Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Sounds like there is not much to win for Apple on the 9th:
- iPhone6 is completely leaked
- iPayment/iWallet leaked
- iWatch is far from being ready to sell so nothing to really show

With expectations up so high, it sounds like an event with high potential to leave many people disappointed. Despite whatever engineering masterpieces Apple might present..

Despite what Samsung would have you believe, most Apple customers are not rabid fanboys. I think the media event will be a success.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I for one hope they put a better battery in the iWatch than they have the iPhone, other wise after midday its just going to be an iBracelet, unless i want to spend the day with my wrist teatherd to my PC charging like i have to now with my iPhone.

The iWatch will support inductive charging from the iPhone6... when your iWatch battery gets low, just stick your hand in your pocket with your iP6, VOILA! Charged iWatch.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Here we go again. Last week MR in effect finally admitted that they'd totally made up the iWatch name, and began calling it Apple's wearable device. But that was last week. This week they are back to "Apple's iWatch."

How can you say MacRumors made up the iWatch name? :confused:

None of us know for sure if it will be the name for the wearable product rumoured to be announced next week but it's a stretch to accuse MacRumors of inventing it when Apple has been applying for trademarks for the iWatch name since December 2012.

Apple Reportedly Begins Filing for 'iWatch' Trademarks
Apple Has Also Filed for an 'iWatch' Trademark in Japan
Apple Extends Company's Trademark to Include 'Jewelry and Watches'

BullovaAuto

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
There's a smart watch slideshow in this article: http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/tech/mobile/smartwatches/index.html?hpt=hp_t4 that has, arguably, better-looking designs.

However, even looking through those, I just don't see it. Watches are jewelry with 100+ years of design diversity deeply entrenched in all consumers. Can a singular design even from Apple move the masses to all conform to a single watch design? One might say, "But Apple did it with a phone" to which I'd offer a phone is NOT jewelry.

When I was in college, I worked in retail jewelry. When it came to selling watches, one of the main buying drivers was a unique look… NOT looking like the same watch worn by everyone else. Next time you are in a public place (airport, mall, etc) do a subjective, very localized, visual survey and note the diversity of watch designs on people's arms: every size, every shape, every color, diverse functionality, etc. Why are those people- which are not the Apple fans here- going to give up the design diversity to comply with a single design? If we think they will, the iUniform must be right on it's heels.

This is an interesting take....I think Apple's watch will look like a.....REALLY NICE WATCH (Norm McDonald voice). In order not to come across as some odd-looking, very bland thing, it will likely be offered in many colors/designs and band styles. I imagine leather band offerings, as well as stainless steel bands and black, as well. I'm sure it will be made to be mistaken for any number of brands from Burberry, to Bullova, and many many others who use the same basic template in "nice" watch designs. Look for movement-based charging (at least just for time-telling purposes) too.

LordBeelzebub

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
I would love to have an iWatch but I can't bring myself to spend what Apple will most likely charge for one of these things. I heared rumor of 3-400 bucks. I've always loved sharp looking watches but that's out of my price range. iPhones are out if most people price range too but thank God for the carrier subsidies. This will be straight out of your pocket expense.

From what I gather the watch is essentially just an extension of your phone with health related stuff in it also, so you need both devises. Total expense around a thousand bucks, that's a hefty price tag.

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
There's a smart watch slideshow in this article: http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/tech/mobile/smartwatches/index.html?hpt=hp_t4 that has, arguably, better-looking designs.

However, even looking through those, I just don't see it. Watches are jewelry with 100+ years of design diversity deeply entrenched in all consumers. Can a singular design even from Apple move the masses to all conform to a single watch design? One might say, "But Apple did it with a phone" to which I'd offer a phone is NOT jewelry.

When I was in college, I worked in retail jewelry. When it came to selling watches, one of the main buying drivers was a unique look… NOT looking like the same watch worn by everyone else. Next time you are in a public place (airport, mall, etc) do a subjective, very localized, visual survey and note the diversity of watch designs on people's arms: every size, every shape, every color, diverse functionality, etc. Why are those people- which are not the Apple fans here- going to give up the design diversity to comply with a single design? If we think they will, the iUniform must be right on it's heels.

Digital screen = interchangeable wallpaper/watch face.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

None of us know for sure if it will be the name for the wearable product rumoured to be announced next week but it's a stretch to accuse MacRumors of inventing it when Apple has been applying for trademarks for the iWatch name since December 2012.

