Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davisdelo

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2019
Fort Worth, TX
Ok, the easiest fix I've found to kill these store errors is to downgrade to iTunes 10.2.2. The list of bug fixes for 10.2.3 is here, some of these may be deal breakers for a few of you. Another error 10.2.2 killed for me was this annoying pop-up that told me I shouldn't watch 1080p movies on my machine (sounds like marketing got a hold of 10.6.3 before it was pushed out).

I used Pacifist to bypass the 10.2.2 installer and just replaced the 10.2.3 app with the 10.2.2 app. The library did have to be rebuilt and my iTunes preferences had to be set again. If I run into any problems I'll post them.

Here's a couple references for other release features/bug fixes if anyone needs them:
Wikipedia, History of iTunes
Videohelp.com, iTunes Version History
Macintoshgarden.org, iTunes for OS X Installers

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Ok, the easiest fix I've found to kill these store errors is to downgrade to iTunes 10.2.2. The list of bug fixes for 10.2.3 is here, some of these may be deal breakers for a few of you. Another error 10.2.2 killed for me was this annoying pop-up that told me I shouldn't watch 1080p movies on my machine (sounds like marketing got a hold of 10.6.3 before it was pushed out).

I used Pacifist to bypass the 10.2.2 installer and just replaced the 10.2.3 app with the 10.2.2 app. The library did have to be rebuilt and my iTunes preferences had to be set again. If I run into any problems I'll post them.

Here's a couple references for other release features/bug fixes if anyone needs them:
10.2.2 isn’t connecting to iTunes, is it?

Ryan Bremer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
nope... if it returns an 403 error we could maybe grab whatever user agent some newer itunes version on e.g Mavericks is using and use that on itunes 10.6.3, that would be a fix for the problem :)

Reactions: ww2_1943

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018

Do you mean iTunes 10.6.2 and 10.6.3? The link you give fore bug fixes is for 10.6.3.

Ryan Bremer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
Folks, I have good news.

The iTunes 10.6.3 store is back!​

Yeah, you read it correctly, it is back. After getting an "You do not have enough access priveliges" error, I have quit it, opened it back up, and it worked again!
1695743225947.png

bkmoore773

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2022
It would be really nice if someone could find a work around to activate iTunes 10.6 purchases.

I was able to strip all of Apple's DRM from my music collection and transfer it to my Powermac G5, but I haven't been able to watch any of my purchased videos or TV Shows (which I actually purchased on a G4 Powerbook back in the day). It's strange that under iTunes, I can easily stream movie trailers on the iTunes store without taxing the CPU, but can barely play low definition YouTube videos. I'm guessing the real reason YouTube playback is painful on PowerPC is that google broke YouTube so people would switch to Chrome, and not a lack of computing resources.

Does this return functionality to iTunes?

According to @Ryan Bremer , this does return functionality to 10.6.3 — specifically, the Genius feature.

iTunes 10.6.3, so long as one is running High Sierra or earlier, will continue to work for most activity (as a player, as a video player, Genius, Radio, etc.), save a couple — namely, as it relates to how Apple changed the Audio MIDI Setup utility. After a point, Apple re-wrote the utility to rely heavily on the online functionality of iTunes, requiring a re-write of frameworks which either break aspects of iTunes 10.6.3 (the base application may still run, but connectivity to iPod-related devices may not) or breaks Audio MIDI setup. Take your pick.

That is: one can have iTunes 10.6.3 or Audio MIDI Setup control, but not both.

Also, if one opts to prioritize the frameworks associated with what made Audio MIDI Setup happy over the 10.6.3-related frameworks, iPod-related devices may no longer connect or sync to iTunes correctly. Some iPhone/iPad devices will also not be recognized without iTunes/macOS insisting one download additional components first (i.e., iTunes 12.8.3). I have not yet found a compromise set of frameworks to make both of these circumstances happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ww2_1943

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Which version of iTunes was the one where they killed the little audio graphic sound levels in the playback window? Is it still active in 10 or was that only 9 and below? Of all the things they did, this one thing pissed me off more than anything and I reverted back to the prior iTunes on my PPC Mac to get it back. I know it's totally stupid, but I like having the little graphic of the audio levels bouncing up and down in the little playback window when I'm listening to my audio...

:confused:

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
I don't really use music apps much, except to play my music or stream internet radio. So, if I'm going to use iTunes it's going to be version 4.0. Because that is the only version Apple made that allows streaming your music over the internet. And internet radio still works with it.

However, I much prefer another solution that works between PowerPC and my Intel Macs. That's Songbird on my PowerPC Macs and Nightingale on my Intel Macs.

My primary reason is that I can store my music on my NAS and have one central library. I know you can do that with iTunes, but the thing you CAN'T do with iTunes is have it monitor that library folder location and update whenever new music is dropped in.

With Songbird/Nightingale all I have to do to add music is drop it into my library in one location. On all my Macs the apps will pick up that the folder changed and update. I'm not running around manually adding music to every installation of iTunes.

Sounds cool, do you happen to have a link to these two programs?

Thanks for the info!

:)

Reactions: eyoungren
Which version of iTunes was the one where they killed the little audio graphic sound levels in the playback window? Is it still active in 10 or was that only 9 and below? Of all the things they did, this one thing pissed me off more than anything and I reverted back to the prior iTunes on my PPC Mac to get it back. I know it's totally stupid, but I like having the little graphic of the audio levels bouncing up and down in the little playback window when I'm listening to my audio...

:confused:

I don’t know. It may have arrived after 10.6.3.

In 10.6.3, toggling the “play” icon at left of the info window still toggles graphic detail in real time:

1701140972429.png

1701140998830.png

Just ignore the title bar. I have a fairly modified iTunes library.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
I don’t know. It may have arrived after 10.6.3.

In 10.6.3, toggling the “play” icon at left of the info window still toggles graphic detail in real time:

View attachment 2317772
View attachment 2317773

Just ignore the title bar. I have a fairly modified iTunes library.

That's it! Thanks for the reply. I remember now that the reason I stuck with iTunes 9 was because I downgraded my G4 Powerbook to Tiger so I could run older software still that was incompatible with Leopard.

Good to know that it's still there in iTunes 10 though!

:)

Reactions: B S Magnet

chramos2007

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2024
signed up just to ask - is the store functionality broken again? cant get it to work even doing the hex editor trick though i guess it might be diifferent since im trying on a PC...

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.