Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N00bMuffy

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
After installing for about an hour the screen on my LG went black. Power to the Mini was on as indicated by the little white LED on the Mini. Tried waking the Mini with the Escape button, tried Command + L to see if it was still updating. Tried waking the monitor up with it's function button. Tried unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in. All just solid dark screen. Tried starting in Safe Mode (shift with starting up) and nothing. Had to actually Reset the SMC to get it going.

iTunes is now called Music. It reset all my View prefs. Wish I would have taken a screenshot of my iTunes setup before upgrading so I could get it back to how I like it. ?
[automerge]1570485836[/automerge]

I had the same issue with macMini 2018 connected to LG 4K TV. The fix that worked for me is to change a setting in the TV. Toggle ON the setting for HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color, it’s found in advanced Picture settings of the tv.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Given Apple have issued a bulletin advising Mac Mini users not to upgrade to Catalina it at least means they acknowledge there is an issue but also means there is no quick fix.

Kwozzii

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
No picture on my LG OLED either, waiting for a USB-C to HDMI adapter to turn up so I can try that..

Kwozzii

Update: all seems to be working ok with the adapter, bit of a faff having to buy a dongle to sort the problem out though.

Last edited:

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
That's good to know. On my LG monitor the HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color was already on.

I have set my Energy Saver to never sleep the monitor. Instead I turn off the monitor when I'm walking away from it.

If this display bug is related to sleep on the Mac, I think this will help until they come up with a fix. Since I changed that setting I haven't had any problems but it's only been a day or two since I changed it.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I really hope a fix for this is released soon. :-(

The only solution that appears to work in all instances is to use a USB-C to HDMI or DP cable. HDMI to HDMI is the cause in all cases it appears.

The cable that seems to work in everyone I have seen fixing their issue is this one, but any good quality cable should work.

TinHead88

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
I ended up reverting to Mojave and will be avoiding Catelina for a long time. This is the first time I've ever had to do that. Catelina provides little benefit but causes lots of problems. Never thought this would happen with a new Mac and OS.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
I am in the same boat as you for now.

However, I remember the shift from OS9 to OSX beta and couldn't believe how garbage the system was then! Slowly but surely, revision after revision, it started to make sense. I'd say this leap from Mojave to Catalina is almost as shocking as that transition.

Reactions: user_xyz

Andy P

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
I think my issue is now resolved. They ended up replacing y logic board, but the issue was likely software as we all suspected. Apparently 10.15.1 was supposed to correct the problems...

Apparently NOT ALL upgrades to 10.15.1 are created equally. For those running 10.15.1 and still having issues, but you have a functioning display (however you may have accomplished that)... go to the "apple menu" and select "about this MAC". Select "system report". In the listing tat comes up under "hardware" go do to "Graphics/Displays", select that. The last item in the listing that comes up under "Displays" (which should be your connected display) you will see "Adapter Firmware Version:" it SHOULD BE "2.15"

Apparently some 10.15.1 installs were NOT installing this for whatever reason. If it is anything other than 2.15, that is BELIEVED to be the issue... (or at least one of the issues). Hope this helps someone go in the right direction. MOST of the Apple people I dealt with were not at all helpful. Thank goodness for the guy I got last night. I hope my 2 MONTH Nightmare is finally over.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Hmmmm....
Just checked MY "adapter firmware version" and it's...
Why is yours "running behind"...?

Andy P

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
Hmmmm....
Just checked MY "adapter firmware version" and it's...
Why is yours "running behind"...?

That's VERY interesting... I just updated the just installed "new logic board" to Catalina on 11/22 Friday night. The "new" board they installed had Mojave on it. I wonder if the hardware configuration has something to do with the version used. I went strait from Mojave 10.14 to Catalina 10.15.1

After the update, Apple's "senior tech support" rep immediately asked to check. He stated that some people were on 2.14 after the update and in his experience (finally someone who admitted to having dealt with the issue before) those were the ones having issues.

In case it might help someone with more technical knowledge, here is my hardware configuration:

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini8,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB
Boot ROM Version: 1037.40.124.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.11081.0.0,0)

Intel UHD Graphics 630:
Chipset Model: Intel UHD Graphics 630
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB
Vendor: Intel
Device ID:
Revision ID: 0x0000
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1
Displays:

LG HDR 4K:
Resolution: 6016 x 3384
UI Looks like: 3008 x 1692 @ 60 Hz
Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Adapter Type: DVI or HDMI
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
Adapter Firmware Version: 2.15

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Fortunately my i7 mini with an NEC EA275WMi via HDMI is still running Mojave. My MBP runs Catalina and I cannot see anything that I like about Catalina enough to upgrade the mini. Other than occasionally losing one or more of the hard drives in my OWC Thunderbay 6 the mini runs just fine. I think I'll leave it that way.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
The adapter firmware version for my main display (in Mojave 10.14.4) is "11.1d"...
The other display is "2.0a".
(Mac Mini 2018 i7)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.