Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Oled with apple actually means PWM . I wouldn't count on it. I don't see apple allowing DC dimming on their devices

Just get an ipad pro 11" LCD if you don't want PWM (M1 for one doesn't have pwn at all)
Thanks for the advice, I already say in the main post that I bought an M2 for this very reason. Maybe getting a discounted 1TB M2 iPP would be a good idea, but I prefer to wait and see what Apple has to offer, and try it first hand.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
If they come with another color options other than Silver or Space Gray. I know that's silly, but my life is already pretty monochromatic. I need colors in my life.
I'd be much more interested in getting a Pro if they came in nicer colors. It's ridiculous, I suppose, because most of the time I don't even see the color because I'm looking at the screen. But gray and silver are just not very enticing. In fact, the only iPad that currently has colors that I really like is the iPad 10. The pink, yellow and blue are nice. The blue on the Air and the purple on the mini are nice, but especially the purple is almost gray in some lighting conditions. So...

Give me iMac-like colors all across the iPad spectrum! :D

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I'd be much more interested in getting a Pro if they came in nicer colors. It's ridiculous, I suppose, because most of the time I don't even see the color because I'm looking at the screen. But gray and silver are just not very enticing. In fact, the only iPad that currently has colors that I really like is the iPad 10. The pink, yellow and blue are nice. The blue on the Air and the purple on the mini are nice, but especially the purple is almost gray in some lighting conditions. So...

Just put a skin on it:

neutrino17

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2022
I’ll be getting the iPad Pro if it has an M4. I’d really like a landscape camera. I’d also like the surface to better interact with the Pencil to feel more like writing on paper. Other than that everything else is gravy. My iPP is good but the battery is not as durable as it was when new (three years ago).

Reactions: heretiq

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

Midnight, Starlight/Natural Ti, Silver and a darker Space Black (my M2 Space Grey looks pretty silver-ish).

I’d get either the Midnight or the Silver one.

Having iMac-like colors on the Pro lineup is unlikely, but if that was the case, I’d get the dark green one. Or maybe the dark blue one.

Reactions: SamRyouji

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’ll be getting the iPad Pro if it has an M4. I’d really like a landscape camera. I’d also like the surface to better interact with the Pencil to feel more like writing on paper. Other than that everything else is gravy. My iPP is good but the battery is not as durable as it was when new (three years ago).
Ohhh true! There was this rumor of the iPad Pro screen being offered in a matte glass finish.

I’d get that if it didn’t affect the crispness of the display, but I doubt it, so I’d get the glossy one.

DoghouseMike

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2011
UK
Maybe Sidecar could work, but my 2014 Mac mini doesn’t support Sidecar
Just regarding this bit, have you considered using OCLP to either “feature unlock” the mini, and/or update the OS to a newer version?
It’s a minor faff, but completely reversible, and would let you figure out if using the Mac via sidecar or similar is a viable option, and wouldn’t cost anything.
FWIW I’ve used it to drag a 2014 mini and 2012 MBP up to sonoma, and sidecar/universal control work fine.

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Just regarding this bit, have you considered using OCLP to either “feature unlock” the mini, and/or update the OS to a newer version?
It’s a minor faff, but completely reversible, and would let you figure out if using the Mac via sidecar or similar is a viable option, and wouldn’t cost anything.
FWIW I’ve used it to drag a 2014 mini and 2012 MBP up to sonoma, and sidecar/universal control work fine.
Is macOS 14 Sonoma already available to those machines??

I was a bit fearful of installing the OCLP, because it is a pretty low level patch of the EFI and, IIRC, it requires providing the Apple ID and the password, or something like that.

