Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
I was looking at Icculus's website finger (Ryan Gordon, the uber mac game coder: think UT2k3, UT2k4, AA, etc.) at http://www.icculus.org a few days ago, and noticed he had some gripes about the isight in reference to his OpenAL update news:

In other news, that damned iSight camera works as a microphone, and only transmits data at 48KHz, which is a format I never expected to see, and thus crashes ut2004 on startup if it's your primary input device (which, on most G4 towers, it will be your ONLY input device, so this isn't uncommon).

To add insult to injury, the damned thing won't run a HAL callback if you've got the System Preferences sound panel open. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or yet another corner case CoreAudio expects you to handle without documentation.

Sorry, I'm a bit pissy this morning.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
PC Compatability

Excuse my ignorance! but could the firmware update be part of some kind of cunning masterplan to bring the iSight to the PC world....?

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Re: PC Compatability

Originally posted by Craigy
Excuse my ignorance! but could the firmware update be part of some kind of cunning masterplan to bring the iSight to the PC world....?

I think iSights all-ready work on Windows with the latest AIM application. On OSX iSight can be used as an audio source but on Windows it is only a video source.

New Firmware could make the device fully compatible with Windows. I am sure that Apple would love to sell more peripherals to the Windows market.

Re: Re: PC Compatability

Originally posted by Sol
I think iSights all-ready work on Windows with the latest AIM application. On OSX iSight can be used as an audio source but on Windows it is only a video source.

New Firmware could make the device fully compatible with Windows. I am sure that Apple would love to sell more peripherals to the Windows market.

i sight isnt supported by windows or the aim 5.5

video conferencing between ichat and aim is supported, so video from an ichat with isight can be viewed by an aim 5.5 client on windows.

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
Re: Re: Re: PC Compatability

Originally posted by virividox
i sight isnt supported by windows or the aim 5.5

I'm too lazy to go check, but I remember seeing forum posts somewhere (either here or apple support forums) that people did do exactly that (Windows+AIM+isightVideo).

unsupport<>impossible

video conferencing between ichat and aim is supported,
so video from an ichat with isight can not be viewed by an aim 5.5 client on windows.
huh? could you clarify?

And yes, the above post re: firmware to sell iSights to windows users makes good sense... I wouldn't be suprised if there isn't some sort of AOL tie-in, but I don't see how. Also I've had problems using iSight with a usb cam (as opposed to FW), but I haven't spent more than 5 min trying yet.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
What I ment was.....

Could a firmware upgrade make the iSight USB 2 compatabile using the firewire conector to USB cable as per the ipod?.... Maybe?

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
iSight DOES work on windows, without mic support. AOL and Apple said so in a press release when AIM beta became ichat compatible. Theres no reason why it wouldn't...it's only a nicely designed firewire cam afterall.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I've used iSight on Windows (MSN) just fine, however, I couldn't use it under AIM 5.5 - on the preview screen - AIM claimed I didn't have a camera.... same for my brother, who has some other webcam (not an iSight).

Really don't know why AIM 5.5 refuses to recognise my iSight.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
Originally posted by Dippo
I didn't know that the iSight had firmware to update, weird.

If you look in System Profile you'll see the iSight has a firmware version of 1.0

Maybe this possible update will address the fact that the iSight runs very warm even when it should be in standby ie. the green light is not on.

Neil

jasonfj

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2004
iSight/iChat AV does have a major bug. I have an Igniter video editing card installed with associated drivers which conflict with the camera, resulting in 'Camera in use by another application' every time I launch iChat, and no image.

There are many reports of this sort of conflict on various discussion boards, including Apple's. Hopefully this will fix it, and I can actually use the camera I bought 3 months ago.

orb

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
iSight problems

Does anyone have a problem with their iSight when the computer sleeps? When I hook my iSight to my cube and put it to sleep, the iSight goes into sleep mode and the green light even does the make pulsing dance. Unfortunately, every cycle of that also causes my iSight to make a loud clicking noise. The only irregularity is that I have the iSight daisy chained through a firewire drive. (it's easier to disconnect and connect to my iBook that way)

Is something that all iSight users experience? I don't want to try and debug a problem if that's just the way it works...

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
so it doesn't work, or it does work with pc users? obviously it works partially and that's exactly why i have gotten one. most of my friends and family with whom i'd use it with are on pc :( so i'll be waiting a while longer.

whenders0n

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
GarageBand

Let's hope this update makes the iSight compatible with GarageBand! It would be a great way to record (indeed, I use it to record now, but I have to go a really indirect and ineffecient route. sounds great though).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.