Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reethegee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2018
Recently, I reset my iPhone (7, iOS 11.2.1) to factory settings, like I always do when the Documents & Data size starts getting crazy. As usual, I made a backup before reformatting my device. However, my backup disappeared. It is not on iTunes, or anywhere in my laptop. In case, for some reason, a backup was never made, I also tried running recovery softwares to just find any of my old files, but no such luck. I ran five recovery softwares already.

Is there still any way for me to get my data back? Thanks!

(EDIT)
It seems I've overwritten the files. By accident, after the factory reset, I loaded an old backup onto the phone. When I realised what happened, I reset the phone again, this time setting it up as a new phone. I am no longer optimistic that the files can still be recovered. Instead, I'd like to know what setting I should've used after the reset so that I could've still retrieved from data?)

(PS: Yes, I've tried Googling and YouTubing the problem, but none of the solutions, e.g., recovery software, manually looking up the folders, turned up any good results.)

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Do you use TM? If so you can recover the files. If not what about your laptop backup? You should be bale to recover it from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.