Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Yup, that's right. I no longer own a PC. I sold my final PC and I'm down to Macs only! I hadn't used my PC in about a year and figured I'd sell it. I sold it for $500.00 bucks (it was a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 1 GB of RAM). I just installed virtual PC just incase I need the compatibility down the road. (I know, I don't intend to try and game on that). :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, congratulations.

Now, about that avatar. I like it. It's like Linux Apple, or a crazy Mr.T penguin with one of it's ears bitten off, or two snowmen sharing a yellow bowtie making out at night.

So very suggestive and confusing. Me like!

Here's to the Crazy Ones

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
hcuar said:
Yup, that's right. I no longer own a PC. I sold my final PC and I'm down to Macs only! I hadn't used my PC in about a year and figured I'd sell it. I sold it for $500.00 bucks (it was a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 1 GB of RAM). I just installed virtual PC just incase I need the compatibility down the road. (I know, I don't intend to try and game on that). :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

A big congrats are in place for you hcuar! :)

Is it not such a great feeling to be PeeCee free?! :D

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
dmw007 said:
A big congrats are in place for you hcuar! :)

Is it not such a great feeling to be PeeCee free?! :D

It's amazing... I went from anti Mac about 3 years ago to full blown Mac advocate. Apple should thank me for all the switchers I've produced... Although I think that's true of most Mac users. :p

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
hcuar said:
It's amazing... I went from anti Mac about 3 years ago to full blown Mac advocate. Apple should thank me for all the switchers I've produced... Although I think that's true of most Mac users. :p

Thats sweet I should sell my PC's off I never use them. Its funny how many Anti-mac people have switched over the years You gotta love it!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
IDK... I have a feeling that I will probably make a full switch over over the next couple of years.

Getting too old to f**k around with the latest crap from Richmond.. however I have to say Vista does look pretty good.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
It seriously looks good.

I picked up a copy of this local PC magazine (PC Authority) and to be honest I was momentarily blown away by how nice the interface looks now.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
hcuar said:
Apple should thank me for all the switchers I've produced... Although I think that's true of most Mac users. :p

I believe that to be the case of the majority of Mac users. I know I have caused a few helpless souls see the light. aka Mac OS! :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
generik said:
It seriously looks good.

I picked up a copy of this local PC magazine (PC Authority) and to be honest I was momentarily blown away by how nice the interface looks now.

But have you not heard the saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover"? ;)

Let me explain- M$ Windows "Vista" might look all fine & dandy on the outside, but in the inside, its pure evil! :) ;)

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
dmw007 said:
But have you not heard the saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover"? ;)

Let me explain- M$ Windows "Vista" might look all fine & dandy on the outside, but in the inside, its pure evil! :) ;)

I guess so.. but then again strictly speaking I doubt MacOS is that secure either, it is just significantly safer because of the smaller market share, and hence fewer gains can be reaped from exploiting flaws in that OS.

What did interest me is yet again, MS will be copying a feature from MacOS. Now there will be an option which you can set to force Vista to prompt you for a password when administrative tasks are needed.

That will be quite a boon security wise, much of the ills from Windows largely come from the fact that everything runs at an admin by default.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
generik said:
I guess so.. but then again strictly speaking I doubt MacOS is that secure either, it is just significantly safer because of the smaller market share, and hence fewer gains can be reaped from exploiting flaws in that OS.

What did interest me is yet again, MS will be copying a feature from MacOS. Now there will be an option which you can set to force Vista to prompt you for a password when administrative tasks are needed.

That will be quite a boon security wise, much of the ills from Windows largely come from the fact that everything runs at an admin by default.

That myth has been debunked time and time again. The fact is, OS X IS secure, whether it's marketshare is small or not. The UNIX (and it's derivatives) marketshare isn't that small, and there's tons of people trying to hack OS X for the novelty of it.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
generik said:

Well, that is part of the reason. But since Mac OS is built over UNIX it is significantly more secure than windows. Even if the market share of M$ and Apple were reversed, the number of viruses would not be nearly the same as it is for windows. Just think Mac OS has been out for 4+ years and not one virus exists for it.

generik said:
What did interest me is yet again, MS will be copying a feature from MacOS.

Surprise, surprise...I guess Redmond just wishes they were they ones making Mac OS. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! :D :rolleyes:

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Raven VII said:
That myth has been debunked time and time again. The fact is, OS X IS secure, whether it's marketshare is small or not. The UNIX (and it's derivatives) marketshare isn't that small, and there's tons of people trying to hack OS X for the novelty of it.

Ah, beat to it by Raven VII. :)

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
Congrats! I wish I could do that. I think I convinced my friend to switch, but first he has to build his own PC, which I'm helping him with in the summer. I understand, but then he's going to get Macs. My sister had to proofread one of her friend's papers the other night and she didn't want to sit at her desk proofreading so she asked if she could use my iBook. She said it made such a difference. Another soon-to-be switcher!

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
How does most spyware and malware spread? By convincing users to bypass their OS's security usually. If OSX had more marketshare, you'd probably find a common way to install spyware would be coming up with that password dialog box while installing programs that a user might want, which is comparable to windows how some web sites will try to get users to install activex controls.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I haven't been PC in years ;)

An arab, a lesbian and an Irish man go into a bar ...........
(I better not finish - maybe I'm still a little pc ):p

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
generik said:
I really hope Macs will be better quality.. hardware wise :(

Whats wrong with them currently-

-The Power Mac G5 uses up to four processor cores, is expandable up to 16GB DDR2, and it utilizes PCI-Express graphics.

-The iMac G5 has up to a 2.1GHz G5 (which will give most pc processors a run for its money), up to 2.5GB DDR2, PCI-Express graphics, etc...

Sorry, I guess I dont see what you are talking about specifically.:eek:

Now the laptop side is a bit weaker, but just wait for the intel pentium m processor to show up. :)

iSaint

macrumors 603
hcuar said:

Congrats!!! My daughter and I are sold on Macs. We need a family Mac Mini (though she wants her own 12" iBook). However, my wife has TWO Dells, one for work and one as a board member of an association. She's not exactly the computer whiz, so guess who she calls to all the time? When her nice, new Dell starts messing up I'm going to tell her to call the company's support desk, not me!

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
hcuar said:

Same here! :) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.