Apparently nobody at MR remembers the "iSlate" embarrassment. According to MR, it was equally certain that this was going to be the name of what turned out to be the iPad, and for similar reasons. The iSlate name was awful on several levels, a fact that a number of readers pointed out at the time, just as some of us are pointing out how the iWatch name is equally bad.

We should know by now that Apple's trademark filings don't mean much. They probably trademark thousands of potential product names that never see the light of day. So whether this name was created solely by MR or is simply being promoted by MR is really not the point. The point is, MR should know better than to get head faked so easily.

In any event, in two articles last week, MR finally acknowledged that "iWatch" was just a placeholder name being used by the rumor media to describe a wearable tech product that nobody knows much about, and probably isn't a watch anyway. That (at long last) was the right thing to do. Now MR is right back to calling it "Apple's iWatch," without even using quotations marks to indicate that it isn't an actual product name.

voltaire2030

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
I'm guessing they will show it sept 9. Main reason with all the iPhone leaks, the watch is sure to leak pretty soon. A phone is one thing, but I think Apple wants to be the one to introduce the watch.

That is what I find strange that by now, no leak was released for the iWatch... which may suggest it may be released late 2015..

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA

I think they can categorically deny:

T-Watch or
C-Watch

----------

That is what I find strange that by now, no leak was released for the iWatch... which may suggest it may be released late 2015..

Or, they double-downed on security.

and it paid off.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
iWatch Said to Be at 'Engineering Verification Test' Stage, Components Now in...

do you guys think it's square or round?

I'm thinking that it'll be a dodecahedron. Or maybe a tesseract, that would sure be sweet.

"Can't innovate, my ass!"

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Digital screen = interchangeable wallpaper/watch face.

Changing the face of a watch doesn't exactly make it have the variety of looks to which I was referring, anymore than changing a plastic bezel from one color to another yield an entirely new Gucci watch design: http://dnok91peocsw3.cloudfront.net/inspiration/181225-612x612-1.png

Is a changing face something? Yes. But the "watch as jewelry" is the whole watch. Even the choice of square vs. rectangle vs. round would be limiting against the shape of watches that are out there. Go to Bing Images and type "watch designs" and look at the huge variety of designs that will pop up. Look at shapes, colors, styles, sizes, faces, bracelets, materials and so on. Then try to imagine the masses forgoing all of that variety to go with one singular design or one core design.

I don't want to sound overly pessimistic and I'm sure the crowd that frequents this site will be all over anything Apple would roll out. But the masses are what makes a next iPhone or next iPad really sell. Are they ready to have Apple choose a bunch of design variables for them and end up with a piece of jewelry that looks exactly or close to exactly the same as everyone else?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The iSlate name was awful on several levels, a fact that a number of readers pointed out at the time, just as some of us are pointing out how the iWatch name is equally bad.

To be fair, the iPad name also took a lot of stick from many of our members when it first surfaced. ;)
Horrible, sounds like an Apple branded feminine hygine product.

It seems like the iWatch name irritates you as much as the use of iTV irritates me. I think the MacRumors editors seem to go with the name being used in the rumour they are reporting, which is why we see so many inconsistencies in these articles.

Whatever it's called, it will no doubt upset some people as much as it pleases others. Only a week to go. :)

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Ok I think I'll trust re/code over DigiTimes.

LOL--Digitimes doesn't know their arse from their elbows! :p

----------

Whilst there's been a flood of leaked photos of the iPhone 6, for the iWatch it's merely been speculative mock-ups. For that reason I find it hard to imagine that the iWatch will be announced concurrently with the iPhone 6. It's not like Apple to announce something very fast in the distant horizon not being available soon (aside from OS updates).

Apple can announce the iWatch and demo a working pre-production unit. Steve did the same thing on-stage during the 2007 original iPhone unveiling.

----------

Seriously, just make a Flavor Flav hip hop version that consists of an entire iPhone hanging around the neck from a gaudy chain.

Here:

1) hook a gold chain up to an iPad mini
2) run your favorite clock app
3) hang it around your neck
4) be awesome

Instant Flava Flav look this Halloween! :D

----------

Function over form. Anyone that purchases an Apple primarily because it's shinny and looks pretty is a fool. Apple products primarily exist to make our lives better, not to look good. Looking good is important, but secondary.

Not always...Apple stands out as they are able to successfully integrate top-quality design and function together. This is what makes their selling proposition so unique and desirable.

It'll be very interesting considering Apple's traditional products are not considered "fashion" devices, but I trust Apple know's what they're doing. I really hope they shock us with something completely unexpected, because most of the concepts I've seen I'm just not into.

----------

It's obviously squaround.

Hexagon.

