Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobertApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Hi. I hope I've done the right thing. I've ordered the new mac mini 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo,GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB,500GB Serial ATA Drive.
And have about 40 GB of music I want to transfer to the new mac mini as well as well a lot's of pictures. I'm going to HDMI to my 42" Phillips tv. As a monitor. My flat is small, so the screen will be about 7 foot away. I just need it for e-mail, and internet. I'll be getting a iPad soon. Do you think this is a good mix? good idea or not? I've got an old PowerBook G4. 5 YRS old, need to up date.

Cheers, Robert

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Sounds solid. I'd personally not like that large of a monitor but that is all personal preference anyway.

I too will be going the Mac Mini plus iPad route for my computing needs.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I think it's a great idea. I have a very similar setup at home as well.

Just exchanged my old mini up to the new Mac Mini about an hour ago; the refresh with the new aluminum unibody looks fantastic and is very thin.
Congrats on the purchase and I'm sure you're going to be very pleased.

I would suggest looking into Plex as well to possibly use the mini as a HTPC.

Took some pics side-by-side with my 15" Macbook Pro so you can get an idea of the size and how it looks. The phone pics aren't the clearest but you get an idea.

Attachments

• web.jpg
    web.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 138
  • web3.jpg
    web3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 118
  • web2.jpg
    web2.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 104

RobertApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Re:New Mac Mini

Thanks guys!
Thanks for your advise. I've got a small living room, so that should work fine. As I don't have money to burn. And as for an ipad I'll wait for a mate to get me one from the U.S.A. As everything in the Uk cost a lot more . I'm no fool. I've had mac's since 1992. the first imac. 2nd one-Flower-Face imac.. then powerBook G4. Which I'm feed up being on my coffee table Wish it had the intel Core i5 or but HEY!

Cheers guy's.

Robert

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
How easy is it to get at the hard drive for swapping?

They essentially made the ram very easy to get to, and that's about it. Anything else and the guts are going to be pulled out. If you've seen the pics on apple.com with the access panel removed, that's exactly it, other than my ram is blue.

Standard HDD is a Toshiba 320GB 5400RPM by the way.

sdv5

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Noise and heat

How quiet is the new Mini when displaying HD video? Is the fan audible? How hot to touch does the new Mini get after several hours (preferrably watching a video)?

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX

Just exchanged my old mini up to the new Mac Mini about an hour ago; the refresh with the new aluminum unibody looks fantastic and is very thin.

Took some pics side-by-side with my 15" Macbook Pro so you can get an idea of the size and how it looks. The phone pics aren't the clearest but you get an idea.

Thanks for the real life pictures of the new Mini. I think these are the first non 'studio' shots that I have seen. Seeing it next to the 15" MBP really put it into perspective.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Man, if this thing had to option of invoking the AppleTV interface (including movie rentals...so FrontRow won't cut it) I'd have already placed my order. Maybe they'll update it with a future software update.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
How is he a fool?

without re-visiting the thread on the news section from yesterday.

1/ paying 2011 prices for 2008 tech
2/ it wasn't good value at the old price never mind now
3/ i5's can be had in the 'real world' for less money

I have no clue as to the mentality of anyone buying such a poor value under specced machine.

but as I said....

its his money to do with as he sees fit.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I'm going to have to agree as well unfortunately. The exception is I believe the old price was a pretty good deal for it's time. $100 more is ridiculous unless they at least refresh it with at least an i3 or i5 processor with an i7 BTO. We just recently gave my business partner's machine to a new hire and I was going to get him a Mini (that's what I run in addition to my 17" MBP). However once you take into account adding dual monitors and the keyboard/magic mouse that come with the 27" imac, the Mini starts looking like less of a deal. The iMac not only comes with the keyboard/mouse that I would buy with the Mini but comes with a faster processor and a 1TB HD.

without re-visiting the thread on the news section from yesterday.

1/ paying 2011 prices for 2008 tech
2/ it wasn't good value at the old price never mind now
3/ i5's can be had in the 'real world' for less money

I have no clue as to the mentality of anyone buying such a poor value under specced machine.

but as I said....

its his money to do with as he sees fit.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
I'm going to have to agree as well unfortunately. The exception is I believe the old price was a pretty good deal for it's time. $100 more is ridiculous unless they at least refresh it with at least an i3 or i5 processor with an i7 BTO. We just recently gave my business partner's machine to a new hire and I was going to get him a Mini (that's what I run in addition to my 17" MBP). However once you take into account adding dual monitors and the keyboard/magic mouse that come with the 27" imac, the Mini starts looking like less of a deal. The iMac not only comes with the keyboard/mouse that I would buy with the Mini but comes with a faster processor and a 1TB HD.

less of a deal?

its a zero deal.

Apple have priced it to NOT sell it...as in the don't want to sell it but if they must then you'll pay thru the nose for it.

its Apple's marketing team asking you to buy an iOS device.

miki66

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
IL

they kinder look good together:p

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Congrats. I pre-ordered mine from Amazon last night. I wanted to avoid sales tax from the Apple Store. Hopefully I'll get it within a week or so.

When you get yours, put up some pics!

mmomega, can you comment on heat and fan noise? I imagine the enclosure acts like a large heat sink, so its bound to get warm, but what are your thoughts? Additionally, hows the fan noise? Any comments or concerns about yours? Great pics compared to the MBP15.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I returned my 3 day mini and now trying to pick one up. No local apple stores have stock which is a joke since sf is a flagship store

RobertApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Mac Mini Re:

Well, it will do the job for me. It could be better. But with the HDMI for my Phillips 42". It will be cool. I'm not a graphic designer, Or into games, or business. Just e-mail,internet,pictures, movies, and music.

But thanks for your advice!

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Well, it will do the job for me. It could be better. But with the HDMI for my Phillips 42". It will be cool. I'm not a graphic designer, Or into games, or business. Just e-mail,internet,pictures, movies, and music.

But thanks for your advice!

It will be plenty for the majority of users. You just have to realize a lot of people you'll come across on forums like these aren't your typical average user who just does email, browses the web, and simple multimedia.

As for doing other things, the new Mini should still handle some things just fine. I personally plan on playing WoW on mine in my spare time. If you can live without having the highest of high settings you can get a lot of use from this machine.

RobertApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
It will be plenty for the majority of users. You just have to realize a lot of people you'll come across on forums like these aren't your typical average user who just does email, browses the web, and simple multimedia.

As for doing other things, the new Mini should still handle some things just fine. I personally plan on playing WoW on mine in my spare time. If you can live without having the highest of high settings you can get a lot of use from this machine.

Thanks Beaverman3001, I'm typical average user.So it should be fine for what I need to get out of it. And my mentality is OK, I hope, but who knows!!! LoL.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.