I already had a confrontation with a quite disrespectful member on the official support thread here on MR (one with a white dove on their profile picture) when I asked them how safe it was to install the patch. I was confronted in a pretty rude way by this individual and, rather than clarifying my doubts, they dissuaded me from installing it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Shirasaki

Coreymac84

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
It’s software at this point. Hardware…Landscape camera is also a must. Titanium material to make it more lightweight to offset the weight of the Magic Keyboard? That would be nice also as it sounds like the new Magic Keyboard will be even heavier. It all goes back to the OS though. It simply cannot continue to be a large iPhone….which people that are pro-iPad hate to hear but it still holds true in many regards. I have owned 3 iPads (last one being the 2018 12.9 with MKB) and I’m repeatedly disappointed. Maybe I’m not the target user idk….but if I’m not on my MBP it’s much easier to pull out my Pro Max than an iPad for content consumption and other leisure activities like writing this comment.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
I think you hit the nail on the head. I just bought an iPad Pro, so I won’t upgrade. I don’t upgrade any of my hardware annually. But I would like to see the improvements you’ve mentioned. I think that text selection is particularly problematic on the iPad. It’s not great on iPhone either, but I tried editing a Word document on my iPad, and marking text can be extremely frustrating, unless you use a mouse.

I feel as though the iPad walled garden holds advanced applications back. Or, I suppose if you draw, iPad is a great platform, but if you produce using a keyboard and mouse, it’s not as powerful a platform as a Mac, even when using a keyboard and mouse.

I’m traveling again next week, and I will bring only my iPad, along with my card reader, USB hub and SSD drive, so that I can backup my digital photos every day. It would be nice to be able to upload them to my Synology server, but I am doubtful that I will be able to move 30+ GB of files overnight.

My iPad Pro is the 11” screen, so if and when I upgrade the hardware, I want a better screen. The color reproduction on the 11” iPad Pro screen isn’t as good as I’d like. If I understood this better, I would have bought the 12.9” model instead. For day to day use, the 11” screen is perfectly fine, but for editing RAW photos in Lightroom and trying to white balance, it’s not to my personal liking. I have no idea whether an OLED screen would be better in this respect.
You did identify a problem for both iOS and iPadOS that’s been bugging me for years now— the text selection and editing is MUCH worse than it used to be. The old magnifying glass worked beautifully. Whoever designed/approved the new UI/UX for it should be given a strong talking to….

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I'm curious, what is the battery life you get out of your M2 11"?
I’d say pretty good, even tho I don’t measure it too much, I’d say I keep sticking to the regular 9 to 10 hours per charge. But my iPad is still pretty young (16-18 months). Still, I try to not let it get too hot, because I don’t want the batteries to degrade.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It simply cannot continue to be a large iPhone….which people that are pro-iPad hate to hear but it still holds true in many regards.
Apple has been proven to be extremely stubborn on this decision. Whether they don’t bother or can’t figure out what the heck an iPad is is irrelevant. iPadOS (which is just a fork of iOS) will limit iPad forever.
Whoever designed/approved the new UI/UX for it should be given a strong talking to….
Change for the sake of change so those designers can get their pay-check. Disgusting yes, but oh well.
I’d say pretty good, even tho I don’t measure it too much, I’d say I keep sticking to the regular 9 to 10 hours per charge. But my iPad is still pretty young (16-18 months). Still, I try to not let it get too hot, because I don’t want the batteries to degrade.
I don’t babysit my iPad Pro M1 much. While I am a bit worried when iPad becomes very hot when running some games, I rarely worry about battery life all too much. Still miles better than what iPhone or any sort can do with much bigger screen.

Reactions: Populus

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
One thing on my list is a second USB-C port. My monitor has a USB hub built in, but it's kind of slow when transferring files, and I don't think it has enough power for things. My Pebble USB speakers lose power if I turn them up too high, or my Elgato Capture Card works, but loses a lot of frames. Both I have no issues with connected directly to the iPad. I'm sure a dedicated USB hub would work too, but I think a second USB-C port would be welcome by a lot of people, even if it's just built into the next Magic Keyboard accessory - which I'd hope gets proper ports for data connection.
The current Magic Keyboard has an extra USB C port on the bottom left side. Sure ideally they could add one to the bottom right side for a total of 3 USB C ports. Not sure if the ports are hight data connection points though.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The current Magic Keyboard has an extra USB C port on the bottom left side. Sure ideally they could add one to the bottom right side for a total of 3 USB C ports. Not sure if the ports are hight data connection points though.
The Smart Connector would need to be updated, something which was rumored a while back, to support data.

