Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Congrats. I pre-ordered mine from Amazon last night. I wanted to avoid sales tax from the Apple Store. Hopefully I'll get it within a week or so.

FYI, Amazon now says 'ships' instead of pre-order. Looks like they'll start shipping tomorrow with Delivery on Friday if you get Next Day (I'm a Prime Member, so that was only $3.99 for me)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Congrats. I pre-ordered mine from Amazon last night. I wanted to avoid sales tax from the Apple Store. Hopefully I'll get it within a week or so.

When you get yours, put up some pics!

mmomega, can you comment on heat and fan noise? I imagine the enclosure acts like a large heat sink, so its bound to get warm, but what are your thoughts? Additionally, hows the fan noise? Any comments or concerns about yours? Great pics compared to the MBP15.

Sorry it took a while to get back.
Actually, I can not tell it is even on. I removed the bottom access panel and placed my ear 2-3 inches from the fan and it is a faint hum, actually quite impressed with it.

As for heat (and this should stress the fan more ) I am just loading Plex and my movies back up so I haven't really pushed it yet, I'll get back later tonight or tomorrow with info on non idle heat.
At idle, again, I can not tell it is on, actually feels cooler than ambient temp but like I said, more to come.

ApplEngineer

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Sorry it took a while to get back.
Actually, I can not tell it is even on. I removed the bottom access panel and placed my ear 2-3 inches from the fan and it is a faint hum, actually quite impressed with it.

As for heat (and this should stress the fan more ) I am just loading Plex and my movies back up so I haven't really pushed it yet, I'll get back later tonight or tomorrow with info on non idle heat.
At idle, again, I can not tell it is on, actually feels cooler than ambient temp but like I said, more to come.

Can you see the IR sensor? On my old mini you could see the IR sensor to the right of the drive, this one I can't see. You see the IR sensor on the Mini Server though. I have my mini as a htpc and use my harmony, was just curious if a smaller sensor my affect remote performance.

Thanks and congrats!

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Thanks!
$30 off and no tax, and $4 for next day shipping (with Prime). Hard to resist..

Thats exactly what I did (i'm a Prime member).

My order is 'being prepared for shipment' now. Hopefully it goes out tonight for a delivery tomorrow, or shipped tomorrow for a Friday delivery. It would be a nice little project for the weekend...

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Can you see the IR sensor? On my old mini you could see the IR sensor to the right of the drive, this one I can't see. You see the IR sensor on the Mini Server though. I have my mini as a htpc and use my harmony, was just curious if a smaller sensor my affect remote performance.

Thanks and congrats!

Yeah it's still in the far right of the dvd drive slot;) looks a bit smaller than the previous models.
Also it may just be me but it seems like the remote reception is better; I'm using a Harmony remote as well.
I actually had the mini turned 90deg away from me (while trying to find out where to mount it) and it picked up the remote signal fine.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
...also reporting back about how warm it gets (or lack there of)

I just watched a 2hr movie then immediately started a TV show, just placed my hand on top and I really can't feel any heat at all.
Absolutely nothing close to how hot an AppleTV gets. Quite surprised.

supermum

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
Didn't see it on Amazon, got a link by chance?

I posted this in another thread... it is seriously stupid that you can't search it in Amazon and have to jump through a few hoops to find it. However, no tax and $30 off MSRP is worth the hunt:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html//ref=bt_atcg_img_0/ref=bt_atcg_cta?ie=UTF8&ie=UTF8&docId=1000519741&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=03V9893NPMXANZPKMWT4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1266583902&pf_rd_i=565098

Oops.. didn't realize there was a page two to this thread (long night last night)... ignore the above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.