Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alfie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
That's curious -- I wonder if it needs a hard restart on every possible hub. I have 7 of them (5 HomePods, 2 ATVs) and I have restarted everything a number of times but not actually powered them down and up again.

11PM EST, still an issue here.
Did you power off your active hub long enough for another device to take over as primary? I have fixed multiple homepod issues at times by forcing that primary hub switch. My theory is that the primary hub gets out of sorts for whatever reason and making another hub in charge gets things going again.

Reactions: b17777

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Shouldn't have to do that, but I may give it a try tomorrow.

Still an issue at this time.

Dann3

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2020
Shouldn't have to do that, but I may give it a try tomorrow.

Still an issue at this time.

I rename a room like “Hallway” to “Hallways” and back again and mine start working again. But only temporarily.

They were working fine until the last update but I quite recently got mine so I haven’t got much experience.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Siri doesn’t need to talk to Apple servers for Home control but Apple was already caught having its employees, or a third party contractor, listen in on Siri conversations. I do believe Apple has the best security policies in place but I don’t believe for a minute they are as strict as they would have us believe.

I suppose someone needs to correct Siri’s mistakes but that should be a function of the end user. We should be the ones correcting Siri, not an Apple employee or contractor. I have Analytics and Improvements turned off so why am I getting hit with server side bugs?

Are you absolutely sure on that? I only ask because when the Siri servers went down, I think last week or the week before, we lost HomeKit access so there must be some correlation between the two?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
So far, working this morning. All requests met with a chime immediately.

I made no changes in configuration. Clearly a server-side issue of some sort.

b17777

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
St.Paul MN
Did you power off your active hub long enough for another device to take over as primary? I have fixed multiple homepod issues at times by forcing that primary hub switch. My theory is that the primary hub gets out of sorts for whatever reason and making another hub in charge gets things going again.
I started having this issue for the first time yesterday also. My living living room Apple TV had been chosen as the hub, and at sometime it switched to the downstairs Apple TV.
I unplugged the power on the downstairs Apple TV and downstairs HomePod Mini and my bedroom Mini took over as the hub, and it all started working again. Re powered both and now the bedroom mini is the hub.
Thanks for this suggestion, it did the trick. Now I know what to look for if I have issues again.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Are you absolutely sure on that? I only ask because when the Siri servers went down, I think last week or the week before, we lost HomeKit access so there must be some correlation between the two?
Not sure on anything with this heaping pile of fresh steaming elephant dung lol. I was just reiterating what you had said and making theories of my own, since Apple doesn’t want to tell us anything lol.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Not sure on anything with this heaping pile of fresh steaming elephant dung lol. I was just reiterating what you had said and making theories of my own, since Apple doesn’t want to tell us anything lol.

I think that is a very succinct way of describing this whole affair LOL.

But there has to be some kind of calling home with HomeKit because when there is an issue, everybody seems to be affected. Certainly within regions or countries. And that can only happen when there is server talk I guess.

Reactions: dotme

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
There is absolutely calling home with HomeKit, at least in most scenarios.

If you're looking to control your home or get notifications outside WiFi/bluetooth range, there has to be a centralized source of truth that you can reach via the internet.

I suppose if one never set up a gateway that would eliminate the need to hit the Apple cloud, but maybe not even then.

What's maddening about what just happened was that it was for just one type of Siri input devices - HomePods. Requests via Siri on iPhones worked just fine. Why is there any distinction at all as to where the request is coming from?

And now I"m getting the dreaded "there was a problem completing your request, try again in a moment message." But at the same time this morning when commands are successfully completed, it's actually, dare I say it, snappy.

So there's some small cause for hope.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009

Yes I did. I even disabled my ATVs as hubs (I wish this were possible with the HomePods too but that's another story).

The ATVs actually started responding to direct HomeKit requests via Siri just fine, after midnight EST give or take, without any other action from me. The HomePods also came back to sanity on their own overnight and are responding to HomeKit requests just fine.

Glitch in the Matrix, I guess! ¯\(ツ)/¯

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
and now we're back to there was a problem with your request.

pull your finger out, apple

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
When I think about HomeKit, I always look back to Apple Maps and what a debacle that started as. Now it’s evolved into a very competitive Maps service. I use it exclusively.

When is HomeKit going to get the same treatment Apple Maps got? It’s been long enough!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.