to do is not easy as you see what I had to do

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia
but the amount of work I had to do is not easy as you see what I had to do
I am not sure spending 14 hours is necessary. You had a runaway or corrupted News app that was chewing space.

I would have just done a clean install of Big Sur, including erase of disk.

As you said below, your system probably been messed up by 4 years of beta software.

I needed the rebuild anyway 4 years of going beta to beta as a daily driver, obv left some hiccups over time in my machine.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
I am not sure spending 14 hours is necessary. You had a runaway or corrupted News app that was chewing space.

I would have just done a clean install of Big Sur, including erase of disk.

As you said below, your system probably been messed up by 4 years of beta software.
Wrong the amount of subscription and news mag I read and view a month creates a lot of data. How do I k or it’s not a runaway app? Because it’s doing on my other Mac also with Big Sur but I never use the other one so I don’t care for it.

I’m not the only one with this issue unfortunately.

apple design fusion drives which have more than enough space when they a fused together but when someone like me breaks apart the fusion drive and make it two drives the boot drives is to small for years 2021 and data to keep on it.

That’s the issue for older users of iMacs and laptops unfortunately.

trust me I have looked into my issues for months now and this is the only true work around that I was able to find

halledise

macrumors 68000
What version of Big Sur are you running? Have you applied all your updates?
I currently have News open, while I type this, and it varies from 0.9% through 1.5% to peak at 4% when I am not scrolling through it.

And no, you cannot safely delete any of the Apps in the protected System volume Applications folder.
yes one can. appcleaner is the name of the free app. drag and drop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.