Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisNH

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
southern New Hampshire
Foolish to Announce Sept 9

If this product isn't going to hit the streets until 2015, it is foolish to announce it next Tuesday. Yes, everyone knows it's coming so why not talk about it. BUT, Apple runs the risk of sounding like Chicken Little and causing an underwhelming debut once it does arrive ("Oh...that's the thing they talked about months ago..yawn.")

tcm1975

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
One things for sure. MacRumors has cornered the SEO market on search term "Ugly iWatch".

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
MR got behind and stayed behind the "iSlate" name despite it being so obviously bad, and quite a few people pointing out the defects. Lesson not learned.

MR used the iSlate name in articles for less than a month until evidence of the iPad name surfaced and all further articles used the iPad name up until the official announcement. Saying "MR got behind and stayed behind the "iSlate" name" is a bit of an exaggeration.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
MacRumors first reported it just 3 weeks after the iSlate story broke.

Will Apple's Tablet Actually Be Called the iPad? New Trademarks Filed This Week.

It's interesting that Apple used the Apple's dummy name Slate Computing, LLC for the Canadian iPad trademark application.

With the revelation that Apple had acquired the iSlate.com domain and iSlate trademarks, it seemed clear to us that iSlate was the likely name for Apple's upcoming tablet computer. While we agree with skeptics that these historic actions can't prove Apple's intent to follow through, we still think they are a very clear signal.

Perhaps it lasted for only a few weeks, but this ersatz news was "broken" and continued to be asserted as a virtual certainty by MacRumors during that time, which stood by it until only days before the iPad was released. MR was faked out then and is being faked out now. That would be my take-away point.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
If its just entering engineering verification I doubt that they would have anything to show anyway. It seems like generally they show the device in action on stage and I doubt they would show off an engineering prototype (likely with extremely early software on it)

So then.... what in your opinion warranted them breaking from the tradition of showing both software & hardware at events at the Yerba Buena center & instead opting for the much larger Flint center of Jobs fame... & what do you think Apple is building behind that secret scaffolding???

I think anybody steadfastly clinging to the position that a wearable will NOT be shown is being just plain stubborn.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
umm... Engineering Verification Test Stage ??

Its a first i think we've seen these words mentioned on MR..

With all the rumors flying round, it's not surprising to wait till 2015.. Its good we now got a "claim", but i could of told you months ago for sure, but hey. no one listens to me, I'm just a "regular user"

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I hope the iWatch features a payment functionality like this...

Attachments

• iWatch.jpg
    iWatch.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 69

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
If this product isn't going to hit the streets until 2015, it is foolish to announce it next Tuesday. Yes, everyone knows it's coming so why not talk about it. BUT, Apple runs the risk of sounding like Chicken Little and causing an underwhelming debut once it does arrive ("Oh...that's the thing they talked about months ago..yawn.")

Lulz, yeah because that's EXACTLY what happened when Apple introduced iPad & iPhone months before release...
/sarcasm
Don't worry about poor Apple- I think they got it on lock. The effect will most likely be NOTHING like you describe & more like: sales from all "competing" wearables drop to roughly zero during the months leading up to the confirmed release of Apple's product as people either wait to buy that, wait to see reviews, or wait for an Android product with feature parity.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I hope the iWatch features a payment functionality like this...

Disney already has RFID payment bands (scan the band and enter a pin), likely they were devised while Jobs was still on the board. They also have tracking of those bands via long range RFID so that they know where you are in the parks (similar in theory to iBeacon I suppose) which were likely also devised when Jobs was on the board of Disney. I think its safe to say that the watch will have some type of payment functionality, however I doubt we will see it with the first generation. I could be wrong, but I would guess it would come with generation 2 which would involve a separate PIN like the disney system, and then Apple will build touch ID into the display and do away with the PIN in generation 3 (corresponding with iPhone 7 which will also incorporate touchID in the display). Those are of course just my guesses which mean nothing at all but it seems to make sense, Apple generally releases products in iterations so I doubt they would go all the way in the first generation

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
there is no "better battery". we're at the end of the line of current battery technology and physics. something new is needed but doesn't yet exist.

Better battery life = putting a bigger battery in and making the device a little thicker and heavier..

but Johnny "anorexic" Ive wont do that because he is creating "art" not a usable device for the real world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.