Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pah2105

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2020
Say one had iTunes in Catalina. How would one load an iPod Classic from iTunes instead of Music?

efecanarar

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2015
ea175c57aca7e1da0c619b660606db18.png

Stil waiting

Doug828

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
Please let us know if iTunes works on Big Sur. If not, I won’t be upgrading. Thanks.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I will only test it but bogdanw will give us the truth.
Why don't you start a new thread specific to Big Sur and iTunes 12.6.5.?

This one is becoming too messy and too big and not useful to people who need to find specific informations.
Probably you will have more answers , because it will attract the right users and developers

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
Please let us know if iTunes works on Big Sur. If not, I won’t be upgrading. Thanks.
It works. I installed 12.6.5.3 yesterday and so far no problems. Unless you want it to also handle books. The Books app, like ALL apps from Apple cannot be deleted from the finder anymore. If you boot from another disk and look into Big Sur’s application folder you only see your other apps. Apple’s apps are invisible.
I don’t know if it could be done from the terminal, or if you need to boot from another disk that also runs Big Sur in order to see them.

XXX_0924

macrumors member
May 1, 2019
cuba
Apple will one day think about giving iTunes a solution. I have personally written to him and he replies that they are working. Now someone else has told him the same thing or someone has found a solution other than simulating iTunes from windows. I talk about downloading applications.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Apple will one day think about giving iTunes a solution. I have personally written to him and he replies that they are working. Now someone else has told him the same thing or someone has found a solution other than simulating iTunes from windows. I talk about downloading applications.
I wrote him too, few times already , but never got an answer so far. In the past I was getting answers about other issues.
Maybe I go directly to spam now ?
Let's hope he will listen to you!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
It works. I installed 12.6.5.3 yesterday and so far no problems. Unless you want it to also handle books. The Books app, like ALL apps from Apple cannot be deleted from the finder anymore. If you boot from another disk and look into Big Sur’s application folder you only see your other apps. Apple’s apps are invisible.
I don’t know if it could be done from the terminal, or if you need to boot from another disk that also runs Big Sur in order to see them.

Does iTunes 12.6.5.3 download app updates?!

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2018
Thanks for this thread. I got so fed up with the Music app, it's crap. Just as the iOS version, importing new albums doesn't work properly (on MacOS certain tracks in each album aren't linked to its file, and must be individually fixed). For fs sake Apple, you can't even get this right? What a joke. Not to mention the slow and laggy performance being worse than iTunes (incl. sluggish search, can't search for genre, clunky album view etc..).

Music was promoted as a as a leaner and less resource-hungry program than iTunes, but being more sluggish in reality. At this point Apple should just scrap Music and bring back iTunes again (not gonna happen obviously), iTunes is a much better program.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Hi all, I did read a lot of the thread but couldn't see if someone had mentioned whether you can get iTunes and Music to sync somehow?
I'm now using iTunes on Catalina to play my music but if I rate a song, do I still need to go into Music and rate it there also?
I've noticed if I change basic information such as Album Artist, the Music App automatically adjusts in real-time so my query only relates to Star Ratings and Playlists I suppose.
Apologies if this has been answered somewhere already

Last edited:

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Thanks for this thread. I got so fed up with the Music app, it's crap. Just as the iOS version, importing new albums doesn't work properly (on MacOS certain tracks in each album aren't linked to its file, and must be individually fixed). For fs sake Apple, you can't even get this right? What a joke. Not to mention the slow and laggy performance being worse than iTunes (incl. sluggish search, can't search for genre, clunky album view etc..).

Music was promoted as a as a leaner and less resource-hungry program than iTunes, but being more sluggish in reality. At this point Apple should just scrap Music and bring back iTunes again (not gonna happen obviously), iTunes is a much better program.
I just installed Catalina in new MBA 2020. I didn’t get any slowness in Music app, and even IMO, it looks more intuitive to sync iDevice via Finder rather via iTunes. I might be wrong, but I had latest Catalina version and never tried Catalina earlier versions.

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2018
I just installed Catalina in new MBA 2020. I didn’t get any slowness in Music app, and even IMO, it looks more intuitive to sync iDevice via Finder rather via iTunes. I might be wrong, but I had latest Catalina version and never tried Catalina earlier versions.

For some reason, it seems Music takes several hours to properly installing large libraries (album covers etc.). Some of the issues I reported initinally are resolved 4-5+ hours after installing the library, but certain issues are still there with Music. For instance, the search function is much slower, and lacks lacks important functionality that iTunes had. The overall interface is definitely more clunky IMO, if you're used to iTunes. Btw. I use a library at around 1.5tb. It seems Music simply doesn't handle large libraries as well as iTunes. Fortunately iTunes still works 100% in Catalina via Retroactive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.