Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
I went to a furniture store the other day
and there was a Apple imagewriter
and an Apple llcg or something like that

but are these items worth anything cause I'll ask the store if I can have em

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Apple IIgs maybe? That was the last Apple II model made. Is it in good shape? Ask 'em how much they want for it! It may not be that valuable money-wise, but us Mac enthusiasts, well, you know... ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Always go onto ebay and see how much they're going for to get an idea of their worth. Its not always accurate, but its what people are willing to pay. Also a quick search online might term up something.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by Hemingray
Apple IIgs maybe? That was the last Apple II model made. Is it in good shape? Ask 'em how much they want for it! It may not be that valuable money-wise, but us Mac enthusiasts, well, you know... ;)
Actually, the Apple IIe was the last model sold. That is, the platinum IIe that had the numeric keypad...

full.jpg

...it came out after the IIgs and was the last existing II when it was finally canned. I am not sure whether this version of the IIe or the //c+ (with 3.5" floppy drive) came out first -- one of those two was the last II introduced, both after the IIgs.

blakespot

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by blakespot

Actually, the Apple IIe was the last model sold. That is, the platinum IIe that had the numeric keypad...

I meant the last of the II series, really... since the IIe was initially introduced before the IIgs. But technically, you're right. :D

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
The Apple IIe was the first Apple that I ever used! I remember learning to touch type on it and playing Oregon Trail!! Those were the days. My school even had tablets with wired pens to do CAD on!!

-Pete

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
LOL... Oregon Trail!! Good God, those were the days.

"Mary has died of Typhoid."

I was the sadistic one... I'd name everyone in my wagon train after people I didn't like in my class and let them die off one by one... :D

And just for the sake of bringing back some truly awful memories, how many people remember Sticky Bear? Or Math Blasters? Or Turtle Tracks? :D :shudder:

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
The Apple II is a great machine, I really love them! I have one in my collection somewhere. I am not sure what the exact name is, I will go find out soon.

A guy at our local apple centre took 7 Apple IIe 'up the tip' cause he didn't have enough space for them, he did even ring me first!

Ensign

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
A guy at our local apple centre took 7 Apple IIe 'up the tip' cause he didn't have enough space for them, he did even ring me first!

Ensign
Sounds rather painful. (Bad mental picture....)

blakespot

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah, seems like a whole generation of kids grew up on MECC games (Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego, etc.) on the Apple //"x" series of computers. They're probably still around in schools aomewhere, waiting to become "obsolete". I remember doing some typing exercise and asking the teacher where the "q" key was, because I couldn't find it. Now I'm a comp tech, go figure.

I remember playing Oregon Trail. I eventually got sick of the intended story line and used it as a third-person shooter. I was the banker so i could start off with the most $ for supplies— then I would max out on ammo. When it was time to go on the trail, I would stop and hit "8" for hunt, and just shoot animals. Too bad you could only carry back ~100# of meat because my screen looked like a massacre!

Memories...memories....

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by mc68k

Yeah, seems like a whole generation of kids grew up on MECC games (Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego, etc.) on the Apple //x series of computers.
Apple //x!! You've heard too! It will have a 65832 CPU, internal 3.5"drive, 2MB RAM standard, and support interlaced video! Also it will have 16-bit audio a special gfx mode where it can display all 4096 colors onscreen at once!

(Are you old enough to remember?)

blakespot

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by blakespot

Apple //x!! You've heard too! It will have a 65832 CPU, internal 3.5"drive, 2MB RAM standard, and support interlaced video! Also it will have 16-bit audio a special gfx mode where it can display all 4096 colors onscreen at once!

(Are you old enough to remember?)

blakespot

What I meant was //"x"— like the x being the variable. We had a lab with //e's //c's and a IIgs. I did not want to be exclusive to any one of these groups of Apple II's, without listing them all. Sorry if that came off wrong. I grew up with Apple IIs until I went into HS, where they had Macs instead.

Sometimes I wish I could have been born eariler so I could have seen the birth of the computer revolution. Sadly, it was the other way around— my birth saw the early computer revolution. I wasn't a Mac freak until 1995 when I got my first Mac (a Performa). But some things one can not help, and age is DEFINITELY one of them. I sometimes like to think that in these 7 years I have soaked up more computer knowledge than some people many times my senior, who have had more time than I/lived through the revoultion.

Apple //'s are one of the only true links of the personal computer revolution that I can share with older "nerds".

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by mc68k

What I meant was //"x"— like the x being the variable. We had a lab with //e's //c's and a IIgs. I did not want to be exclusive to any one of these groups of Apple II's, without listing them all. Sorry if that came off wrong. I grew up with Apple IIs until I went into HS, where they had Macs instead.

