Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has started organizing compilations on the iTunes Music Store. A new feature called "iTunes Essentials" takes advantage of the flexibility of single-song sales by creating make-shift compilation albums.

Apple offers 41 'iTunes Essentials' compilations at the moment. A few examples:

For more iTunes Song Recommendations, visit DailyTunes.com

Article Link: iTunes Essentials

Last edited:

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
this is cool, it looks apple is really starting to provide kind of a "family store" kind of feel... by that i mean a very close communicative relationship with its customers

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
it's freakin' great to see Hanson relegated to to the annals of history as a one hit wonder... yay, good day for all of us...

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I wonder how the record industry feels about this? They are losing more control with this move from Apple. (I do however like the idea!) I just wonder what the RIAA thinks...

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Yay! I just bought the theme from "To Kill A Mockingbird"!

I don't think the RIAA or the labels will care how Apple sells the songs, puts them together, or whatever, so long as they and the artists get their money.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Good, not great

I think they need to offer a discount if you buy the whole record. They also should offer "essentials" on types of music most people don't listen to, like electronic, world music, etc... But still a good idea:)

Phelark

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2003
Twisting Nether.
Brilliance

This is what I've been hoping they would do since day one of the store. That combined with the AOL synchronization and the iTMS in a new window (Actually a HUGE improvement), I'm just glad to have stock in Apple.

That and they allowed me to redownload my songs that were lost in a freak hard drive accident. Good times indeed.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I really like this idea. Much more interested in this vs. the celebrity playlists. You'd think they would have given a small price break though. Then again I might come close to puting the same playlist together using my own CD's, give or take a song or two.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's not another way to lead people to music to try, like Also Bought and the celebrity playlists. Why not?

BTW Apple has said they don't take payment from labels to promote music--not even in the banner "ads." Apple decides what to promote. (Of course, popularity is a big factor there, so it's not like Apple's editors are striking out on their own tangent either.)

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
Re: Good, not great

Originally posted by Moonlight
I think they need to offer a discount if you buy the whole record. They also should offer "essentials" on types of music most people don't listen to, like electronic, world music, etc... But still a good idea:)

Give it time big boy. They just made it happen..... I'm sure we'll be seeing stuff like that soon.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
iTUNES in EUROPE, NOW PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

iTunes is great i love it, but please apple hurry up, if you want the same market share in Europe as the US, otherwise others will be the first in europe, try to catch up then....
I don't want that to happen, you don't ant that to happen, so lets not have it happen, iTunes, europe, now! not tomorrow!!!!

The wait has been far too long already, I am getting very frustrated here! :( :( :(

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Other than the fact that it's one more way for me to find songs to spend 99c on, I love it.

Generally, I like to browse and buy vs. going to the store with a specific list of songs I'd like to get. For shoppers who shop as I shop, this is a good thing.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
OK, how can you have road-trip essentials and leave out Born to be Wild ?

I was expecting to see this thread full of complainers about this, that or the other being left off an "essentials" and I was fully prepared to tell them to get over it. But c'mon...

"Get your motor runnin'...
Head out on the highway...
Looking for adventure...
In whatever comes our way..."

Can you sum up a road trip any better than that? <sigh>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.