Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How to stop iTunes Media Services from consuming my data?

• Bug?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something related to my phone?

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

JohnnyJackson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2018
Hey guys,
I have been suffering with high cellular data usage.

The iTunes Media services is consuming all my data! I am on a limited bundle (only 5 GB/month) and this caused me a lot during the past year!

Everything related to iTunes or Music is turned off, and still suffering! I had thi problem since iOS 11 beta,11 GM and also now on iOS 12 beta!

In my country there is no Apple Store to take my phone there:/

any help guys? Now I have to live with 500mb for 15days!

Attachments

• 8F80A19E-27F1-4B9B-8D83-6A90C27BD1A1.jpeg
    8F80A19E-27F1-4B9B-8D83-6A90C27BD1A1.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 895

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Have to ask the dumb questions.

Sure all download options are off? There is automatic download options in Music and iTunes stores (ie. Bought a video/songs and now downloading automatically).

Wifi Assist on?

Doing OS and or app updates at night? The wifi connection can drop when phone goes dark and whatever is left to update is done via cellular.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Toggle off WiFi Assist, or App Store & iTunes under Cellular setting and turn off "Use Cellular Data" in iTunes & App Stores

JohnnyJackson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2018
Hey guys,
Thank you for your help.
Yes everything is turned off, nothing is on! At night the mobile data is off too.

Nothing has worked so far, not even a full restore.

What do you think ?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Another dumb question. Restore? As in from backup? IF there's something weird going on with a configuration item on the device, that would not clear up anything. Need to do a setup as new (yeah, pain in the behind to get everything back to normal, but would give a clean slate).

Might try completely deleting the Music, TV, App Store, iTunes Stores. Not sure if that is possible on all of them, but something to try. And if possible, run a few days without those. IF the bleed stops, then might try re-installing one by one to see which app is causing grief.

Does your cell provider have a reporting capability, where you can generate a report for data usage? Or in their billing statement? If so, might want to see if there are spikes for cellular data usage, which might point to what the phone was being used for at that time.

Otherwise, I'm out of guesses as I have not run into runaway cell network usage. Have had unexplained battery drain, but a setup as new cleared that up.

If analytics is turned on, there is a log-aggregate file that will show how much cellular is used on a given day for iTunes subsystem, but does not give any indication when in the day (the file can be exported, then brought up in a text editor; search for "itunes" [lower-case] repeatedly and will see something along the lines of "wwlan" attribute: the following line will be the one showing how many KBs used in a slice of time by the service). Dig through enough of these, might see a pattern, say workdays ok, but once weekend hits, use goes up. MIGHT help narrow down a cause.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.