Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drakula

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2021
Anyone able to get iTunes installed on M1 Macs?

I'm having the same problem. Using an M1 MacBook Air.
Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 11.51.55 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Lvivske

Airsculpture

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2020
I have heard many problems and all seem to be with the M1.

I have had no issues whatsoever with Catalina or Big Sur but I'm on an intel iMac.

WoeIsLee

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2021
Soooo I take it I should just forget about downloading 12.9 and just download 12.6?
Unless someone has a fix for this, but, this thread seems kinda dead.

WoeIsLee

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2021
What exactly are your issues ? I am currently using 12.9 on both Catalina and Big Sur
I just got an M1. Its been almost 10 years since I got a new mac and.........a lot of stuff has changed lol, and I almost always hate change, why mess with that which isnt broken ya know?
Anyways, I actually tried out the music app and......its basically just itunes so, guess I dont really need itunes anymore.
Of course I havent synced my ipod yet and I know it goes through finder now instead which is.......dumb so, I've yet to see how that works yet, so I can still hate that.
12.6 also doesnt work either, cant log in to the store, just get an error message everytime.

WoeIsLee

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2021
I have heard issues with M1

I’m on intel so I’m ok. Good luck with Music, TV, Books and Podcasr apps

I don’t envy you
Luckily I dont use any of that stuff besides music.
Do gotta say, not too impressed with the changes, no disc drive, technically only one usb port, and its not even usb anymore lol, so all my stuff is obsolete. It also says its the same size 13 inch as this late 2011 I've had this entire time but idkkkkk.
Screen definitely looks slightly bigger on the 11, could just be my imagination but.
There definitely are positives though, volume number 1, weight, a lot faster, which yeah, my 2011 barely works anymore, just gonna have to get used to the changes, and I guess buy a superdrive and new charger, adapter, etc.
Quick question while I have your attention.
I've yet to run the migration assistant so, does it actually transfer literally everything to the new one?
Music, files, etc?
Cause if not, luckily I have flash drives, would just need adapters obviously.

WoeIsLee

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2021
Everything you specify yes
So..........13 days later and yeah im screwed right now. It all started with an app that wouldnt install, worked fine before I did the assistant, and on any other account I created (when I actually still could) which then led me to doing the assistant again etc etc etc, also changed my account name, directory, because I wanted to update it, just a preference type thing, and yeah now the whole thing is acting like im not the admin, wont accept my password in security/privacy, cant make a new account because the password again, wont accept......... Im legit defeated at this point, apparently you cant reset the smc on m1s soooooo....... All because one app.......wouldnt install......

XXX_0924

macrumors member
May 1, 2019
cuba
Still no solution for iTunes on MacOS to download the app as it is on windows and not having to do it with Apple Configurator 2 greetings @

bogdanw

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I got 12.6.5 running on my M1 MacBook Air (via Retroactive) but could not sign in. Wanted to use it for podcasts instead of the woeful Podcasts.app on Big Sur.

12.9.5 would not run at all.

djavs

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
I got 12.6.5 running on my M1 MacBook Air (via Retroactive) but could not sign in. Wanted to use it for podcasts instead of the woeful Podcasts.app on Big Sur.

12.9.5 would not run at all.
how did you do that am strugling to get it to work

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
how did you do that am strugling to get it to work
It’s of no use, you can not sign in and the Podcasts section displays a blank white page.
I’ve tested iTunes12.6.5 and iTunes12.8.3 on M1 running 12.5 (21G72).

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
And you install them with Retroactive? I do not care about the store, just to use iTunes for my libraries.
I’ve installed iTunes 12.6.5 with Retroactive and with my script and the result was the same.
You can try iTunes 12.8.3 with this script:

Code:
set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes dmg file:" of type {"dmg"}
do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/iTunes/Install\\ iTunes.pkg ~/tmp"
do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/iTunes/"
do shell script "cd ~/tmp/iTunesX.pkg; cat Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -i; ditto ~/tmp/iTunesX.pkg/Applications/iTunes.app ~/tmp/iTunes.app;"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleGetInfoString -string 'iTunes 13.8.3' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.8.3 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 13.8.3 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "touch ~/tmp/iTunes.app"
do shell script "ditto ~/tmp/iTunes.app /Applications/iTunes.app"
do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp"
do shell script "open /Applications/iTunes.app"

Download the dmg from https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1977

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
I’ve installed iTunes 12.6.5 with Retroactive and with my script and the result was the same.
You can try iTunes 12.8.3 with this script:

Code:
set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select iTunes dmg file:" of type {"dmg"}
do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/iTunes/Install\\ iTunes.pkg ~/tmp"
do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/iTunes/"
do shell script "cd ~/tmp/iTunesX.pkg; cat Payload | gunzip -dc |cpio -i; ditto ~/tmp/iTunesX.pkg/Applications/iTunes.app ~/tmp/iTunes.app;"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleGetInfoString -string 'iTunes 13.8.3' ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string 13.8.3 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "plutil -replace CFBundleVersion -string 13.8.3 ~/tmp/iTunes.app/Contents/Info.plist"
do shell script "touch ~/tmp/iTunes.app"
do shell script "ditto ~/tmp/iTunes.app /Applications/iTunes.app"
do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp"
do shell script "open /Applications/iTunes.app"

Download the dmg from https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1977
Thank you so much! You have always been helpfull.

Reactions: bogdanw

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2018
So happy to see that people are still updating Retroactive and iTunes installation to work with Apple silicone and the latest MacOS versions. I have a 2.5tb music library, and Apple's Music app is much inferior for larger libraries (sluggish and lacking search function, very slow importing etc.).

Thanks!

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2018
Unfortunately, Retroactive was last updated on Sep 07, 2020 and the developer stopped responding to issues.
https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive/releases
https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive/issues
Oh, I didn't read carefully enough then. That's a shame. Again, Music has been a huge letdown, compared to iTunes. I never understood the constant whining about iTunes, probably from Windows laptop users? iTunes is/was the best music library program available, and handles large music collections brilliantly. You can't even search for genre in Music. Hopefully others can pick up the mantle, and keep updating Retroactive for future Macs and MacOS'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.