Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeriwww

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
it works!! But I still get the -42408 error, any way of overriding this? I don't care about the error I just don't like the pop up

HaSch

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
For some reason, Suspicious Package takes longer than before to analyze the pkg, so the script from post #43 fails in Big Sur and Monterey.

So, here is another method to get iTunes 12.9.5.5, tested on Monterey. For the most part, this replicates what Retroactive does.

Before beginning, delete iTunes from Applications, ~/tmp and ~/tmpcore from your home folder, if they exist.

- Download the InstallESDDmg.pkg for Mojave 10.14.6 from Apple
Code:
https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/17/32/061-26589-A_8GJTCGY9PC/25fhcu905eta7wau7aoafu8rvdm7k1j4el/InstallESDDmg.pkg

Note: if you have Install macOS Mojave.app, you don’t have to download InstallESDDmg.pkg, you can just mount InstallESD.dmg from its /Contents/SharedSupport/ and continue with the sudo pkgutil command below.

- The pkg is acctually a dmg, so we can mount it and extract all the contents of Core.pkg. Be patient, pkgutil --expand takes a long time and requires more than 12GB of free space. From Terminal:

Code:
hdiutil attach ~/Downloads/InstallESDDmg.pkg -noverify -nobrowse

sudo pkgutil --expand-full /Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/Core.pkg ~/tmpcore

hdiutil unmount /Volumes/InstallESD/

* Optional, create a zipped copy of the original iTunes 12.9.5.5, saved on your Desktop as iTunes12.9.5.5_Original.zip

Code:
ditto -c -k --sequesterRsrc --keepParent ~/tmpcore/Payload/Applications/iTunes.app ~/Desktop/iTunes12.9.5.5_Original.zip

- Modify iTunes 12.9.5.5 to work on macOS Catalina and above

Code:
ditto ~/tmpcore/Payload/Applications/iTunes.app ~/tmp/iTunes.app

plutil -replace CFBundleGetInfoString -string 'iTunes 13.9.5.5' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist

plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.9.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist

plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 13.9.5 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist

* Optional, create a zipped copy of the modified iTunes, saved on your Desktop as iTunes12.9.5.5_Patched.zip

Code:
ditto -c -k --sequesterRsrc --keepParent ~/tmp/iTunes.app ~/Desktop/iTunes12.9.5.5_Patched.zip

- Copy the modified iTunes into Applications

Code:
ditto ~/tmp/iTunes.app /Applications/iTunes.app

- Start iTunes

Code:
open -a /Applications/iTunes.app

- Clean-up: delete from Finder ~/tmp and ~/tmpcore, or from Terminal

Code:
rm -rf ~/tmp

sudo rm -rf ~/tmpcore

*Post edited to correct one misspelled command and to add the note about Install macOS Mojave.app
This is unfortunately not working on Sonoma. Is there anything to do to make it work?

HaSch

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
This is unfortunately not working on Sonoma. Is there anything to do to make it work?
Have you tried the additional steps from post #374?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/itunes-12-6-5-3-on-macos-catalina-10-15.2184518/post-32588314

I did. Without success! I'm not on Apple Silicon. install_name_tool failed:
error: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/install_name_tool: input file: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes is not a Mach-O file

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
On Intel, I have a virtual machine with Sonoma 14.3, SIP enabled, and iTunes is working just as created with the instructions from post #357.
On Apple Silicon, I have Sonoma 14.3 installed on MBA M1 and I couldn’t get it to work, even with SIP disabled and the instructions from post #374.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.