Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jkazmeyer

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Madison TN
I have had no problems syncing either, but I don't think that's the issue. It sounds like comex believes that apple closed the exploit used by spirit to perform the jailbreak. Has any one actually experienced a problem using spirit after updating? It sounds like everyone that has updated has had no issue.

RobBookPro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
i just used the spirit jb while running 9.2 and it bricked the iPad.

Just finished restoring and going to try again on my laptop running 9.1.1

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If someone is daring to try it, do you all make sure iTunes helper is not running before you use Spirit JB.

See what I don't understand is that 'why is it making a connection to itunes'.

The Spirit JB is separate from it. You already have an activated iPad, and when you run Spirit JB as long Asa you turn off itunes helper and make sure iTunes is closed then - it unlocks / jb's your iPad without going near iTunes ? :confused:

Or is it a case that it utilises a file in one of your system folders for itunes when initializing the JB ? :confused: As like i say i was under the impression it only looks and changes files on your iPad not your computer and likewise therefore not iTunes.

So unless it's a case that people are not closing iTunes fully (including iTunes helper) and when they run Spirit JB it's interfering, or after Spirit JB software has finished they are not unplugging the iPad from the computer immediately whilst the iPad is being updated with the psychedelic loader screen.

emkwan

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2009
Since updating iTunes 9.2 on my mac accidentally ivnoticed my iPad is a lot more buggier. :-( does any one know how can I go back to iTunes 9.1?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Since updating iTunes 9.2 on my mac accidentally ivnoticed my iPad is a lot more buggier. :-( does any one know how can I go back to iTunes 9.1?

Yes download 9.1.1 from the links I posted earlier.

Delete or rename iTunes 9.2 current.

After 9.1.1 is installed.

When starting older iTunes it will tell you that your iTunes library can't be read because it is an older version.

To re-link your iTunes library hold down option|ALT when launching iTunes and it will ask you to find locate your library. Re-point it to your library and it will sort it for you.

emkwan

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2009
Yes download 9.1.1 from the links I posted earlier.

Delete or rename iTunes 9.2 current.

After 9.1.1 is installed.

When starting older iTunes it will tell you that your iTunes library can't be read because it is an older version.

To re-link your iTunes library hold down option|ALT when launching iTunes and it will ask you to find locate your library. Re-point it to your library and it will sort it for you.

Thanks dude. But do u think the bugginess is being caused by iTunes 9.2?

I'v just uninstalled pro switcher and its made a major difference

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Well that's good news I guess since I already JBed the pad. I've held off from updating, but will have to soon as the new phone shows up.

nowstime

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Can somebody explain how to downgrade from 9.2 to 9.1.1 in a PC? I just afraid my library will be lost if I delete 9.2 then reinstall 9.1.1.

Any input will help...

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
BUY THEM!!!

If you can afford an Apple iPad, iPhone & iPod Touch, you can afford the apps for them.

I hate people who say if you can afford A then you can afford B.

Not always. You might stick your neck out to and scrape up money or use your credit card to buy A and have nothing left for B.

I don't condone stealing, but people say this about all sorts of things.

MarkNH

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
My iPad is synced to 9.2 one my main computer, I have a second computer without itunes, I installed 9.1.1 on the second computer, set it to not sync automatically, plugged in the iPad and spiritjb ran without any problems.

This would be a good solution for anyone with two computers who wants to avoid the hassle of removing/renaming their itunes 9.2.

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Picked up one of the new minis over the weekend and didn't stop to think that maybe I shouldn't update everything, oh well. Worst case, I have a 10.4 install on my macbook, I can boot into that, I haven't updated the itunes in a while. Not even sure if it's 9 at this point.

Travisb1978

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
My iPad is synced to 9.2 one my main computer, I have a second computer without itunes, I installed 9.1.1 on the second computer, set it to not sync automatically, plugged in the iPad and spiritjb ran without any problems.

This would be a good solution for anyone with two computers who wants to avoid the hassle of removing/renaming their itunes 9.2.

Mark, could you then sync your spirit jb iPad back to your 9.2itunes.?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ yes. It is only a problem when installing Spirit JB. From that point on it makes no matter the iTunes version.

I'm still looking for an actual reason as to why iTunes would be causing it to happen, when iTunes itself is seemingly not used to JB anyway.

MarkNH

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
Mark, could you then sync your spirit jb iPad back to your 9.2itunes.?

Yes, no problems, ipad is happily jailbroken and syncing with 9.2 with sbsettings, winterboard, ssh access, gv mobile +, categories, categoriessb, glasklart theme, infinidock, proswitcher etc etc all working smoothly.

Only small problem so far is MobileTerminal crashing so I can't change the root password, as long as ssh is turned off in sbsettings there isn't a security hole though.

bilibug

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Stockton NJ
Only small problem so far is MobileTerminal crashing so I can't change the root password, as long as ssh is turned off in sbsettings there isn't a security hole though.

Use a terminal program on your computer (literally, "Terminal" on a MAC) to SSH remotely into the iPad. You can then change the root passwords for security. Command is "SSH root@[ipad's ip address]". You will get prompted for the password. You can then use the usual commands to change both the root and mobile passwords.

MarkNH

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
Use a terminal program on your computer (literally, "Terminal" on a MAC) to SSH remotely into the iPad. You can then change the root passwords for security. Command is "SSH root@[ipad's ip address]". You will get prompted for the password. You can then use the usual commands to change both the root and mobile passwords.

Yep, I've done that now, thanks. Windows 7 apparently doesn't come with a terminal program :confused: but I downloaded putty (free) and that worked perfectly for changing the root password (both on the ipad and on my old 3g that I put iOS4 on).

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
So I can sync with iTunes 9.2 just can't jailbreak with it. The reason is cause spirit uses iTunes restore function to install the jailbreak

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
Since a new Spirit jailbreak with iTunes 9.2 is a no-go, I'm wondering if I can just jailbreak on my wife's Mac (older version of iTunes), then go back to syncing with iTunes 9.2 on my Mac?

There's lots of info out there on downgrading iTunes to allow Spirit to run successfully, but if it's as simple as running the JB on a different computer that sounds much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.