Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I finally get to listen to my 10 wma files in itunes, about darn time. And no there is not itunes or ipod support for wma right now.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Bluetooth does not have the bandwidth to support stereo sound.

That's why all the bluetooth headsets have only one earphone not two.
I think you're wrong. Sony has an MP3 player out now with Bluetooth headphones.

frozenstar

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Bluetooth does not have the bandwidth to support stereo sound.

That's why all the bluetooth headsets have only one earphone not two.

Sorry, but that's just not true.

The reason MOST bluetooth headsets have only one earphone is because they are specifically designed for hands-free functionality with mobile phones.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Bluetooth's theoretical peak throughput is 721kbps. (http://www.rf-solutions.com/about_standards.htm#short)
An uncompressed CD quality audio file is 1150kbps.

So...to fit a decent quality stream, you have to drop a track and go mono. (Decoding MP3/AAC/WMA/OGG/whatever on the headphones is crazy.)

...also, keep in mind that that's THEORETICAL max speed. If you go more than 5 feet away from the transmitter, you'll probably get skips in the music, or worse.

speechgod

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2002
Minnesota
I would not discount the possibility that iTunes Music Store for Windows users may be using WMA. Maybe that RIAA doesn't want AAC going around the PC world, since it may be easier to break?

I'd say there's a good 40% chance that iTMS Windows will be WMA. Don't be surprised if it happens.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by speechgod
I would not discount the possibility that iTunes Music Store for Windows users may be using WMA. Maybe that RIAA doesn't want AAC going around the PC world, since it may be easier to break?

I'd say there's a good 40% chance that iTMS Windows will be WMA. Don't be surprised if it happens.

I can't believe Apple would ever do this. They're commitment is to open standards and opensource...wma is neither. I could see them having iTunes be able to play wma so pc users can transfer their music collections to iTunes though....that makes sense.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003

I would be shocked, stunned and disappointed if this was the case. I guess we'll all find out in one week, but I would put the odds at closer to 10% than 40% of this being the case.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Weapon of Mass Assimilation

Originally posted by tny
Funny, most of the software on my Windows machine is compatible with MP3. So is my Mac, iTunes, and iPod (though of course the iPod is formatted HFS+ and so isn't usable directly with the Windows machine). WMA isn't a standard format - it's MS trying to force its own solution down everyone's throat.

Funny how most MP3 players, other then iPod, play WMA. How more then a few DVD players play WMA, How some CD/MP3 players play WMA, how even some car CD decks/changes play WMA. WMA may not be a standard in the pure sense of the word but they are doing a good job at emulating it. The fact of the matter is there are a whole heck of a lot of devices that play WMA. Name me one device other then the Mac and iPod that play AAC? We aren't talking about MP3 because last I heard, other then MP3PRO, there is no way to place DRM on an MP3 and DRM is the ONLY way you are going to get the RIAA to open to online sales. This is really simple. If Apple wants to win the Windows platform they need to support WMA.

PS - Please note that I don’t have a single Weapon of Mass Assimilation located on my computer. (Or my fav Windows Monopoly Advancer.) Go to http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com and search for jonathan1 and WMA. Since 2001 I’ve rallied against WMA and ANY type of DRM. Esp anything coming from MS. But I’ve learned a simple lesson in that time. You can’t and won’t beat Microsoft in direct completion. It’s not going to happen. If Apple wants to win the online music game they have to eat their pride and support WMA. That doesn’t mean they can’t promote the use of ACC at every turn but it does mean that to get the market share in the online music game they are going to have to buddy up to MS for a while. At least close enough to them to pick their pockets of switchers and iTunes\iTMS converts.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL

Doubtful for several reasons. The biggest being that Apple would have to store not one but two copies of the song.
-One for WMA, one for AAC talk about overkill on disk space.
-Second. I doubt apple would go too far in supporting WMA. I have to imagine it takes time to encode, what are they at now?, 300,000 songs. That is a lot of time and manpower and costs involved for supporting MS.
-Third. Let em wait for their music. Make things a bit difficult for the Windows folks by requiring them to convert their music. No free ride for using WMA. If you are going to use it you get to sit there like a trained dog.

The easies and best solution would be to have Apple license the WMA 9 codec and have iTunes for Windows do on the fly recoding of the song. Heck while it’s recoding the song you could have a little banner that says: Hate to wait for your music? Then try Apple's superior, open source, AAC format. Or something along those lines.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
my .02

Just because ACC is the superior format, doesn't mean it's the more widely supported format. If i was a window user, i would stick with the format that more mp3 players support.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Supporting WMA is different than supporting WMA with MSFT DRM. Quicktime can decode and encode many different codecs. Apple should support WMA, just not WMA DRM. Why? Many PC users already RIP their legally owned CD's using WMA. So support it on both PC's and MACs. Just don't support MSFT DRM. Most WM players do not support WMA with DRM. The DRM takes too much processing power.

From what I know, Apple doubled the processing power of the 3rd generation iPods though the additional power is still going unused. Speculation is that the additional power would support movie decoding in the future. This makes sense. An iPod is a much better deal than a Media Edition PC if it can also record and play Movies. How cool would that be!

And too boot,having an iPod record your photo's on the road, you can take 1000's of photos! How awesome is that!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
nagromme, you and every Mac user that is holding a grudge against MS better get over it in a hurry. 95% market share means that to beat MS at their own game Apple needs to be compatable. iTMS and the iPod are not Macs and Mac OS. These products are OS independent going after the general consumer. They dang well better be as compatible as possible with everything if Apple wants to take on MS, MusicMatch, Napster, etc, etc, etc. If this does come true and you feel betrayed you better get over it because as Apple becomes more consumer device oriented this is going to become the norm. Obviously they are going to continue to push OSX...I mean for god sake it IS Apple and that is their baby.