Bah...

You you lose.

:)

blakespot

ntg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2002
UK - Rushden, Northants
Originally posted by IndyGopher
How old do I sound if I think VisiCalc and Austin 80-column cards when old 8 (and 16) bits are mentioned, instead of 'Oregon Trail' and other games?

You can't be that old, 'cause even I remember (and still have in storage) my first II+ and EuroPlus machines (one with 40 column card and green screen, and one with 80-column card and an "amber" screen). I used to run Archon II (adept) and TaiPan mostly, but weren't they so much faster when the 'new' IIe and enhanced IIe came out? :D :rolleyes:

thecube84

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2001
ohio
my iic!

Still have my apple //c!!! Its so small and cool!!!

anyway i grew up on apples too playing oregon trail AND math blasters AND where in the world is carmen sandiego!! im 14 now, and i Play Unreal Tournament, Red Faction, etc.

:D

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Oh man, I remember first touching a IIe in grade 2. Those machines kicked ass. We were all playing logo (I think that's the name of the program where u give a turtle directions and it draws stuff onscreen). We then got "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago?" That was hella fun :).
In grade 3 I saw my first mac... a Mac Plus. It was love at first sight--I got a Mac LC II the year after and I was the coolest kid on the block! 4megs of ram, a 12" color monitor with 256 colors, a screaming 16Mhz 68030 and 40Mb of storage!
I remember dialing up to BBSes with my 2400baud modem and trying to download all the games, but they were all pc. Then one day I truly found a gem...but you guys don't want to hear my life's story right? ;)

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA

I was the sadistic one... I'd name everyone in my wagon train after people I didn't like in my class and let them die off one by one... :D

And just for the sake of bringing back some truly awful memories, how many people remember Sticky Bear? Or Math Blasters? Or Turtle Tracks? :D :shudder:

Haha. I remember all those games. I played them on peecees, though. I was around 4 and my family had just bought a 486. Sticky Bear may have been on a Mac, though. Did they make Sticky Bear for Windows? I don't remember Turtle Tracks, though. Math Blaster was a great game. I still have Oregon Trail, but it's "Oregon Trail 3" and comes on 3 CD-ROMs.

While we're on the subject of old games how many people played Logical Journey of the Zoombinis? It's not quite as old-school as the games listed above, but I play it on my Quadra 650 for a bit of nostalgia. Runs great on 64MBs of RAM and System 8.1.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
back in the day

I remember Math Blasters.
Does anyone remember Word Attack from the same series?
Sorry to mention a pc game, but does anyone know Adventures in Math? I used to play that on my PC XT.

There's updated versions of Oregon Trail now.. but it's just not the same ...

-- I played another eductional game many moons ago on the IIgs but cannot remember the name: you were in a department store and the manager lost a diamond (I think) you had to go around the store to different departments and ask people questions and find out who stole it. It was all wireframe graphics. Does anyone know the name??

(Sorrry if this is posted in the wrong place.)

Math Blasters hell yes
always a fan
wow back in the days.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Originally posted by topicolo
Oh man, I remember first touching a IIe in grade 2. Those machines kicked ass. We were all playing logo (I think that's the name of the program where u give a turtle directions and it draws stuff onscreen). We then got "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago?" That was hella fun :).
In grade 3 I saw my first mac... a Mac Plus. It was love at first sight--I got a Mac LC II the year after and I was the coolest kid on the block! 4megs of ram, a 12" color monitor with 256 colors, a screaming 16Mhz 68030 and 40Mb of storage!
I remember dialing up to BBSes with my 2400baud modem and trying to download all the games, but they were all pc. Then one day I truly found a gem...but you guys don't want to hear my life's story right? ;)

You do know logo is a programming language, right?

Ah, I remember the good old days... oregon trail for Apple II and Mac, super munchers, armor ally (now if only there was a hack to get my iMac or iBook screen to B&W or 16 colors - it's STILL a fun game, one of the first networkable ones... hehe... armor alley over airport... mmm....) all those... sadly those days are long past, and me without enough money for even UT.

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
beleve it or not.. my school had working Apple IIs in classrooms just 5 short years ago.. I remember one having Apple IIs and the next room having Bondi iMacs.. crazy! Oregon Trail was awesome.. I wish I had it to play again....

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Is this a great find

Originally posted by mac15
I went to a furniture store the other day
and there was a Apple imagewriter
and an Apple llcg or something like that

but are these items worth anything cause I'll ask the store if I can have em
The IKEA here in San Diego has a bunch of old macs. For the original mac II through some later 68k and early 601-based machines.

just thought i'd reply since someone draged this one up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.