Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
iPhone 8 and below all suck in terms of battery life. iPhone 7 is worse. 6s is worse still. Assuming you’re on the same iOS version, example iOS 13.

Lop1

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2014
iPhone 8 and below all suck in terms of battery life. iPhone 7 is worse. 6s is worse still. Assuming you’re on the same iOS version, example iOS 13.
Please aakshey stop spitting on the 6S, it is a very very good machine with plenty of battery for a NORMAL user. You are always crying about these machines but everybody agree that they are very good for a NORMAL human being.
So please stop your pity comments.

For 99$ go for it, with a brand new battery it is a wonderful machine

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
For a normal user the iPhone 7 and 8 battery life are OK

It is not. My sister has an iPhone 8. My mom has an iPhone 7. My dad has an iPhone SE 2016. All were new or had new batteries till a few months ago.

All of them are light users and charge several times a day.

iPhone 7 has like 3 hrs SOT from 100% to 0% with a fresh battery. iPhone 8 is a bit better. iPhone 6s is slightly worse than the 7. As is the SE.
[automerge]1591382132[/automerge]
Please aakshey stop spitting on the 6S, it is a very very good machine with plenty of battery for a NORMAL user. You are always crying about these machines but everybody agree that they are very good for a NORMAL human being.
So please stop your pity comments.

For 99$ go for it, with a brand new battery it is a wonderful machine

You have no idea how far you can go with USD 200 in the Android world. iPhones are only worth it if you can afford the SE or XR or above.

• Haha
Reactions: JBGoode

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You have no idea how far you can go with USD 200 in the Android world.
I have both a Pixel 3a XL (primary phone) and a 6s (my wife's old iPhone). The battery in the 6s is trash, but that's only because she was on the phone nearly all day every day during the 4.5 years it was her primary phone. My own 6s+ is still doing fine.

But this isn't a post about the battery of the 6s/6s+. It's a response about Android.

I've been using pure Android for a year now and I'm comfortable with it. But I find nothing about it that I like better than iOS. I'll continue paying on this phone because I got it on payments but when the time comes my next phone will be an iPhone. Hopefully the damn camera bump will be gone by then. We'll see.

I find nothing about the hardware on my Pixel exceptional or much different from what I was using my 6s+ for. The battery is decent, but only marginally better than my almost five year old 6s+ (and my 6s+ has 75% of capacity left).

This also isn't a diss on Android, but more a comparison of my Pixel to my 6s+ and my wife's 6s. So far I've found no real difference and I am comparing a one year old Pixel to a 4.5 year old 6s/6s+.
iPhones are only worth it if you can afford the SE or XR or above.
Yeah, that's a non-starter. My son is using an SE (original SE) and does just fine. So does my daughter with her seven year old iPhone 5.

I've got a 3GS, a 4, a 4s, a 5, a 6s and a 6s+. All do just fine. Your experience, your family's experience is relative to you and your family.

Last edited:
Reactions: DieselFiend1989

kaitlin4599

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
United States
I have both a Pixel 3a XL (primary phone) and a 6s (my wife's old iPhone). The battery in the 6s is trash, but that's only because she was on the phone nearly all day ever day during the 4.5 years it was her primary phone. My own 6s+ is still doing fine.

But this isn't a post about the battery of the 6s/6s+. It's a response about Android.

I've been using pure Android for a year now and I'm comfortable with it. But I find nothing about it that I like better than iOS. I'll continue paying on this phone because I got it on payments but when the time comes my next phone will be an iPhone. Hopefully the damn camera bump will be gone by then. We'll see.

I find nothing about the hardware on my Pixel exceptional or much different from what I was using my 6s+ for. The battery is decent, but only marginally better than my almost five year old 6s+ (and my 6s+ has 75% of capacity left).

This also isn't a diss on Android, but more a comparison of my Pixel to my 6s+ and my wife's 6s. So far I've found no real difference and I am comparing a one year old Pixel to a 4.5 year old 6s/6s+.

Yeah, that's a non-starter. My son is using an SE (original SE) and does just fine. So does my daughter with her seven year old iPhone 5.