Gelam

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2021
The Smart Connector would need to be updated, something which was rumored a while back, to support data.
It would be good if the smart connector can support data. And they will also have to solve the potential accidental "disconnection" due to the iPad being very easily removed from the keyboard stand. Same reason to why there is no data "magsafe" port for macs I think.

Gelam

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2021
Apple has been proven to be extremely stubborn on this decision. Whether they don’t bother or can’t figure out what the heck an iPad is is irrelevant. iPadOS (which is just a fork of iOS) will limit iPad forever.

Change for the sake of change so those designers can get their pay-check. Disgusting yes, but oh well.

I don’t babysit my iPad Pro M1 much. While I am a bit worried when iPad becomes very hot when running some games, I rarely worry about battery life all too much. Still miles better than what iPhone or any sort can do with much bigger screen.
I love to baby all my electronics so they look like new after I decommission them =). I want to keep them as museum pieces.

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
OLED display easy on my eyes.

M4 SoC:

Improved external monitor experience

12GB of minimum RAM:

What improvements have to come the next iPad Pro or iPadOS 18 with, for you to pull the trigger?
My opinions (and most of it is not going to happen)
-OLED: Do not know, must test. Love my miniLED MBP screen. That lovely 16 inch screen as an iPad would be a must have (OLED or no OLED).
-M4: M3 is OK for me as it has hardware rendering support
-External monitor: no - it is for the home use
-12 GM RAM: Yes fewer reloads of memory hungry apps (games) but as more AAA games are ported, 24 GB is better.
-Titanium frame to match my 25 year old Omega SeaMaster, well the latter has some gold inlays but I guess that is to stretch it too far in terms of vanity :)
-One USB-C port on each short side
-iPadOS: more creative use of the pencil and the on screen keyboard. Pencil: lasso select objects systemwide. On screen keyboard: trackpad with two finger works fine but after navigating to a position in a text let up drop a third finger and drag to select. Drop a fourth finger and you have the possibility to move the selected items/text. Possibility to automatically copy a selection without an additional command.
-Better utilisation of RAM (probably SSD swapping) to reduce reloads.
-Stability, do not crash my beloved Civ VI!!!
-WARNING: Keyboard jockeys please look away! I like onscreen keyboards so why not we who like it tether another iPad as a keyboard/trackpad and other user inputs frameworks like video editing setups or music production setups? That is to go away from the traditional keyboard which is good for one thing: text input. Imagine one screen for customised inputs and one for the content.

So when I realise the dreams is not being fulfilled, I will have a hard look at the 12.9 Air as a sensible upgrade.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I have a 2020 12.9 IPP and have maintained the features I would like to see to make me upgrade is - extended screen support, landscape camera and (true) desktop class browser.

With the M3 IPP it looks like a landscape camera is coming, if true, then we’re at 2 out of 3 of my wishes so I will be buying.

Everything else is a “nice to have” for me (OLED / M3) as the Pros have features I already want 120mhz screen, quad speakers, Face ID, Stage Manager, keyboard and pen.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It would be good if the smart connector can support data. And they will also have to solve the potential accidental "disconnection" due to the iPad being very easily removed from the keyboard stand. Same reason to why there is no data "magsafe" port for macs I think.
I have never had my iPad accidentally disconnect from its Magic Keyboard, even when open. I literally just picked my 13” Pro up by the iPad and shook it vigorously and the MK didn’t fall off. Mac MagSafe was designed to disconnect when the cord is pulled, iPad Pro magnets not so much.

Reactions: transpo1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.