Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
So remember when Apple removed the ability for battery apps to read information such as cycle counts in iOS 10? This way they could limit customer information on their devices battery health and hopefully save a few bucks on customers asking for warranty replacements.

Well that got me thinking: Since Apple already put out an iOS update that silently slipped in CPU throttling with no way to turn it off... why not also put out an iOS update that removes the ability for benchmarking apps like Geekbench to read information like CPU speeds?

This way Apple not only can A] throttle customers devices like they are right now (hopefully causing most to get frustrated with the slow speeds and throw more $$$ at Apple to upgrade to a non-throttled device) but B] they also get to keep everyone in the dark so they can’t complain or sue about anti-consumer behavior!

Seems like a perfect, Apple-like solution to the problem right? :D

P.S. if anyone asks questions as to why Apple blocked the ability to read CPU speeds... simply call it a “feature” and all will be right again :p

Suunto

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2017
I like my solution: If your phone needs a battery, get one and move on. If your phone does NOT need a battery, continue as you would normally and continue on with your life.

You’ll spend waaay less time huffing and puffing about “scandals” (lol).

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
Take it to Apple or use various methods that blogs have shown to check battery health.

There are hundreds of millions of iOS devices out there. Everyone of them should be taken to the Apple Store whenever they get slow?

Is that what you are suggesting?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
In 2003, both nVidia and ATI began cheating in 3DMark.

Apple could do the same by detecting GeekBench and reducing throttle while the app is open.

Reactions: iSilas

Suunto

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2017
There are hundreds of millions of iOS devices out there. Everyone of them should be taken to the Apple Store whenever they get slow?

Is that what you are suggesting?

Yes.

Or continue to “talk” about it on online communities.

Up to you.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Theories, speculation and 'What if's' with these threads are Over Redundant and exacerbated beyond reasoning. Only online threads like this are Creating more unnecessary drivel.

Reactions: TMRJIJ

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
My SUV with over 100,000 miles does not operate as well as it did when I bought it brand new. I'm suing GM because the parts are wearing out and making my vehicle less efficient.

Right, except normal wear and tear is NOT what is happening here. If your SUV maker uploaded new software that made your car run on half the cylinders and didn't tell you about it, I'm pretty sure you'd be upset.

Last edited:

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I like my solution: If your phone needs a battery, get one and move on. If your phone does NOT need a battery, continue as you would normally and continue on with your life.

The problem is that this seems to affect phones that don't need a new battery. If so, it's far beyond a maintenance issue.
[doublepost=1514250680][/doublepost]
My SUV with over 100,000 miles does not operate as well as it did when I bought it brand new. I'm suing GM because the parts are wearing out and making my vehicle less efficient.

If GM silently deactivated half of your cylinders you should sue them.

Reactions: Kmart9419

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

jgiannakas

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
Oh dear one of those threads again. It’s simple if your phone doesn’t last as long as it used to, change the battery.

Usually as you approach the 1.5 to 2 year mark assuming you use your phone daily you’ll have about 700 cycles on the battery. At that point the battery would be about 50-60% if it’s original capacity or less, so you’d definitely notice as you’d need to charge during the day while before you didn’t. So simply replace it. As a rule of thumb replace the battery every 18-24 months and you’ll be fine. It’s a cheap thing to do and you can even diy it for under 20-30 gbp.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Exactly. You can research this before you buy. It's not done silently. It's not done with customer knowledge. Apple's approach is different.
Well actually GM didn’t ask customers if they wanted the feature and you can’t choose to not use it so if you ask me it’s very similar. I guess you can choose to not buy the car but, most car companies use this technology to meet EPA ratings

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So remember when Apple removed the ability for battery apps to read information such as cycle counts in iOS 10? This way they could limit customer information on their devices battery health and hopefully save a few bucks on customers asking for warranty replacements.

Well that got me thinking: Since Apple already put out an iOS update that silently slipped in CPU throttling with no way to turn it off... why not also put out an iOS update that removes the ability for benchmarking apps like Geekbench to read information like CPU speeds?

This way Apple not only can A] throttle customers devices like they are right now (hopefully causing most to get frustrated with the slow speeds and throw more $$$ at Apple to upgrade to a non-throttled device) but B] they also get to keep everyone in the dark so they can’t complain or sue about anti-consumer behavior!