I've got a 3GS, a 4, a 4s, a 5, a 6s and a 6s+. All do just fine. Your experience, your family's experience is relative to you and your family.

so heres the situation i only use my phone when im out of the house which is maybe 2 maybe 3 days a week but im not gona all day i mainly use my phone for texting calls and the ocassional web browsing im not much for gaming on my phone nor am i much for loads of apps

so would a 6s still be worth it? given the battery issues

Reactions: DieselFiend1989

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
so heres the situation i only use my phone when im out of the house which is maybe 2 maybe 3 days a week but im not gona all day i mainly use my phone for texting calls and the ocassional web browsing im not much for gaming on my phone nor am i much for loads of apps

I think so. You're getting a phone with a new battery. When my wife's 6s was new she was on it all day using YouTube, internet, calls, texts and once in a while emails. It lasted her pretty much for a few hours of all that. And when I say calls, I don't mean quick. She talks a lot to her family and those calls can go over an hour.

Now of course it hits about 50% just sitting off the charger over night. But again, your 6s would be new.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
The battery life won't be great if you're a medium-heavy user. If you're a light user who just wants a phone for texts, calls, a bit of web browsing, it'll do fine. Especially since stand by battery loss is very low. The 6S is also very snappy considering its age.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
iPhone 7 has like 3 hrs SOT from 100% to 0% with a fresh battery.
This is not my experience at all. I have two iPhone 7s, one work and one personal. The personal phone is down to 87% battery capacity, and I do have to charge it once during the day (moderate to heavy usage). The work phone has 100% capacity and lasts the day easily (light usage).

Reactions: eyoungren

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My sister has the iPhone 6s and it works great for what she does. Texting, web browsing, social media, even gaming and video editing. The only complaint she has is the battery life, it’s very mediocre
I have an 11 pro max and I upgrade my phone every year. I’ve just bought an original SE as a back up phone. Small screen size and lower resolution aside I don’t think I’ll be too bothered by performance. Yes my 11 pro max will be a lot faster and smoother. However last year I used my cousins iPad mini 2 when she stayed with us after she cane back from travelling in Asia. It was fine. Yes my iPad mini 5 was faster and had a nicer screen but the mini 2 was fast enough and I could do the things I wanted to do

Reactions: eyoungren

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I just worked on a 6S last week. It’s not horrible and maybe quicker than what you are used to. There are tweaks you can make to iOS to enhance performance and extend battery life a bit. It is what it is though. And if you need a new battery just hit up a kiosk somewhere. Don’t let these guys scare you. It’s easy to get used to a fast machine. And for some people spending a thousand bucks on a phone every year makes them feel good.

• Love
Reactions: kaitlin4599

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Battery life is all about age, settings, and usage.
I think something else factors in though. The battery on my 6s+ is still good (about 75% of new). This is despite the fact that for 4.5 years the screen was on all night as my bedside clock (while plugged in) and despite 3 years or so of being driven around inside a hot car. And by hot car, I mean no A/C with windows that do not roll down during Phoenix, AZ heat from May to October where the temp is not less than 100º Fahrenheit every day.

I think quality of design is probably that something else.

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Do you have any other choice? That's a pretty old version of iPhone. Not a good choice for an iPhone (in my opinion), but you can settle for that if you do not have any other choices.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
My brother has an iPhone 6 and his battery lasts all day with light use. If you're on the phone all day you'll need a battery pack. Yes it's not an iPhone 11 so the battery won't last as long. Some people in the tech forums tend to be elitists in the sense that if you don't have the latest iPhone Pro Max it's just garbage.

Reactions: tranceking26

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
It's a good deal. I've used my 6s since the day iOS 9.1 came out and it's been great.

I did replace the battery at the Apple store and also bought a mophie juice battery case which gets me through each day no problem. Found that on eBay for a reasonable price brand new.

iRadio

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
I still use my 6s as my running phone, battery life is pretty poor nowadays but the phone itself is very useable, and doesnt appear that much slower on basic tasks than my 11pro.
Its still a decent phone, provided battery life doesnt become a problem.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

It's not about gaming per se. It's about having the screen on all the time (which is why I consider social media and messaging can show battery life problems, even if those activities are not taxing to the CPU).

I think you would be fine. Some general battery tips would be setting your screen brightness to auto and set the slider to just a quarter over the minimum, and set the auto lock to be like 30 seconds. In light usage, the screen is probably the biggest battery usage (other than low signal).

I would still get a powerbank though. Even 5000mAh ones are quite small nowadays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.