Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
It sickens me when people defend the creative attempts of these large corporations to avoid paying tax. No laws may have been broken (still questionable), but it's still against the spirit of laws. Unethical even. This is not just about Apple; it's about every large corporation that does this.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
It sickens me when people defend the creative attempts of these large corporations to avoid paying tax. No laws may have been broken (still questionable), but it's still against the spirit of laws. Unethical even. This is not just about Apple; it's about every large corporation that does this.

It's not the companies duty to think about the "spirit of laws". It's the duty of the legislator to make such spirit part of the law, through laws.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK

So the lawmakers should fix the laws. They are responsible for making the laws in the first place.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
Perhaps misinformation but certainly not ignorance. I recall seeing a recent documentary that discussed various types of corruption in Italy.
There is corruption in every government on earth. Some of it is so institutionalized that "corruption" becomes an accepted cultural institution.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I suppose this is a bit like me collecting money from 20 people to go buy 20 lottery tickets, and when one of them wins, I go ha ha.. I bought the ticket in my name, so I'm keeping all the money.
I've not done anything illegal, so I'm happy with my morals as not breaking the law is all that matters.

I do agree however, I would like to see such loopholes shut down, so that companies can't hire accountants to "play the system"

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Apple did not break any laws. These investigations happen when greedy liberals smell money that they can't have.

How can you use the word "liberal" as an insult? Do you know what the word means? Doesn't the fact that it's used by your side in a derogatory manner tell you that you're on the wrong side?

----------

Italy's justice system sucks. Even after Apple wins they can repeatedly start over the process because they allow double jeopardy.

It's not double jeopardy, it's just a convoluted appeals system. America has an appeals system, I believe.

----------

I'm no expert in the financial or legal system of my own country, let alone those of other countries, but I think people are making the excuse that "it's fine, they're not necessarily doing anything illegal". Even if that's true, not being illegal doesn't mean something isn't wrong (similarly, being illegal doesn't mean something is wrong).

Paying less tax than you obviously should be, just because there's a legal loop-hole, is ****ish behaviour. It's immoral for so many reasons - primarily the obvious reason that you're bypassing the main wealth sharing and redistributing purpose of tax, also because you're creating an uneven playing field than benefits the large powerful incumbents who can afford to utilize such loop-holes. Probably other reasons too.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
It's not double jeopardy, it's just a convoluted appeals system. America has an appeals system, I believe.

----------

Not a lawyer, so I might be completely off target. I believe that in the US once you're found innocent, the trial ends. If a new substancial evidence is introduced, the trial start from the beginning. In Italy, once you're found innocent, a higher court can reverse the sentence and say that you're guilty, even without the introduction of new evidence.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I don't know about the EU issues, but the U.S. Senate allegations were a joke.

It's actually *their* job to create tax law, so all the various loopholes that Apple and others use are *their* job to fix. The Senators don't actually want to fix those loopholes, however, since they receive a lot of "support" (well, money) from corporations that are really happy with those loopholes. The hearings, memos and speeches are just show to keep too many voters from becoming outraged. (And probably to put pressure of Apple and others to keep the money flowing as fast as possible.)

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
So the lawmakers should fix the laws. They are responsible for making the laws in the first place.

It's impossible for law makers to ensure there are no loopholes when it comes to taxes.

Yes, they should change the laws. But guess WHO who pays the lawmakers to not change the law or to include these loopholes--- big corporations.

----------

It's not the companies duty to think about the "spirit of laws". It's the duty of the legislator to make such spirit part of the law, through laws.

Again, we know that most lawmakers are corrupt. These lawmakers are lobbied by these corporations to allow these corporations to keep doing this.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
It's impossible for law makers to ensure there are no loopholes when it comes to taxes.

Yes, they should change the laws. But guess WHO who pays the lawmakers to not change the law or to include these loopholes--- big corporations.

----------

Again, we know that most lawmakers are corrupt. These lawmakers are lobbied by these corporations to allow these corporations to keep doing this.

So the finger should be pointed at the corrupt lawmakers, no? By your own admission, it is this corruption that is allowing the loopholes.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Again, we know that most lawmakers are corrupt.

"WE" know? Talk for yourself. If you believe that most lawmakers are corrupt (libel?), take action. Sue them, start a campaign, do something.. If they're guilty it will be free to do so, and get them to convicted.
Otherwise, please refrain from being an Internet crusader for which activism is writing sensational sentences on a forum.

