Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
With hopes of refinements to Stage Manager and some AI goodies rumored to be introduced. I’d like to add… I wish Apple revamp the Notification Center on iPadOS, too much screen real estate not being taking advantage of. And on the topic of Stage Manager… maybe they add support for widgets on the external display.
That’s the predictable outcome for iPadOS 18, wether we like it or not. But honestly, I hope that whatever they change or refine, it’s oriented towards a better experience with an external monitor. Also the Files app and external drives management have room for improvement.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You just described the Magic Keyboard. Second USB port for charging, strong magnetic connection, and a weighty stand; just buy a used one and they aren't particularly expensive.

I wouldn’t buy something as flimsy new and would absolutely steer clear of a used one especially on any product that has the most minimal of warranties attached.

Reactions: ric22 and gusping

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I bought the original M1 iPad Pro 11 with max specs (16gb ram, 1tb ssd, 5g) because "surely" it would replace my MacBook, "surely." Well here we are 3 years and 3 day later and I am no closer to replacing my MacBook, and not a hint that Apple will ever bestow parity in iPadOS to MacOS, not dual booting or even a VM running MacOS. Apple is still stuffing a full desktop class processor in the iPad Pro hobbled by a phone/tablet OS and lame windowing model offered in Stage Manager. It's like putting a Porsche engine in a Corolla. I don't want a new take on windowing, I want real windowing aka MacOS, and a Finder to create my own hierarchical file structure (be sure to add external drive ejection). Shame on you Apple...

So for me this is the last stand for iPad Pro. If Apple won't properly release a "Pro" device to fully replace my MacBook, there will be no reason to ever upgrade the M1 (well - I should dial that back because a landscape oriented camera would be really nice). No shame on me...
So many at Macrumours that really are angry with them self. Apple did not fool you. It said iPad Pro on the package and that means iPadOS. Apple could have used the M1 name for the Mac and A14X for iPad for exactly the same SoC to avoid this confusion but that would only lead to other confusions.

There are many kinds of professionals and some must use an iPad for their work because the Mac does not have certain functions like the pencil. If you are tied to you desk, mainly uses a keyboard, a Mac is most likely the correct choice. Apple has absolutely no reason to change that.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Lousy attitude toward people with real issues. Think what you like.
Unfortunately caring for minorities is not often done in many situations and companies.

How many Hz is Apple running their PMW? I recalled that we used 20 kHz in a lab. Difficult to think anyone would be able to registrer. It would be a simple case to increase the PWM rate.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I bought the original M1 iPad Pro 11 with max specs (16gb ram, 1tb ssd, 5g) because "surely" it would replace my MacBook, "surely." Well here we are 3 years and 3 day later and I am no closer to replacing my MacBook, and not a hint that Apple will ever bestow parity in iPadOS to MacOS, not dual booting or even a VM running MacOS. Apple is still stuffing a full desktop class processor in the iPad Pro hobbled by a phone/tablet OS and lame windowing model offered in Stage Manager. It's like putting a Porsche engine in a Corolla. I don't want a new take on windowing, I want real windowing aka MacOS, and a Finder to create my own hierarchical file structure (be sure to add external drive ejection). Shame on you Apple...

So for me this is the last stand for iPad Pro. If Apple won't properly release a "Pro" device to fully replace my MacBook, there will be no reason to ever upgrade the M1 (well - I should dial that back because a landscape oriented camera would be really nice). No shame on me...
That has always been the risk with buying too much into internet hype. It's nice to be able to hope once in a while, but ultimately, the responsibility is with us on what we choose to believe (and what not to believe).

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
M4 rumours have all but killed my interest in it. It’s gonna be for people on the AI hype train and otherwise justification for further price hikes for those who aren’t.

Also don’t appreciate the way Apple has made peripherals like keyboards and pencils exclusively tied to specific iPads, just so you have to re-buy a more expensive version of everything any time you upgrade.

I like having an iPad but can’t justify the premium Apple seems to think they command. At least at launch. I guess I’ll wait another generation if necessary and buy this one if they go on clearance. All I really want is an upgrade over washed out lcd backlight tech, when literally every other screen I own is well past that. They coulda probably made me bite if there’d been an 11” mini led in either of the last two generations 🤷

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I wouldn’t buy something as flimsy new and would absolutely steer clear of a used one especially on any product that has the most minimal of warranties attached.
Maybe you're mixing the keyboards up. The hinges in the Magic Keyboard are very stiff, and they have to be since it's designed to hold the iPad up off the keyboard by a few cm. But as far as the floppy non-hinged keyboards go, no, I wouldn't trust my iPad in them either

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Also don’t appreciate the way Apple has made peripherals like keyboards and pencils exclusively tied to specific iPads, just so you have to re-buy a more expensive version of everything any time you upgrade.
Keyboards will probably be fine and compatible with newer iPads (and vice versa) as long as the connectors and magnet layouts don't change. The Pencil lineup is a (deliberate?) mess and really needs to be sorted out before it gets worse

Reactions: stevemiller

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Just think of all the power the M4 will have for you that you are all waiting so desperately for. Like browsing the internet and playing Angry Birds. Definitely need that M4! 😉

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Just think of all the power the M4 will have for you that you are all waiting so desperately for. Like browsing the internet and playing Angry Birds. Definitely need that M4! 😉
It’s not a question of power on day one, it’s a question of how much power it’ll have when it’s a five year old tablet. I’m betting it’ll still be quite a lot even for 2029. I’ve had my current iPad for 7 years and intend to keep the next one just as long so this matters to me.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It’s not a question of power on day one, it’s a question of how much power it’ll have when it’s a five year old tablet. I’m betting it’ll still be quite a lot even for 2029. I’ve had my current iPad for 7 years and intend to keep the next one just as long so this matters to me.

And there are power-hungry applications today, e.g., 4K video processing.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Keyboards will probably be fine and compatible with newer iPads (and vice versa) as long as the connectors and magnet layouts don't change. The Pencil lineup is a (deliberate?) mess and really needs to be sorted out before it gets worse
If the new keyboard was compatible with my M1 iPad Pro I’d be pleasantly surprised! It would probably make me reconsider purchase (or at least delay) getting out the debit card for the next iPad Pro. But, I doubt that backwards compatibility will actually happen due to all the rumored changes.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
If the new keyboard was compatible with my M1 iPad Pro I’d be pleasantly surprised! It would probably make me reconsider purchase (or at least delay) getting out the debit card for the next iPad Pro. But, I doubt that backwards compatibility will actually happen due to all the rumored changes.

Would definitely be a factor in my decision. I like the MKB on my M1 12.9 but I wouldn't want to have shell out for a new one with a more expensive Pro.

Reactions: jazz1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.