Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2003
Waiting for 5.0

Im waiting for 5.0 It's been quite a while since we have seen any great innovation in iTunes. It could use some help, but im sure something will come along with Tiger.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I foresee..

"Contains support for latest iPod Photo and iPod mini models"

A nice surprise would be iTunes 5. Don't rest on your laurels Apple.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Superdrive said:
"Contains support for latest iPod Photo and iPod mini models"

I was thinking that too....but that sounds more like 4.7.2.

Now just so you know, this is a 2am recap of what little I can recall from memory, but the 4.x iTunes updates have been:

4.1 - Eliminates ability to share music over the web
4.2 - Required for huge update to the music store, first version for Windows
4.5 - Party Shuffle, print CD inserts, lot of music store updates like iMix
4.6 - Airport Express
4.7 - Support for iPod photo, European iTunes support

Also, 4.7.1 added Autofill for the iPod shuffle, indicating to me that 4.8 might just be a little more than support.

infectbda

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2004
I really hope they add support for HE-AAC. The quality is really pretty awesome from the samples I've heard, and it would allow people to shove even more tracks on their iPods. But this would also require firmware updates for the iPods.

Other than that, I see little else that could be done to make iTunes easier or better to use. I guess there are some little things that could make it even better, but they are all minor.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
iTunes 6 Coming

According to unconfirmed tipsters, iTunes 6.0 is also coming soon.

Whether it is timed with the expected iPod announcements or as a separate announcement is unknown at this time. No known features have been leaked.

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2003
It really seems like we would see a 5.0 build before a 6.0 but maybe they liked how winamp went from 1.0 to 3.0 skipping the 2.0 and are trying that on? ha ha.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
6914708 said:
It really seems like we would see a 5.0 build before a 6.0 but maybe they liked how winamp went from 1.0 to 3.0 skipping the 2.0 and are trying that on? ha ha.

umm winamp never skip 2 when winamp 3 came out. winamp was around 2.6-2.8 when winamp3 camp out but I do want to say it was higher. The lastest verson of winamp 2 that was released was 2.92. Now winamp did skip verson 4 and move on stright to 5 but that was because the compianed what people loved about 2 the extra stuff 3 had and then add some more hence winamp 5 since it was the best of both worlds

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
infectbda said:
I really hope they add support for HE-AAC. The quality is really pretty awesome from the samples I've heard, and it would allow people to shove even more tracks on their iPods. But this would also require firmware updates for the iPods.

Other than that, I see little else that could be done to make iTunes easier or better to use. I guess there are some little things that could make it even better, but they are all minor.

Wow, could you imagine if they did this..especially if the Shuffles were HE-AAC ready to begin with. It sure would explain a few things.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Folders

When do you think we'll get subfolders for playlists like in iPhoto 5? I have asked for it several times!

kettle

macrumors 65816
infectbda said:

I'd love this. I have to use VLC to listen to somafm and surf simultaneously. I think HE-AAC uses the same technique as FM radio to squash stereo into a mono space.

kettle

macrumors 65816
jacg said:
When do you think we'll get subfolders for playlists like in iPhoto 5? I have asked for it several times!

yesh, that too, my playlists are getting tricky to click between library and the playlist half a mile down the road. I could open the playlist in it's own window I suppose.

smodin

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Might be added countries to iTMS

Rumors are that apple is buying itunes.se in preparation for Swedish iTMS.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
I've said it before, I'll say it again:
iTunes 5 will most likely come out on the second anniversary of the iTunes music store. Last year iTunes was neglected in iLife '04, and then iTunes 4.5 came out on the anniversary.
I'm guessing it'll be quite the change - they've had a loooooong time to work on it.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
For me iTunes is just fine :rolleyes:
But I don't mind updates at all but what would this update include :confused: (can't really see what can be done better maby spotlight when tiger comes)

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Autofill for all, album art & codecs

The new iTunes should have Autofill for all iPods. I would like the music on my computer to be in Apple Lossless format and the music in my iPod to be AAC. The Autofill function would allow me to do this without complications but unfortunately only the iPod Shuffle supports it.

Auto-downloads of album art should also be part of the next update. Using another application to do this is makes the task more complicated than it should be.

I do not know if more formats need to be supported by iTunes. At one point every second post on these forums was about the lack of a lossless codec in iTunes. When Apple Lossless finally arrived no-one seemed to give a chit. Personally I think AAC is brilliant. It sounds great and the file-sizes are small, making it ideal for the full-size iPods.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
swissmann said:
I am curious what innovations would come with 5. Indeed new codecs and subfolders would be nice.

It's bound to be something that hasn't been discussed. Something that will wow us, patience is needed.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
nagromme said:
I like the hint of new photo slideshow transitions on iPods.

As for Autofill--you can do something very similar with Smart Playlists. For instance:

http://ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=131252

That sounds similar to what I've done ...

Playlist 1: > 3 stars
Playlist 2: 3 stars and not listened to in a week (limited to 7GB)

iPod Base: Playlist 1 or Playlist 2

Nicely fills up my 10GB iPod with a rotating mix, while keeping my favourites there.

I've added on extra bit: All my other playlists include "and Playlist is iPod Base", so I can sync all the playlists.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Lemme take a crack at this...I suppose I could just look these things up, but it's more fun to see what I remember... :)

Freg3000 said:
I was thinking that too....but that sounds more like 4.7.2.

Now just so you know, this is a 2am recap of what little I can recall from memory, but the 4.x iTunes updates have been:

4.1 - Eliminates ability to share music over the web
4.2 - Required for huge update to the music store, first version for Windows
No, I'm pretty sure that 4.0.1 was the one that eliminated sharing over the web (only a week after 4.0 came out), and 4.1 was the first version for Windows. I don't really remember what 4.2 added, but I think they introduced Apple Lossless before the first anniversary of the iTMS (i.e. before 4.5), so that might have been it. Probably various other improvements as well.

4.5 - Party Shuffle, print CD inserts, lot of music store updates like iMix
4.6 - Airport Express
4.7 - Support for iPod photo, European iTunes support

Also, 4.7.1 added Autofill for the iPod shuffle, indicating to me that 4.8 might just be a little more than support.
Autofill for the other iPods would be kinda nice...

FWIW
WM

AirUncleP

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
USA
According to unconfirmed tipsters,.....
No new features revealed......

This is a rumor?

Here's one:
According to unconfirmed tipsters, G5 updates are coming. Tech specs are still under wraps.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Personally what I wish they would do but never will is this:
When you are scrolling through your various items be they playlists, songs, artists, albums, etc you never know what rating you have given said playlists, songs, artists, albums, etc. At least on the iPod you don’t. What I would like to see is Apple go to a color coded star system:
1-Black
2-Red
3-Orange
4-Yellow
5-Blue

So lets say you are scrolling through your albums list. iTunes desktop client averages out what your rating for that album and color codes it appropriately. So when you scroll through the list you know HEY! I really like those songs in that playlist because it’s got a yellow color to it. Or I really like that album because its Blue. Apple could do so much with color in the iPod Photo beyond simply viewing pictures. It just kills me that they haven’t done anything with the interface. Hello!! *knock knock* Hello in there Apple. Its called innovation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.