Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
benjamindaines said:
APPLE BETTER NOT!!! I dont want to have to pay 10$ a month forever or have my music stop working like Napster.

Just a subscription model would be bad. But a subscription and buy model combined could be very nice. You could download on the subscription as many songs as you wanted plus buy the ones you wanted to keep forever. This would give you the best of both worlds as well as kicking the wind out of Napster's sails.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The NTG service is not as bad as people make it out to be-

1. You only have to DRM check your music once a month, not every 3-4 days.
2. It goes along with their 99 cents a song store.

I think Apple should offer a modified service that is designed to supplement and enhance music purchasing, rather than designed to replace it.

$10 for unlimited music rentals is probably unrealistic- too cheap. But they could offer for $5 a month, up to say 300 songs a month for 'rental'. That's probably more than enough songs per month for most people, plus it allows you to sample new music and purchase new music (CD's or iTunes) at the same time.

It would also offer a compelling alternative to NTG. I don't know if the revenue at around $5 a month would be enough though.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
madmaxmedia said:
The NTG service is not as bad as people make it out to be-

1. You only have to DRM check your music once a month, not every 3-4 days.
2. It goes along with their 99 cents a song store..

Are you an actual Napster to Go subscriber, because I'm curious if its just a problem I'm having? Every 3 to 4 days my tracks no longer open, and I receive a message telling me to log back into my Napster account to reactivate my license.

Also, when trying to log back into my Napster account, windows scans every file (3000+) and updates the license for each file. This results in at least a 15 minute wait, sometimes longer on P4 3Ghz with nice specs.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
joshuawaire said:
Are you an actual Napster to Go subscriber, because I'm curious if its just a problem I'm having? Every 3 to 4 days my tracks no longer open, and I receive a message telling me to log back into my Napster account to reactivate my license.

Also, when trying to log back into my Napster account, windows scans every file (3000+) and updates the license for each file. This results in at least a 15 minute wait, sometimes longer on P4 3Ghz with nice specs.

Hi Joshua,

I'm actually not, just going by what reviews have said (I didn't know that you were, otherwise would've just gone with what you said.) I have read of at least 1 more account of similar problems (needing to log back in often to reactivate music.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.