Although I am a shareholder and would be affected by changes in Apple's tax avoidance schemes, I think it's time the American companies started acting honourably in Europe.

It's not just Apple, it's Google, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Microsoft, Starbucks, McDonalds, Disney, Facebook, eBay, Amazon... and Ireland isn't the only tax haven, Luxembourg and Netherlands have done some dodgy deals as well.

As an example, Amazon attributed $7.29bn of its 2013 income to the UK and yet paid just £4.2m in tax. In England we call this 'taking the pïss'.

None of this is technically illegal, however the British chancellor describes the activities as "morally repugnant" and has announced plans to introduce a diverted profits tax aimed at large companies that artificially shift income offshore.

If the matter is resolved in an equitable manner then American businesses will overall pay more tax, countries like Italy and the UK will collect an increased amount in corporation tax based on the volume of business carried out in their region, and countries like Ireland and Luxembourg will be losers.

Last edited:

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
Apple argues that it's "one of the largest tax payers in the world and paid every euro of tax it owed wherever it did business,"... Well yeah if it is now the world's largest company that would make sense. But the real question is if they're paying their fair share. Nope! They will hire the best tax lawyers and experts to exploit every loophole possible. With all the effort they put into avoiding taxes, hopefully Italy and the numerous other countries will work just as hard to hold Apple accountable.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Italy's justice system sucks. Even after Apple wins they can repeatedly start over the process because they allow double jeopardy.

It's not Italian's fault. It's the way most of the Europe (and Latin America) judge cases. There is a predisposition to absolve the defendant instead of comdemning... so there are several opportunities of appealing. Apple appearantly lost the opportunity of being absolved in several courts.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

The spirit of laws doesn't exist and is a pipe dream. The fact that different lawyers interpret the same law differently should tell us that.

While it is easy to blame corporations, as others posted it is the law makers fault to introduce laws with loopholes, incentives to get business into their countries etc.etc.

But, any law is a no win situation.

For every bright lawmaker there are thousands of creative accountants and lawyers who will figure out how to "interpret" a law to their benefit.

The mob mentality of Apple is guilty or Apple is not guilty is misguided.

How about just waiting for the facts and outcome?

I predict the investigators find something (Nobody is perfect) via questionable interpretation of their laws (always lots of rubber for stretching thing into a certain direction) and Apple "settles" accordingly
to be done.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
The spirit of laws doesn't exist and is a pipe dream. The fact that different lawyers interpret the same law differently should tell us that.

While it is easy to blame corporations, as others posted it is the law makers fault to introduce laws with loopholes, incentives to get business into their countries etc.etc.

But, any law is a no win situation.

For every bright lawmaker there are thousands of creative accountants and lawyers who will figure out how to "interpret" a law to their benefit.

The mob mentality of Apple is guilty or Apple is not guilty is misguided.

How about just waiting for the facts and outcome?

I predict the investigators find something (Nobody is perfect) via questionable interpretation of their laws (always lots of rubber for stretching thing into a certain direction) and Apple "settles" accordingly
to be done.

I think if you don't take the piss you won't get into trouble...

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Perhaps misinformation but certainly not ignorance. I recall seeing a recent documentary that discussed various types of corruption in Italy.

Corruption exists all over the world. Of course, richer countries can steal more from taxpayers without being noted.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
So the finger should be pointed at the corrupt lawmakers, no? By your own admission, it is this corruption that is allowing the loopholes.

So we should not blame corporations who lobby for these loopholes? Humans, by nature, are corrupt.

----------

"WE" know? Talk for yourself. If you believe that most lawmakers are corrupt (libel?), take action. Sue them, start a campaign, do something.. If they're guilty it will be free to do so, and get them to convicted.
Otherwise, please refrain from being an Internet crusader for which activism is writing sensational sentences on a forum.

Wait, are you saying that you yourself are not aware of the corruption that goes on behind closed government doors?

And how do you know people aren't doing anything. I'm not trying to be any crusader. I'm just a person with an opinion, like you are.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
So we should not blame corporations who lobby for these loopholes? Humans, by nature, are corrupt.

----------

Wait, are you saying that you yourself are not aware of the corruption that goes on behind closed government doors?

And how do you know people aren't doing anything. I'm not trying to be any crusader. I'm just a person with an opinion, like you are.

Why are you labeling legal tax avoidance as corruption?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.