Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
I've been using Siri to control my Hue lights for a few years - ever since the HomePod was originally released.

Recently, however when I ask Siri to do something I'm told "It looks as if you haven't set up any Homekit accessories..." which is incredibly annoying.

I've tried everything. Even deleting my home and starting from scratch. I can see all of the Hue lights and accessories on the Home app screen so cannot understand why Siri seems to be resolutely denying that I have them. Occasionally it has worked, but not consistently.

Anyone have any suggestions? Am running iOS 15 and HomePod 15 and latest Hue software...

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
No suggestions apart from sit out out, but I’ve had this, then it came back, as has a friend of mine. This current round of version 15 software is just a complete and utter abortion.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
No suggestions apart from sit out out, but I’ve had this, then it came back, as has a friend of mine. This current round of version 15 software is just a complete and utter abortion.

Agreed. After 4 months of beta testing, all they did was bork the release. HomeKit and CarPlay are both badly flawed at this point. I am sure there are more of Apple's own wares not working correctly.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
have you unplugged and replugged the HomePod?

that normally fixes the "can't find devices" problem. (sometimes it can see some but not all of the devices in my house, other times they all stop working)

I know it's time for a reboot when I hear "who's speaking", that normally means home has stop working also.
happens every couple weeks or so.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2006
The problem is that I have 8 HomePods...

I get this from any of them. Earlier I tried clearing the cache on the hue app and that seemed to work, but then after an hour or so it was back to the usual problem

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Agreed. After 4 months of beta testing, all they did was bork the release. HomeKit and CarPlay are both badly flawed at this point. I am sure there are more of Apple's own wares not working correctly.
Was tempted to update but I think I'll wait. Don't want to risk messing up my HomeKit settings as everything is running smoothly.

heavysoul

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2020
Shoreham-by-Sea
I also have this problem telling me I've not got anything set up! Everything is there in the 'Home' app ... and I can control my mights using Siri on my iPhone ... but my HomePod mini just isn't interested ... which is really annoying as I use it to turn all the lights in the house off when in bed and about to sleep. Very annoying!

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
Yes, I’m replying to this thread almost a half year later. Why? Because I have this issue—along with a hundred others—with four HomePod minis and three Nanoleaf bulbs. In short, HomePods were okay—just okay— before iOS 15. However, since iOS 15, the entire homekit, HomePod experience has been an affront to the gods. I swear, Siri has the intelligence level of the offspring of a muskrat and rusted nail. HomePods are pieces of steaming hot garbage and work less than 50% of the time. For as much as Apple can make some really “they just work” devices, I’ve never seen anything remotely close to this atrocity.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yes, I’m replying to this thread almost a half year later. Why? Because I have this issue—along with a hundred others—with four HomePod minis and three Nanoleaf bulbs. In short, HomePods were okay—just okay— before iOS 15. However, since iOS 15, the entire homekit, HomePod experience has been an affront to the gods. I swear, Siri has the intelligence level of the offspring of a muskrat and rusted nail. HomePods are pieces of steaming hot garbage and work less than 50% of the time. For as much as Apple can make some really “they just work” devices, I’ve never seen anything remotely close to this atrocity.
1647313048594.png

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
So is the HomePod running it's own version of iOS these days? The last I remember, the OS was supposed to be essentially the same between the HomePod and the AppleTV - but AppleTV's don't have these issues. What is it about the HomePod that turns it into a giant marshmallow of death for Siri, HomeKit, Airplay, and home networks in general? It's really bizarre to me all these problems, and it seems like every iOS update just adds to the fire.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
So is the HomePod running it's own version of iOS these days? The last I remember, the OS was supposed to be essentially the same between the HomePod and the AppleTV - but AppleTV's don't have these issues. What is it about the HomePod that turns it into a giant marshmallow of death for Siri, HomeKit, Airplay, and home networks in general? It's really bizarre to me all these problems, and it seems like every iOS update just adds to the fire.
The AppleTV in my experience is very laggy on Wi-Fi which correlates to what the HomePod does but on a different platform. Can’t scroll the home screen without it freezing and jumping all over the place. Frequent disconnects with the Control Center Remote app. Think it has the same issues just not as noticeable because it’s mainly a video streamer. I have a 2nd Gen 4K with Wi-Fi 6 connected to an eero Pro 6, line of sight and couldn’t bear to watch a hockey game. Looked like blobs skating on a white blob. The great thing about the AppleTV is that it can be hardwired with Ethernet and that solved all the issues for me. Verizon Gig with Cat6a and she runs like a Cadillac now. I wish the HomePod had an Ethernet port lol.

