Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
Originally posted by york2600
I certainly hope not. Besides it wouldn't go over real well in the PC world unless it was USB 2

Then all the better to keep it FireWire then :D

Seriously though, USB2 or Firewire on a PC, who really cares? A PCI Firewire card is quite cheap to buy and Firewire has the better bus anyway.

peteMG

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Re: GarageBand

Originally posted by whenders0n
Let's hope this update makes the iSight compatible with GarageBand!
Heh. Not only will it be compatible, it'll integrate into GB in a totally novel way: One click music videos.

That's right. As you sing your ditty, it records the footage of your face and subtracts the background. Then, when the song is ready, you add a crazy background of your choice (beach babes, dancers, landscapes, an iPhoto album (omg), iTunes visualizations) and voila! Ready for upload to MTV.

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
Re: iSight problems

I highly recommended checking the forums at Cubeowner.com:
http://www.cubeowner.com/forums/index.php
(specifically "Cube Hardware Support::power/VRM/PSU/Sleep Sub Forum" in or maybe: "Cube Hardware Support::USB, Firewire and Audio Sub Forum")

Anything on anything about cubes, you'll find it here.

The cube has some interesting sleep issues already, I wouldn't be suprised if it's a cube-only problem. I would also make sure your cube firmware is up-to-date, which I assume it is if you're running panther.

Originally posted by orb
Does anyone have a problem with their iSight when the computer sleeps? When I hook my iSight to my cube and put it to sleep, the iSight goes into sleep mode and the green light even does the make pulsing dance. Unfortunately, every cycle of that also causes my iSight to make a loud clicking noise. The only irregularity is that I have the iSight daisy chained through a firewire drive. (it's easier to disconnect and connect to my iBook that way)

Is something that all iSight users experience? I don't want to try and debug a problem if that's just the way it works...

______
update: I searched Cubeowner for you, and there is a small thread about it here I would also check Apple's forums (go to apple.com, click big tab SUPPORT, then click little tab DISCUSSIONS).

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The video of iSight *DOES* work with windows... however, the microphone part does *not* work.

Also, whilst iSight works with MSN Chat, I cannot get it to work with AIM 5.5 - it just refuses to acknowledge I have a camera.

This isn't a big deal because the video is more important and you can get microphones for next to nothing.

Originally posted by mrsebastian
so it doesn't work, or it does work with pc users? obviously it works partially and that's exactly why i have gotten one. most of my friends and family with whom i'd use it with are on pc :( so i'll be waiting a while longer.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The iSight has plenty of bugs -- or at least one or two really nasty critters. Mine was so flaky right out of the box, I nearly sent it back for repair -- until I realized that nearly all of them have the same set of problems. The main issue appears to be the FireWire cable, which Apple made too thin to work reliably (resulting in the infamous "no camera is connected" message in iChat). Quite a few people have tried connecting them with full-sized FireWire cables. This works for me, but then of course you can't attach the camera to the included mounting brackets, which kind of defeats the point. A firmware fix? I sure hope so.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Well the firm wear upgrade probably isn't going to do anything liek this, but Apple could make many friends if iSight/AV Chat could multicast based on who was speaking/selected to allow cheap multiparty video conferencing...

marano

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2003
New Jersey
it would be cool if the firmware update would allow you to connect your iSight to your ipod and dump recorded video on it

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Re: GarageBand

Glad to hear someone else is concerned with this. I mentioned this issue on another thread and had some fairly pompous responses from people who thought it perfectly acceptable that iSight is incompatable with GarageBand. They pointed out that I was probably ill-equipped to post because of my lack of audio, production, etc. knowledge. I, however, attempted to point out that GarageBand is an "iLife" product from Apple... as such, it should just work with current Apple equipment.

I may not be a production engineer, but I do find it frustrating that iSight doesn't work with GarageBand. I hope this update fixes this issue.

I'd also be curious to find out your "work-around"

Originally posted by whenders0n
Let's hope this update makes the iSight compatible with GarageBand! It would be a great way to record (indeed, I use it to record now, but I have to go a really indirect and ineffecient route. sounds great though).

AVON

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Use iSight with GarageBand

I don't have GarageBand, but I can use the iSight to record audio -- just have to select it as my audio input device in System Audio Preferences. Does that not change the input for GarageBand too?

zellin

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by marano
it would be cool if the firmware update would allow you to connect your iSight to your ipod and dump recorded video on it
I doubt it. As the iSight doesn't have a hard drive, it would have to record directly into the iPod... I'm not even sure if it's currently possible.

kanaka

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
It's out!

It's available in Software Update now.

iSight is a state-of-the-art video camera that's the easiest way to video conference with your colleagues, friends and family over broadband.

The iSight 1.0.2 update provides improved auto exposure and auto white balance functionality, enhanced IIDC compliance and better overall performance. The iSight 1.0.2 update is recommended for all iSight users.

For information about iSight, visit the Apple website at http://www.apple.com/isight/. For iSight support information, visit http://www.apple.com/support/isight/.

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Re: It's out!

Originally posted by kanaka
It's available in Software Update now.

yup. Just installed (Seemed really weird installing something on the actually iSight, but, hey, whatever. lol

anyway, officially, I guess it's 1.0.2 (v44) - at least that's what was in the 'about iSight updater' menu. And now there is an iSight Updater app in my utilities folder. hmmm...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.