Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
Yeah wasn't it Sekiro where the game reviewer got a lot of flack for switching to easy mode?

I'm not sure, I think it was because one 'cheated' on it maybe? They got stick from elitists because he played the game they way he wanted... ?

I remember there being an opinion piece saying games like this should all have a super easy mode, to be inclusive.
I'm not sure I agree with that viewpoint though. It's up to the creator to release the game they want. Some of these games whole point seems to revolve around getting good. If people don't want to play the game this way, just don't buy it.
I know Sekiro/Dark Souls/Bloodborne are not for me, but I don't feel the creators should HAVE to make the game accessible to me.
Sales numbers will dictate if the creator has done the right thing.

Reactions: MisterSavage

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
I always play on easy unless its too easy and I feel like that's spoiling the fun, once it gets to easy I make the game harder. I don't understand games that default to "hard". Once you finish everything you'll have nowhere to go.

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
I'm not as good at console games these days, just wondering what others think.

Reason I ask is because Far Cry 5 on normal is a struggle for me.
No shame at all. I used to play most games on hard/difficult but after I went through a serious brain injury I can only manage normal/easy. Regardless, play the way you want to play.
[automerge]1587225172[/automerge]
Yeah wasn't it Sekiro where the game reviewer got a lot of flack for switching to easy mode?
I haven’t played that one yet. There’s an easy mode?

I’ve played all of the Dark Souls games (and Bloodborne)...no easy mode on those ?

Reactions: tranceking26

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I'm not sure, I think it was because one 'cheated' on it maybe? They got stick from elitists because he played the game they way he wanted... ?

You're right. I found the article that I was thinking of.

I haven’t played that one yet. There’s an easy mode?

I’ve played all of the Dark Souls games (and Bloodborne)...no easy mode on those ?

I played and finished Demon's Souls. I decided that type of game is just not for me.

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
You're right. I found the article that I was thinking of.

I played and finished Demon's Souls. I decided that type of game is just not for me.
That’s just fine. If it’s not fun don’t waste your time. I on the other hand have found these games to be incredible. Everything else I try pales and I end up going back to them even though I’ve completed each multiple times.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
That’s just fine. If it’s not fun don’t waste your time. I on the other hand have found these games to be incredible. Everything else I try pales and I end up going back to them even though I’ve completed each multiple times.

I do appreciate the skill and patience it takes to beat those type of games. They're no joke!

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Has anybody played the Halo series on Easy? The lack of achievements seems to be the only downside...

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
There was a game we played, may have been one of the ones I mentioned, at any rate, it had a mode selector that actually had settings like, "I prefer puzzles and less combat" vs. "I like lots of tough combat" or something. So like you might have a big monster jump through a door vs. the door having some kind of code/lock to decipher, pretty cool for us less button-y players :D
Yea that sounds cool. I like reasonable puzzles and combat. Don't like Mario Bros stuff in RPGs, and I'm not too fond of stealth either.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
The way I see it, there isn't shame in playing on Easy, but there also isn't pride in playing on Hard. I enjoy gaming, but it isn't reality.
I thought this was interesting. I don't fully agree - I think that you develop your skills on a game, and being able to play it on harder difficulties can be quite rewarding. There's nothing wrong with having pride in that.

But as you say, it's not reality. That's where your stage of life comes into play. In grade school, when life largely consisted of school and games, it certainly meant a lot to be able to develop the skill needed to dominate higher difficulty levels. As an adult there's still some satisfaction to it, but it's not quite the same. (And I know that in my case, the sense of satisfaction tends to be accompanied by that nagging feeling of "man, I spent way too much time on this, the skills won't be usable anywhere else, and I could have been doing a lot of other things with that time...")

In some games the fun is in mastering difficult situations, repeating something over and over until you've learned the pattern or developed the skill. In others, you want to feel challenged but not overly defeated. I generally start on "normal" difficulty and if I'm not getting the hang of it fairly quickly, will drop the difficulty down. My time is just too limited and there's enough stress from life to feel frustrated for too long in a game world.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Gosh, I wish GTA IV had an easy mode sometimes. I haven't played it for like 5 years until a few days ago and I just cannot drive-by shoot properly any more. It's a non issue in GTA V/Online for some reason.

I wonder if it's because I'm getting older now and my abilities have fallen apart a bit.

Anybody else finding games harder in your 30s and above?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Gosh, I wish GTA IV had an easy mode sometimes. I haven't played it for like 5 years until a few days ago and I just cannot drive-by shoot properly any more. It's a non issue in GTA V/Online for some reason.

I wonder if it's because I'm getting older now and my abilities have fallen apart a bit.

Anybody else finding games harder in your 30s and above?

It's always been hard in general for me go back to a game I haven't played in a long time. I tried firing up the Horizon Zero Dawn expansion I never tried and couldn't remember how to do a single thing. Seems crazy considering how much time I spent on the main quest when I played.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Getting trophies earns internet points, I don't know why, but they seem to be important these days.

All jokes aside; as stated by others, you paid for the console/pc and game, so there's only one person who needs to enjoy and that's you. Where defeating a boss on a high difficulty might feel rewarding and awesome, it still needs to feel possible.

And who knows after a while you might get the hang of FC5 (awesome game btw, loved it), you will start ramping up the difficulty.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Put it this way I use to play Halo games on Legendary when I was 16

My dude now I’m 27 and can barely play Plants vs Zombies on Xbox one x

You wanna know what the deal is you need to toughen up back to your old skills

Or you enjoy the ride and love playing the game regardless lol

Boo yeah

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Lol I always play games in easy mode. The least thing I want after hard work is to get pissed off at games because it’s so difficult. I’m playing games to relieve the stress, not to get a cortisol spike after a long hard day at work. I’m 37 btw. Used to play normal or even hard mode when I was at high school.

Reactions: compwiz1202

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I am the same, if I like the look of a game enough to play it, I want to enjoy it and the story not prove anything to anyone so always go the easy route as it is more enjoyable. I also casually play titles like Cities Skylines and go straight into sandbox mode which I get told is a 'losers/cheaters' gameplay option. Nah, I want to take time, build whatever I want and why not?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Surfers have a saying: the best surfer is the one having the most fun.
That's really the bottom line, it doesn't matter what difficulty you have set as long as you're enjoying the game. I'll play a game on easy mode and if its a really interesting game, maybe another play though with a difficulty level a bit higher but in all truthfulness as I stated before I prefer easy and enjoy the story its telling.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Ghost of Tsushima is especially great at handling this. The first boss I encountered kept destroying me. Just as I was starting to get frustrated the game offered me these options:
  1. Try again
  2. Give up, lose a little progress, but be able to try again later
  3. Change to easy mode and try again
I chose #2 but I loved having the choice.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I'll add a little to the side on this as well.... I will completely drop a game if there are suddenly too many button combinations to do moves.

I'm almost 45, I don't have the twitch factor I used to have, and with my MS, trying to remember to hit X+B+RB to do this move and then combo to Y+X+LT for a combo just simply isn't going to happen. We have controllers now with base 8 buttons, figure out a move list from pressing one of those.

Hell, I started on a 1 button atari joystick and things were just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.