Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaitlin4599

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
United States
idk where else to ask this? i currently use an old windows phone lumia 820 but it needs to be replaced. the only phone i can afford from the at&t go phone prepaid system is an iphone 6s anyone have experience with this phone? asking because i hear a lot of people say the 6s was a ***** phone and i dont wanna buy it if its junk

if it matters i cant use a contract plan for personal reasons i dont wanna get into so prepaid is my only option

also its the 32gig model also how good is the battery on this thing?

below is a pic of the phone im looking at

Screenshot (45).png

iikaros

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
This will work great for texting, calls, emails, facetime, light web browsing, etc. It is not a phone for gaming. It is a phone for productivity.

It is not a piece of junk. Anyone who says so is spoiled by having the first world problem of always having the newest sh*t. The 6s will do what you need it to do, and do it within your budget.

That being said, within the next 2 years it is highly likely that Apple will stop providing software updates for this phone. Since you are still using a Lumia 820 I'll venture a guess and say that you don't care about not receiving extended support for the device. Keep this in mind: when the phone stops receiving software updates it will still work just fine. Just wanted to throw this in here to be objective about the purchase.

If you can afford it, and it is your best option, go for it.

kaitlin4599

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
United States
This will work great for texting, calls, emails, facetime, light web browsing, etc. It is not a phone for gaming. It is a phone for productivity.

It is not a piece of junk. Anyone who says so is spoiled by having the first world problem of always having the newest sh*t. The 6s will do what you need it to do, and do it within your budget.

That being said, within the next 2 years it is highly likely that Apple will stop providing software updates for this phone. Since you are still using a Lumia 820 I'll venture a guess and say that you don't care about not receiving extended support for the device. Keep this in mind: when the phone stops receiving software updates it will still work just fine. Just wanted to throw this in here to be objective about the purchase.

If you can afford it, and it is your best option, go for it.

i dont even game on my windows phone in fact my windows phone is only used for texting calls and light web browsing

Reactions: compwiz1202

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
My sister has the iPhone 6s and it works great for what she does. Texting, web browsing, social media, even gaming and video editing. The only complaint she has is the battery life, it’s very mediocre

Reactions: compwiz1202

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
idk where else to ask this? i currently use an old windows phone lumia 820 but it needs to be replaced. the only phone i can afford from the at&t go phone prepaid system is an iphone 6s anyone have experience with this phone? asking because i hear a lot of people say the 6s was a ***** phone and i dont wanna buy it if its junk

if it matters i cant use a contract plan for personal reasons i dont wanna get into so prepaid is my only option

also its the 32gig model also how good is the battery on this thing?

below is a pic of the phone im looking at

View attachment 921658
If your budget is such you can't spend more, its a good phone. But the battery life on it is pretty poor if you use it moderately. I see 6 and 6s users utilizing a charger at work. But for calls, texting, etc... its a good phone. In its time, it was a great phone to be honest, I loved using mine.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
The 6s is the worst battery life in any smartphone that exists today. If it’s on >= iOS 11. And it will be.

You’ll be better served by Android unless you can afford an iPhone that’s at most 1-2 years old.

Reactions: ian87w

kaitlin4599

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
United States
The 6s is the worst battery life in any smartphone that exists today. If it’s on >= iOS 11. And it will be.

You’ll be better served by Android unless you can afford an iPhone that’s at most 1-2 years old.

well assuming it is on ios 11 cant i just upgrade the ios to a newer one?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
well assuming it is on ios 11 cant i just upgrade the ios to a newer one?

That’s the issue. The newer the OS the worse the batter/performance. If it’s on newer than iOS 11, you’re screwed. If not, you lose app support. Don’t buy an iPhone unless you can afford a X or newer (8 will not do).

Slippery Gimp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Leeds, UK
I had one and I don’t remember the battery life being any worse than any iPhone I had before it. I charged it once a day (evenings usually). The battery inside an iPhone 6S bought now may not be at 100% capacity though, although it’s cheap to replace it if you need to.

Reactions: DieselFiend1989

kaitlin4599

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
United States
so im on the fence on upgrading my old windows phone to a 6s its the only new in box iphone i can afford. anyhow i read alot about the 6s having battery life issues anything i need to know should i be worried? i dont wanna buy a new in box 6s if its gonna have battery issues

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I had one and I don’t remember the battery life being any worse than any iPhone I had before it. I charged it once a day (evenings usually). The battery inside an iPhone 6S bought now may not be at 100% capacity though, although it’s cheap to replace it if you need to.

