Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjmurry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
I am trying to get my older Sennheiser USB headset to work with my iPhone XS to make and take phone calls. However, I cannot get this to work. I am attaching the usb headset to apple's lightning to USB connector. The iPhone registers the product as headphones. I am able to listen to music with no problem, and it sounds great! I am even able to use the microphone on the headset to record sounds into Garageband and Voice Memos on the iPhone, so its not a issue with the headset using too much power. I am just not able to get the microphone to work with the PHONE APP. I can use the headset microphone in all other iPhone apps, with the exception of the PHONE APP.

When I get a call and the headset is plugged in, my only options to route the call are to "iPhone", "Speaker", and my AppleTV units (which is kinda weird). It doesn't give me the ability to use the USB headset. I first started researching this about 2 weeks ago when I was able to start working from home, I haven't found anything which is helpful to this issue. My company uses the AVAYA phone system which is a little awkward at first when using it at home ... those of you who use this system will understand.

The end of the headphone jack splits into the classic green and pink colored 3.5mm jacks. Then there is a dongle which accepts the two 3.5mm jacks to USB. This got me thinking, maybe this is an issue with the USB, what if I get a cable which accepts the green and pink 3.5mm cables to a 3.5mm TRRS jack, then use apple's 3.5mm TRRS to lightning adapter. So I bought these adapters from Amazon. Unfortunately this did not work either. I am still stuck in the same place. The other phone apps recognize it, but the PHONE APP does not.

Back in the day (10 years ago), I used these headphones with Skype and they are awesome! I may have to surrender to connect to the AVAYA system through Skype.

I have gone through all the settings in Accessibility on the iPhone, but have not found anything to enable an external microphone within the PHONE APP. This just blows my mind.

FYI - I have tried my AirPods and another Bluetooth headset with a microphone built into the bottom of the headphones. The quality is OK, but I get complaints from people stating I sound either muffled or very distant. Because of this I thought a wired headset to my iPhone would be the best solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.