BOC

'Nuff said

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Bloomberg n recode have said iwatch will be announced next week. Who are digitimes again?!?

In any case i don't think apple can afford to waste time n delay this release. If anything before christmas.

If it is truly delayed till the 2015, then what has apple been doing for the last 9 months

Yea an "early 2015" release would be idiotic. What would they be waiting for, the nonexistent Jan-April shopping season? Thats the weakest part of the year for retail so this will be Oct-Sep only.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Well, someone's track record is about to get a bit better, and another's a bit worse. They can't all be right.

----------

Keeping a record of and reporting others' predictions =/= making predictions of one's own. (Unless you're just referring to the nature of the headlines, and in that case, carry on). :cool:

As the oracle said "A great nation will fall…"

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Yea an "early 2015" release would be idiotic. What would they be waiting for, the nonexistent Jan-April shopping season? Thats the weakest part of the year for retail so this will be Oct-Sep only.

iPad 1, 2, and 3 did very well as March releases.

In fact, you might say iPad 1 was an experimental, new product category launch. Much like the iWatch. And they used March for it...

Logistics as well, manufacturing lines are going to be maxed out on iPhones, and iPad refreshes, to even have space for iWatch. March is the most logical and realistic.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Well not exactly. Digitimes record can't get worse since you can't go lower than "discredited." Re/code is staffed by respected professional journalists so if Apple is going "off record" then it's with Re/code, not Digitimes. Also if Re/code is saying something as fact then its more likely true than if Digitimes does because that rag regularly makes stuff up just to get attributed in blogs.

Well said.

Blake10

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
USA
iPad vs iWatch trademark filing dates?

How quickly we forget history... When were the iPad trademarks filed? We know apple filed an iSlate trademark. This would be very revealing as to the name of the upcoming wearable..:D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
To be fair, the iPad name also took a lot of stick from many of our members when it first surfaced. ;)

It received lots of juvenile reactions, but it was the name Apple actually chose. MR got behind and stayed behind the "iSlate" name despite it being so obviously bad, and quite a few people pointing out the defects. Lesson not learned.

It seems like the iWatch name irritates you as much as the use of iTV irritates me. I think the MacRumors editors seem to go with the name being used in the rumour they are reporting, which is why we see so many inconsistencies in these articles.

Whatever it's called, it will no doubt upset some people as much as it pleases others. Only a week to go. :)

I haven't seen nearly as much use of "iTV" as "iWatch," but the issue is more or less the same. The shorthand probably isn't necessary, and it if is used, should be used with editorial accuracy and consistency. It wasn't happening. I thought that had all changed with two articles in the last week. Apparently not.

What's really irritating is the constant use of "iWatch" dragging all of these discussions in the wrong direction. Every one of them ends up being mainly about the merits of various timepieces. MR publishing all of those godawful "concepts" doesn't help, obviously. Does anyone really, seriously believe that Apple is developing a watch?

Blake10

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
USA
gamechanger

this product, iWatch or whatever it will be called, is going to be a gamechanger. Apple creates new markets. They create a belief that you need this. Theyve done it before, will do so again with this wearable.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
The leaks only come when a product enters mass production, because the leaks come from the factories in China. A product enters mass production a couple of months before the release, so in theory, you could have no leaks whatsoever in September and still see a release before the Christmas season.

CloaknDagger

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
I would love to have an iWatch but I can't bring myself to spend what Apple will most likely charge for one of these things. I heared rumor of 3-400 bucks. I've always loved sharp looking watches but that's out of my price range. iPhones are out if most people price range too but thank God for the carrier subsidies. This will be straight out of your pocket expense.

From what I gather the watch is essentially just an extension of your phone with health related stuff in it also, so you need both devises. Total expense around a thousand bucks, that's a hefty price tag.

I'm not sure about subsidies; I believe you are paying for the phone one way or the other, and the traditional 'On Contract' route is actually way more expensive (I believe):
Take ATT for example - purchasing an iPhone 5s 16GB:

1. Buy the phone outright
    $650.00
    $15/month for access to shared data
    $40.00 activation fee
    Total after 24 months: $1050.00
  1. 2 yr Contract (so called subsidy)
    $199.00 upfront fee.
    $40/month for access to shared data
    $40.00 activation fee
    Total after 24 months: $1199.00
  1. ATT Next Plan (installment plan..you still keep the phone)
    $27.09/mo for 24 months
    $15/mo for access to shared data
    No activation Fee
    Total after 24 months: $1010.00

It would appear that a 'Carrier Subsidy', i.e., On Contract is more expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.