If Apple opened the iPod up to WMA, they would be providing a lot of competition for their own iTunes Music Store. As it stands now, the WMA-only stores don't work on iPods, so iPod owners will go to an MP3 or AAC source-- and i think the store is secondary to the player. The iPod is a huge hit, by NOT adding WMA support, they're doing a good job of keeping people with the iTMS...

I think your arguement is more "everyone should play nice" than "this makes business sense". And MS is the king of not playing nice. You think if it were reversed, MS would be supporting AAC? I think not. They've tried very hard to keep compatability to a minimum.

Bottom line: adding WMA support would cut into Apple's profits in the iTMS. NOT adding it would perhaps make a few people buy other players... but it wouldn't be nearly the loss that Apple would suffer if they abandoned the iTMS.

pnw

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Originally posted by paulwhannel
If Apple opened the iPod up to WMA, they would be providing a lot of competition for their own iTunes Music Store. As it stands now, the WMA-only stores don't work on iPods, so iPod owners will go to an MP3 or AAC source-- and i think the store is secondary to the player. The iPod is a huge hit, by NOT adding WMA support, they're doing a good job of keeping people with the iTMS...
This is exactly the way I see it, and why I'd be really surprised if Apple added WMA support to the iPod. I could believe it if they added non-DRM WMA, but I just don't see Apple buying into MS DRM whether it's a good idea or not.

The most likely thing, though, seems like adding non-DRM WMA support to iTunes (on Win, anyway), but not to the iPod.

We'll see, though.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Okay, I in no way think any of this will happen, but as long as we're throwing out lists of ipod possibilities, imagine this.

I present to you...the PowerPod!

With new camera attachment! Take stills and video with up to 40 gigs of storage space! Never be stuck looking for SD cards in a 7-11 in Cleveland again! (Hey, if cell phones can take pictures and video, why not powerpods?) Just plug in the adapter to the dock connector, the screen automatically flips, and you get b/w previews. (We went for decades w/o previews at all, so this isn't totally unthinkable. Well, maybe.)

And combined with Panther's new Home on powerpod feature, all your media is already with you, all of the time! Music, video, pics, all on demand!*

*adapters for video/audio presentation sold separately. Apple is not responsible for artistic talent and/or taste of owner.

Obviously this will not happen, but it *would* be cool, IMO. Plus, we reduce gadgetry by a factor of 2. Now I know some of us like to walk around with holsters for 87 different gadgets, but I really wouldn't mind having an mp3 player that doubles as a digital cam, dv cam, and hey, why not a dvr while we're at it? Plug in the inputs, set to record, and you're off. Can input/output go through the same channel? (not at the same time, obviously, but when set to play at one instance and record at another)

Oh well, just a dream.:)

joeyboy76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
Singapore
Originally posted by bitfactory
Windows Media? hahahaha - that blows the credibility of this report... i find it hard to believe they would do that - especially if the iPod doesn't support it (and hopefully never will). dream on.

hopefully, if iTunes would really support WMA, it is only to have built in conversion to WAV, AIFF, MP3 or AAC!!! :D

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Originally posted by frozenstar
The theoretical peak data rate of Bluetooth v1.1 is 1 mbps. The real-world sustained data rate is about 150-200 kbps. Clearly, that's more than enough to stream a 128 kbps AAC file. If necessary, iTunes can even re-encode higher bandwidth files on the fly.

That's streaming files. Not the actual audio you get when you decompress the files to listen to them. Unless the headset has an decoder built into it (and that would really add to the size and decrease the battery life of said headset) I don't see the bluetooth headset being correct.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Maybe that RIAA doesn't want AAC going around the PC world, since it may be easier to break?

You think so?

Oddly enough, WMA's DMA has already been broken. FairPlay has not.

Hmmm ...

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
sorry for double post. :eek:

On the serious side, Dark iTMS *should* support WMA for compatibility and continuance of existence issues. It's not like Apple has to sell WMA on Dark iTMS or encode to it. In fact, it could be an opportunity to push AAC.

User: why does this file sound so crappy? oh, it's wma. I should re-encode all my music to AAC so it sounds good like the stuff I bought off iTMS. [/pure conjecture] (i really don't know how good wma sounds, does anyone here know?)

BT earbuds would kickass. I need new ones, so they'd definitely have one pair sold. :)

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by Thanatoast

(i really don't know how good wma sounds, does anyone here know?)

Well for me when i listen to WMA's words like, "tin-can" and "complete utter s***" come to mind.

Infact i refuse to have any M$ software or M$ related files on my G5. I don't want to soil it with their half-assed software and lame pseudo-standard formats.

I hope we never see WMA supported in any of apples software, doing so only hurts them in the long run. Supporting M$ "standards" only strengthens them, it sends the wrong signal to content developers, that it's OK to use M$ instead of a real cross platform standard format, and before you know it they'll try to force more users to use windows because WM11 requires "advanced" technology in their newest lame attempt to copy Apple's OS.

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
I wish I could find a source, but I think WMA was submitted as an open standard.

Low bitrate WMA files sound a hell of a lot better to me than other low bitrate files, I'd take a 56kps WMA file over the same size MP3 or AAC anyday. Above that it's a lot different. WMP9 defaults to ripping at 56k WMA files. If you want the Windows market at the lowest common denominator (aka non-savvy users) they need to be able to play the music they already have.

I'm not buying the "AAC is superior" line either, not over MP3 anyway. Let iTMS deliver it's content in AAC, but iTunesWindows should play WMA files on the fly, or it won't fly at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.