Seems like a perfect, Apple-like solution to the problem right? :D

P.S. if anyone asks questions as to why Apple blocked the ability to read CPU speeds... simply call it a “feature” and all will be right again :p
One hysterical thread from you on this topic wasn’t enough?

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States

Agreed. This isn’t some huge scandal or planned obsolescence plan. Whether of not Apple was CPU throttling or not, That was not the real issue. It’s a response to how the batteries in these models couldn’t beat Father Time. These same people (including me) were and would’ve continued to complain about our phones randomly shutting down at apparent 40% battery life if this wasn’t the case.
[doublepost=1514253178][/doublepost]
And how is one supposed to know that their phone's battery needs replacing?
When your phone skips from 9% to 30% immediately after plugging to a charger...then after dealing with this crap for 3.7 months, you decide to finally call Apple Support and have them run a diagnostic check only to confirm what you already speculated...

iphonenewuser

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
IMO, I absolutely think throttling iPhone base on degrading battery is a way Apple silently force iPhone user to buy new iPhones. Look at hardware components in recent iPhone generations, they are so strong that 6s works smoothly as 7, no special features in new generations, users will stick in the current devices until "something" wrong happens.
iOS users have to live with and love what Apple give them.

Bill91LX

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
With all these hysterical threads, you’d think Apple took away oxygen. For everyone who’s apoplectic about this issue- get some therapy. It’s a phone. Just a phone. Pokemon will still load, even if it takes another half a second.

Join a dating site or something, but please find another hobby. This isn’t a big deal.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
So Apple has FW that tries to extend the life of your phone as the battery becomes less efficient and people complain. They would probably be the same people complaining that their phone only lasts 2 hours on a charge if Apple didn't do this. And we would be hearing "Apple is forcing us to buy a new phone"

Reactions: bhayes444

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Well actually GM didn’t ask customers if they wanted the feature and you can’t choose to not use it so if you ask me it’s very similar. I guess you can choose to not buy the car but, most car companies use this technology to meet EPA ratings

And if you want full power you have no option to access it? You do.

What you're describing is more like modern phones using low power chipsets in low demand situations to conserve energy. There's a benefit. Then, you can also have full power. Benefit. I like this approach in both phones and cars.

Apple is just screwing over its customers. No option. No immediate or free recourse. No cost savings. No environmental benefit. No disclosure. It's a completely different situation.

Reactions: iSilas

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
And if you want full power you have no option to access it? You do.

What you're describing is more like modern phones using low power chipsets in low demand situations to conserve energy. There's a benefit. Then, you can also have full power. Benefit. I like this approach in both phones and cars.

Apple is just screwing over its customers. No option. No immediate or free recourse. No cost savings. No environmental benefit. No disclosure. It's a completely different situation.
Not to nitpick, but with cars you don’t really have full access to all the power. Sure that fuel saving measure will stop functioning if you smash on the gas, but in no way do you get the full power of the car like it was new off the factory line. Degradation of components occur, and the engine just doesn’t run as smoothly anymore giving you less power than when it was new. Only way to restore power is to put quite a bit of money into it replacing, cleaning, and tuning parts. So, in a way it is very similar to what happens with the throttling due to reduced battery performance, and the only way to restore performance is to replace some parts.

Now, this whole situation wouldn’t have been as big of a deal if Apple would’ve designed the phone to operate at full power, taking into consideration voltage drop on older batteries. Then again, I’m not an engineer or designer so it sounds way easier to me than it is to do.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
With all these hysterical threads, you’d think Apple took away oxygen. For everyone who’s apoplectic about this issue- get some therapy. It’s a phone. Just a phone. Pokemon will still load, even if it takes another half a second.

Join a dating site or something, but please find another hobby. This isn’t a big deal.

Your post is rather blunt, however, I do have to agree with you. Even with the potential slowdown, at what point does the average iPhone consumer think to themselves that the application opened up one or two seconds less faster than what they were used to because of 'Throttling'. Most will never even think about something like this, only for certain indviduals on a tech forum come up with some conjectured theory that's negligible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.