Its battery will only be bad on a new iOS version. It doesn’t matter if the capacity is 100%, it won’t last more than 2 hrs SOT tops.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I'm still using a 6S i had from new in the January after they were released, its still getting updates from Apple and will apparently get iOS14. Its still plenty quick enough for me to use and the only slight issue i have is that the battery is on its way out but thats because its getting on a bit and been used for years so the battery health is dropping, a new\refurbished unit wont have this issue. Mine when it was new was more than good enough battery wise.

I never agree with the stuff about new iOS versions killing battery, mine has been fine and the only reason its struggling is because the battery is years old. I've never seen any drop based on installing updates. I've always been on the latest version normally installed by an OTA update and had no issues.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
At this day of age get the iPhone SE 2020 and future proof your self the iPhone 6S has may be one or two more iOS updates and it’s done

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
For basic tasks a 6s is probably still good today. I wouldn’t be too concerned with the battery unless you are a heavy user of the device. But in all fairness the current SE is probably a much better device.

Reactions: rui no onna

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Don’t let them scare you about bad battery life. Any $99 phone is going to be about the same at this point with the latest software. Since you are looking at a NEW device, not a used one, you have even less to worry about. The only reason my wife upgraded from her 6S in fall of 2019 was because she dropped it and broke it to the point that upgrading was a better option. You’ll be just fine with a 6S.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
That’s the issue. The newer the OS the worse the batter/performance. If it’s on newer than iOS 11, you’re screwed. If not, you lose app support. Don’t buy an iPhone unless you can afford a X or newer (8 will not do).
The 8 would actually be perfect. Its supported and runs iOS 13 and no doubt 14 and 15.

I'd say minimum aim for an iphone 7 in 2020 personally. 6S whilst it will run ok for you I think the battery will be on the poor side.

If you go for 6s maybe get a battery case of some kind by mophie.

Reactions: retta283

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
In the end, it depends on your budget.

Looking at that page, amongst the selections, the 32GB 6s for $99 is actually a decent deal.

The catch is, like another has said, is battery life. The 6s has a tiny battery for 2020. Add on battery age, its battery probably is not in tip top shape. In terms of usage, the 6s will be fine for light usage. However, if you are a heavy messaging / social media usage, you will feel the short battery life.

So I would suggest adding a powerbank into your budget, or the cost to replace the battery in the future.

Performance wise, the 6s is superior than most Android in this price range. Majority of Android in $100 range use slow Snapdragon 4xx chip and eMMC storage. The 6s with its A9 and nVMe storage is simply superior.

Last edited:

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
That’s a pretty good deal for a 6S and if that is all you can afford, I know you’ll be able to get by with it. It is a few years old and anything newer would be better but those are still usable. The batteries can be replaced if that is ever an issue as well

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Gotta agree with anyone who says the iPhone 6S is still a good phone and this sounds like a good deal. If your biggest concern is the battery life, don't let that be your determining factor. Almost everyone complains about battery life and I can't believe in today's world, folks don't have access to a charger if needed. I mean for $10 you can get a portable charger and carry it in your pocket with you. So yeah OP, I'd go for it, if I were you.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The iPhone 6S should be okay for the described usage. It's brand new with fresh battery so you're probably looking at daily charging with light to moderate use.

You won't be able to get the iPhone 8 or SE 2020 for $100 in good condition so if that's all your budget allows, the 6S is a good choice. There's a 6S in the household and while it's slower than the Apple A13-based SE 2020, the difference isn't night and day.

Personally, between the 6S and $100 Android phones, I'd also take the 6S. Particularly so for carrier branded Android filled with bloatware. It's getting a bit up there in years but I'm guessing it'll still perform better than your Lumia.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Interesting advice? Why is an iPhone 8 no good when even an iPhone 7 is perfectly capable in 2020?

OP, the iPhone 6S is one of the best iPhones released but it is a 5 year old device now. I loved mine and its still going strong in my fathers hands albeit with fairly poor battery life. If this isn't too much of an issue then its a decent iPhone for basic to moderate use.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Great little phone. Replaced battery after 3 yrs almost 2 years ago and it still runs at 99%. Apple will stop support before battery issues become the overwhelming issue. I wouldn't hesitate on purchasing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.