Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
I'm not as good at console games these days, just wondering what others think.

Reason I ask is because Far Cry 5 on normal is a struggle for me.

Reactions: compwiz1202

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I actually encountered this a few days ago. I installed Mutant Year Zero and I was surprised that the default difficulty level was "hard". I paused for a second wondering if it would be lame to switch it to "normal" but I'm glad I did because I'm still getting murdered in some fights.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

I always like to start on easy mode. Definitely prefer games with difficulty settings, especially if you can change on the fly once you get the hang of it.

EDIT: Now I don't want it as easy as this one Tactical RPG I played once though. You could literally just click a WIN button during a battle to move along.

EDIT2: And what I even love more than difficulty levels is the ability to replay content to get stronger if I need to. Like most older RPGs and all Disgaeas and DQXI. Even easier on ones like DQXI where you have to run into normal enemies to fight. So you can fight as little or as much as you want to tailor boss difficulty.

Reactions: tranceking26

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Most games let you change it on the fly anyway. So say you're playing thru FC5 on easy and you are doing well, you can always pause and turn it up to normal and try that for a while.
Also, for that game, use the barrels to blow up the bad guys whenever possible :) and get good at sneaking! The bow is very good for stealth kills that don't trigger massive retaliatory responses. And you get a nice bonus for taking out a base without triggering the alarm ;-)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We generally play Mario Kart/Party/etc., group games that are super fun with the whole family (hahaha, we occasionally even play an adults-only version of Party that involves shots :D)

Anyway ...

When the wife and I get a chance to play something outside of those sorts of games, we really love horror/survival types games (Resident Evil, Last of Us, Silent Hill), but mostly for the story, immersion, and __not__ for getting frustrated from running out of ammo, or having to replay a "boss battle" 20 times - so yeah, we always play at the easiest level (and even cheat a little when possible ;) )

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Thank you all for the kind replies. I'm going to give it another try with suppressed weapons and if that fails - easy mode :)

Reactions: Weaselboy

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
There was a game we played, may have been one of the ones I mentioned, at any rate, it had a mode selector that actually had settings like, "I prefer puzzles and less combat" vs. "I like lots of tough combat" or something. So like you might have a big monster jump through a door vs. the door having some kind of code/lock to decipher, pretty cool for us less button-y players :D

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I play at the difficulty that gives me the most satisfaction. That can vary between games, some games I like to just relax and play without much thought, other game I want to challenge me and be punishing. If I play on a harder difficulty, there's a reason behind it, not just to play on the hardest.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012

Your timing of the topic is great. I am playing FC5 on the PC, and struggling as well. I have not gotten back to it because I am ashamed that I will have to change to easy to keep my blood pressure down :). In reality, as long as we have fun playing it really shouldn't matter what difficulty we play at. If normal is no longer fun for you, I would drop it down. It is what I plan to do once I finish Skyrim.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
The way I see it, there isn't shame in playing on Easy, but there also isn't pride in playing on Hard. I enjoy gaming, but it isn't reality.

Yeah that is true, I mean beating a game on harder difficulties is impressive but not something to brag about!
[automerge]1586890409[/automerge]
Your timing of the topic is great. I am playing FC5 on the PC, and struggling as well.

Yeah it's still a really fun game. I haven't played for quite some time but when I do I'll probably lower it to easy for a while.

Reactions: tshrimp

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California

Why would there be shame? Who would know unless you told someone.

If you enjoy the game, that's what matters. Easy mode or not.

Remember if you play any game with any sort of grinding, once you beat it & it allows you to continue to play, because of your grinding that makes that level of play easier or easy mode now.

Meaning if you finish a single player game and it allows a new game + mode, where you retain all the skills & stuff you acquired from your first playthrough, that makes the new run easier. No one says anything abut that, except to "have fun".

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Dude, I just finished Resident evil:3 on easy mode. The advantage for me playing on that specific mode, gives me the time I need/want to explore the game more thoroughly without feeling the pressure from the A.I being overbearing. For a gamer to be immersed into the content, exploration of the contents is key.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I absolutely loved Witcher 3 but the last boss absolutely owned me. 95% of the time I hate boss fights and think of them as an impediment to getting back and having fun. I refused to lower the difficulty even though it was miserable and I wasn't enjoying myself doing the fight over and over again. I eventually got it but I should have just lowered the difficulty and called it a day.

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
One of the funniest things I saw recently was when I started playing Yakuza 0 for PS4; the game is pretty easy until your first big fight. I was on normal and, after some difficulty, it asked if I wanted to switch to easy. I felt ashamed :p

It wasn’t until I played Jedi: Fallen Order that I decided to not care about difficulty anymore.

Reactions: MisterSavage

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
I don't think there's any shame playing on easy at all. I usually stick to normal nowadays, which seems way easier than in previous years, and I'm happy with that. As long as people are having fun, it's all that matters.

I don't mind if games are sold on being extremely difficult, some people like that, and those games just aren't for me.
You frequently get levels of elitism in gaming, and it's mildly hilarious. Unless you're making mega money from it (and even then... Meh), lording your gaming prowess over others is laughable.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
You frequently get levels of elitism in gaming, and it's mildly hilarious. Unless you're making mega money from it (and even then... Meh), lording your gaming prowess over others is laughable.

Yeah wasn't it Sekiro where the game reviewer got a lot of flack for switching to easy mode?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.