Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan Bremer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
iTunes 10.6.3 still works great as of now.
  • iTunes Store works
    1688319163189.png
  • Previews of music videos work
    1688319085051.png
  • iTunes Radio works
    1688318881328.png
  • You can browse podcasts
    1688319551816.png
  • You can also browse movies
    1688319673382.png
  • Same with apps
    1688319704334.png
  • iTunes U works too :)
    1688319804326.png
Buying movies/songs on iTunes doesn't work however, it says that you need to upgrade your iTunes version.

Ryan Bremer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
Oddly enough, iTunes 10.6.3 returns an error if you're trying to enable Home Sharing, code is -9836, a security issue. It can probably be fixed with new root certificates and/or the Squid proxy
1688319876040.png

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
You can browse podcasts

That's really the only reason I am iTunes using for in this day and age on PowerPC or should I rather say I'd be using for because while you can browse podcasts on iTunes 10.6.3, there is no way to retrieve any episodes. I don't know what's going on but it always states error (-9836) "unknown error". I suppose it has to do with outdated certificates.

iTunes 10.6.3 still works great as of now.
Buying movies/songs on iTunes doesn't work however, it says that you need to upgrade your iTunes version.

For what I use iTunes 10.6.3 (music and music video archival of a local library), it still works like a champion on High Sierra. I wasn’t Apple’s target market when they rolled out their iTunes Music Store (or their App Store), and podcasts have only ever been, at most, an ancillary thing in my life.

Even if there may be expired security certificates preventing downloads from the above (something which deserves a community-based patching workaround), the magic of iTunes 10.6.3 is its profound latitude of functionality — able to run on everything from a hacked-to-run 10.5.8 Sawtooth G4/400 (though painfully glacial, as I can attest from doing similar on a PowerBook G4/400), to any 2018 Mac to have shipped with High Sierra (which still boots into High Sierra).

That covers, frankly, almost 20 years of hardware-unmodified models. That’s impressive. There aren’t many pieces of major Apple software which have that breadth of latitude in functionality.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't really use music apps much, except to play my music or stream internet radio. So, if I'm going to use iTunes it's going to be version 4.0. Because that is the only version Apple made that allows streaming your music over the internet. And internet radio still works with it.

However, I much prefer another solution that works between PowerPC and my Intel Macs. That's Songbird on my PowerPC Macs and Nightingale on my Intel Macs.

My primary reason is that I can store my music on my NAS and have one central library. I know you can do that with iTunes, but the thing you CAN'T do with iTunes is have it monitor that library folder location and update whenever new music is dropped in.

With Songbird/Nightingale all I have to do to add music is drop it into my library in one location. On all my Macs the apps will pick up that the folder changed and update. I'm not running around manually adding music to every installation of iTunes.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I found that NPR podcast work but I haven't found any others that do. I had no idea you could still view previews of music videos. I will try that later.

I looked up every work around I could to get iTunes to work. If you inspect the package contents of the most recent version of iTunes and compare it to this version, there are a lot of similarities. I wish I knew enough to see if there was a way to use a newer version of iTunes to backport compatibility to this version of iTunes.

Ryan Bremer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
I think you can change the version number reported to Mac OS X by:
1. right-clicking (or control clicking) the iTunes application in the Applications folder
2. clicking on "Show Package Contents"
3. opening the folder "Contents"
4. opening info.plist on TextEdit, TextWrangler, or similar text editor
5. change all mentions of 10.6.3 to 12.8.2
6. see if it works :)

davisdelo

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2019
Fort Worth, TX
One more thing that still works great with iTunes, the iOS Remote app from Apple. I just tried it out, I used the manual setup option over the HomeSharing option and it worked without a hitch. I can choose songs from playlists/libraries, control volume, see album art; it "Just Works" :)

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
Anyone else getting this when starting iTunes 10.6.3 now? I don't even have the store enabled. View attachment 2234801
I have it when I try to log in to the iTunes Store. iCloud/Apple ID works fine elsewhere, still copying Notes and Calendars, but the iTunes Store doesn't seem to work anymore. Pretty annoying as I was logging in to try and pull album artwork.

Ryan Bremer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
1689852856127.png

Yes, i can confirm they shut down the iTunes 10.6.3 store. Was a good run tho'

View attachment 2234920
Yes, i can confirm they shut down the iTunes 10.6.3 store. Was a good run tho'

It’s peculiar how, despite deactivating access to the iTunes store (using Parental Controls), iTunes still tries to poll the iTunes store.

Related: this change, along with, seemingly, a recent change in recovery mode for High Sierra having trouble, suggests Apple may be doing their periodic re-tooling of what stays and what goes on their public-facing file and service portals.

Reactions: davisdelo

Ryan Bremer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
By the way: they didn't shut it down, it's an 403 error (wireshark package capture below)
1689854703142.png

By the way: they didn't shut it down, it's an 403 error (wireshark package capture below)
View attachment 2234954

A 403 would suggest “forbidden” — suggesting they’ve changed access permissions to the iTunes store servers, which (internally) may be inactivated for specified versions of iTunes.

I wonder whether there’s a way to spoof the server to think a much later version of iTunes/Music is trying to call in. My guess is probably not, in that later versions might require security-related protocols absent entirely with iTunes 10.x.

Ryan Bremer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
there's an method to change the version reported in info.plist, and it has worked for skype and dropbox. can't we then change the version on info.plist to an compatible one? i have an os x yosemite setup so we gotta check that

Reactions: B S Magnet

Ryan Bremer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
Nope, this method doesn't work anymore, but we can also change the version on iTunes on the version.plist and see if it works...

davisdelo

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2019
Fort Worth, TX
Nope, this method doesn't work anymore, but we can also change the version on iTunes on the version.plist and see if it works...
Good idea, but it didn't seem to work for me. I changed the version.plist and the info.plist entries.

It seems like the error is defined in the Localizable.strings file, line 9388 for US/English, "7000.016" = "iTunes could not connect to the iTunes Store."; I tried removing the line to see if it killed the dialog box but it just removed the text in it:
Picture 2.png

Ryan Bremer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
Then itunes 10.6.3 is officially dead. maybe someone more knowledgeable can make a fix to make it again, just like @Czo did with dropbox on ppc.

Then itunes 10.6.3 is officially dead

Nonsense… hogwash… balderdash! I’m using 10.6.3 right now and it’s working as it always does. I can even listen to Internet streaming radio on it.

maybe someone more knowledgeable can make a fix to make it again, just like @Czo did with dropbox on ppc.

Oh. You’re talking about the iTunes Music service portal on Apple’s end.

Well, that was always an add-on feature of iTunes’s original remit. :)

davisdelo

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2019
Fort Worth, TX
Oh. You’re talking about the iTunes Music service portal on Apple’s end.
Yes, the store seems to be dead. My only issue is the error it pops up, even when the store is disabled in the iTunes preferences. If anyone can find a way to kill the call out to Apple or simply disable the annoying error I'd be pleased as peas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.