I’ve heard the OS referred to as HomePodOS, TVOS, AudioOS but I have no clue which is the correct one for the HomePod in particular.

Reactions: pup

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Ethernet is a good point. My AppleTV's have always been connected via ethernet, so perhaps that avoids the issues.

Reactions: Itinj24

MonkeySpank158

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2022
And here we are... ANOTHER year later, and I just got this issue on the latest version of iOS 16... So, my take is that apple has done nothing to fix this, and I just have to wait? Nice....

Reactions: b17777

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
And here we are... ANOTHER year later, and I just got this issue on the latest version of iOS 16... So, my take is that apple has done nothing to fix this, and I just have to wait? Nice....

I was just gonna start a new thread on this, glad I didn't haha.

All of my HomePods (a pair of stereo pairs of Minis and one OG HomePod) on current OS release are claiming that I have no HomeKit devices (lies... I have a dozen+). Siri on those HomePods can't interact with stuff it doesn't think is there -- however Siri everywhere else (macOS, iOS, etc) is able to see and control the devices (via Home app as well).

EDIT: This seems to have started since updating to 16.3.1 on the Minis.

EDIT2: HomeKit devices don't work via the AppleTV 4k gen2's we have here either. HomeKit control only working via Home.app (iOS and macOS) and Siri on iOS, macOS and watchOS.

Last edited:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Also about to start a new thread, and yep all HomePods, OGs & minis have lost their mind as of maybe 5 minutes ago. Was working fine (well, "fine" I guess, but at least it did something most of the time) but now nothing.

Commands work fine via Siri on iPhone though.

Apple, fix your crap.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I wonder if this is a local issue to the US, as it works still in the UK.

But what I would like to know is, why the hell does Siri need to talk to Apple servers to control HomeKit devices when you are in the actual home? Absolute bollocks and not fit for purpose. No way does it need to go out of the home network. I've said it before and I'll say it again, whoever is in charge of HomeKit and Siri needs sacking.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I wonder if this is a local issue to the US, as it works still in the UK.

But what I would like to know is, why the hell does Siri need to talk to Apple servers to control HomeKit devices when you are in the actual home? Absolute bollocks and not fit for purpose. No way does it need to go out of the home network. I've said it before and I'll say it again, whoever is in charge of HomeKit and Siri needs sacking.
Siri doesn’t need to talk to Apple servers for Home control but Apple was already caught having its employees, or a third party contractor, listen in on Siri conversations. I do believe Apple has the best security policies in place but I don’t believe for a minute they are as strict as they would have us believe.

I suppose someone needs to correct Siri’s mistakes but that should be a function of the end user. We should be the ones correcting Siri, not an Apple employee or contractor. I have Analytics and Improvements turned off so why am I getting hit with server side bugs?

tkauftheil

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2009
Just adding my 2cents. Same for me. Just started having this issue this afternoon. Thought I was loosing my mind for a second. Hopefully it’s something on the server side and gets noticed quickly.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Usually this condition goes away in minutes, but it's been hours now.

Still works fine on iPhone Siri, just not on any HomePods. And of course the Home app itself still works fine.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Crossing fingers, but so far I have not experienced any problems when using Hey Siri to turn on/off my hue lights through HomeKit. I’m on iOS/iPad 16.3. with both my HPMs and OG HPs. I did have a small glitch when I first updated, but thereafter, everything is working well. I’ve also noticed that since the update to 16.3, Siri no longer confirms my requests to turn on/off the lights… I just get a tone. It used to say “Lounge on/off” as an example.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
yeah that's the move away from everything being voice, and adding some non-voice audio feedback.

10 PM EST update: still down.

Last edited:

Alfie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
I had this happen at my house today too. I got it to go away by unplugging the active HomeKit hub long enough for another device to take over. After that, the “you don’t have anything set up” message went away.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
I had this happen at my house today too. I got it to go away by unplugging the active HomeKit hub long enough for another device to take over. After that, the “you don’t have anything set up” message went away.

That's curious -- I wonder if it needs a hard restart on every possible hub. I have 7 of them (5 HomePods, 2 ATVs) and I have restarted everything a number of times but not actually powered them down and up again.

11PM EST, still an issue here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.