Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
That's the cost of doing business in some countries. The buck is paid to the government and that extra cost is passed down to the consumers. All the while the consumer is thinking the government is doing them a favour but in fact it's just a vicious cycle.

Not really... if Mac prices reaches the sky, consumers will buy from other brands. That is, profit margins will decrease, resulting on less social inequality. Shareholders don't have any moral. That's why governments exist.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Perhaps misinformation but certainly not ignorance. I recall seeing a recent documentary that discussed various types of corruption in Italy.

And we are glad that Italy is the only country in the world where corruption exists. All the documentaries about other counties (*cough*, the USA) are based on pure lies! How dare they....

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Funny how the solution is always to try and prosecute companies for finding legal loopholes and never to implement a competitive tax rate.

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
As a (proud) member of some "ignore" lists, I welcome this kind of threads that let me update my personal one. Very useful option indeed. Thank you

What, so you put people on your ignore list who say things that you don't agree with? Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it...?

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
When in Rome... Pay you taxes...

If you do business in a foreign country, you have to abide by their rule. If Apple doesn't want to do that then they can close up shop, pick up their toys and go home.

Actually, not a bad idea. When your exploding in Asia who the hell needs Italy? Europe is dying a slow death. ;)

Renzatic

Suspended
What, so you put people on your ignore list who say things that you don't agree with? Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it...?

It does, but I'm sure it's what most of the heavy ignore list abusers use it for. You know, to protect yourself from the ever present, always nebulous "Apple Haters" and "Samsung Astroturfers" that, according to some, make up 96% of the user demographic around here.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
It does, but I'm sure it's what most of the heavy ignore list abusers use it for. You know, to protect yourself from the ever present, always nebulous "Apple Haters" and "Samsung Astroturfers" that, according to some, make up 96% of the user demographic around here.

Well I'm sure Apple is a religion to many of those ignore list abusers. Which ironically should put every Apple announcement in the religion/politics/social-issues forum.

"I don't care what you say about controversial political and social topics, but darned if you will be allowed to comment on an Apple article without at least 100 posts behind you", is what they would say.

Renzatic

Suspended
Well I'm sure Apple is a religion to many of those ignore list abusers. Which ironically should put every Apple announcement in the religion/politics/social-issues forum.

"I don't care what you say about controversial political and social topics, but darned if you will be allowed to comment on an Apple article without at least 100 posts behind you", is what they would say.

It all comes down to one thing: some people have a hard time handling a contrary opinion. Sometimes, offering up anything less than gushing adoration can be taken as a sign of being one of the haters or astroturfers.

Which, now that I think about it, comes down to another thing: some people are a little too emotionally invested in the brands they buy. It's okay to like your stuff, and like the company that makes it, but there comes a point...

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
It all comes down to one thing: some people have a hard time handling a contrary opinion. Sometimes, offering up anything less than gushing adoration can be taken as a sign of being one of the haters or astroturfers.

Which, now that I think about it, comes down to another thing: some people are a little too emotionally invested in the brands they buy. It's okay to like your stuff, and like the company that makes it, but there comes a point...

Agreed about the overly emotionally invested aspect - to the point where it also becomes part of someones identity. So slur against Apple translates in their mind to a personal insult. It shouldnt be that way.

I'll keep primarily using iDevices, MBP's and OSX over the other choices for now. But I'll also continue being cynical where I see Apple diverging their designs from what I peronsally find useful (yep, I'm being selfish). In the end its the end users choice what they use, its nothing to take "personally".

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
I come here to find people who thinks different than me. This doesn't mean that I must drive through childish uninformed zealots who have such strong beliefs on almost every argument in this forums.

By the way, show me where I was talking of people disagreeing with me

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Are you kidding me? Italy is one of the most politically corrupt gov'ts on earth..

They literally consider bribes as part of the legal system.

How many wars have Italy started to secure oil. I ask out of curiosity, for a friend.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Not a lawyer, so I might be completely off target. I believe that in the US once you're found innocent, the trial ends. If a new substancial evidence is introduced, the trial start from the beginning. In Italy, once you're found innocent, a higher court can reverse the sentence and say that you're guilty, even without the introduction of new evidence.

I'm not a lawyer either, or an American, but I'd be surprised to hear that the prosecutors don't have the right to appeal a verdict. Can anyone confirm that?

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I'm not a lawyer either, or an American, but I'd be surprised to hear that the prosecutors don't have the right to appeal a verdict. Can anyone confirm that?

American judicial officers are generally loathe to overturn factual findings of a jury. I think in most American jurisdictions prosecutors can effectively only appeal not guilty findings only in special conditions (e.g., jury corruption, bribes, etc.) The vast, vast majority of criminal cases end up with plea bargains or settlements anyway.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010

You can't normally appeal a verdict in a criminal case. Double jeopardy, &etc. The jury is assumed to have determined the facts, so, unless there is new evidence, or the process was demonstrably flawed, then, no.

In some countries, you can appeal to (presumably) smarter people at a higher level, but, in the U.S., that first jury verdict is crucial.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
I blame both the politicians and the corporations. Politicians for being puppets to corporations and corporations for constantly seeking favors from their politicians to help their cause at the expense of others.

Very true. Also these corporations only exist because of the consumers buying their products. Informed consumers can pick and choose the least morally repugnant vendor. In Apple's case that isn't so because their products are unique.

Other multinationals however are vulnerable and you can boycott the worst offenders. I buy my morning coffee and pastry from Pret. They are the most ethical in terms of their suppliers and pay the most tax. It also helps that they have the best coffee and that their food is freshly baked and prepared and the other chains just have some dried up crap that was probably mass produced in a factory and packaged days before.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
American judicial officers are generally loathe to overturn factual findings of a jury. I think in most American jurisdictions prosecutors can effectively only appeal not guilty findings only in special conditions (e.g., jury corruption, bribes, etc.) The vast, vast majority of criminal cases end up with plea bargains or settlements anyway.

Assuming it results in declaration of a mistrial, this should be correct. Otherwise they cannot appeal such a thing due the 5th amendment.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

They can appeal if they can prove mistrial, or substantial new evidence. Otherwise a verified innocent (for the law) would end up being under trial for the same alleged crime for which he has been declared innocent by the judicial system itself.

Heltik

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
USA
Change the laws and you'll change the behavior. Apple follows whatever legal means it has to keep its spending in check. Every corporation does. The difference with Apple is that its earnings are on such a massive scale, eclipsing most other world businesses, that it's examined more closely.

Precisely, and more to the point the Apple board has a legal obligation to maximise value to their share holders, even if this means looking for somewhat dubious loopholes.

----------

When in Rome... Pay you taxes...

If you do business in a foreign country, you have to abide by their rule. If Apple doesn't want to do that then they can close up shop, pick up their toys and go home.

'My old man used to say "When in Rome do as the Romans do..."

That was just before he got locked up in an Italian prison for murdering 20,000 Christians.' - Lee Mack

noodlemanc

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Australasia
Very true. Also these corporations only exist because of the consumers buying their products. Informed consumers can pick and choose the least morally repugnant vendor. In Apple's case that isn't so because their products are unique.

Other multinationals however are vulnerable and you can boycott the worst offenders. I buy my morning coffee and pastry from Pret. They are the most ethical in terms of their suppliers and pay the most tax. It also helps that they have the best coffee and that their food is freshly baked and prepared and the other chains just have some dried up crap that was probably mass produced in a factory and packaged days before.

I don't think most people find a company avoiding paying taxes to be morally repugnant though. Maybe they'd be boycotted if they were touturing kittens or keeping children as slaves, but I'd be surprised if it happens over this to any significant degree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.