Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptTCS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Bainbridge Island, WA
I have an Apple TV 3, and I'm thinking of Jailbreaking.

First, is it even possible on 3rd gen?

Next, what will it get me? Would I be able to load a Browser, Comcast App, CBS App, HBO App?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm not a power user.

jlluna

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Holly Michigan
I have 2 apple tv's 2 jailbroken and I'm going to sell one on ebay and just get an Apple TV 3. I sold my apple tv 3 on ebay a few weeks back, and i miss the clearer picture that my apple tv gave me.I rather have the 1080 P streaming. I could use xbmc on my Mac mini to.plus I have over 300 hd movies on my external hard drive for my itunes streaming.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I have 2 apple tv's 2 jailbroken and I'm going to sell one on ebay and just get an Apple TV 3. I sold my apple tv 3 on ebay a few weeks back, and i miss the clearer picture that my apple tv gave me.I rather have the 1080 P streaming. I could use xbmc on my Mac mini to.plus I have over 300 hd movies on my external hard drive for my itunes streaming.

I use the AppleTV 2 for playing my music library on my stereo, youtube, and XBMC. I have a Roku with Plex installed that I use for 1080p streaming, this gives me the best of both worlds.

captrc

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
Advantage to jailbreaking

I am new to this stuff. What does a jailbroken Apple TV add that isn't already there? I just got an Apple TV and haven't even hooked it up yet.

As I understand it, a phone will let you change providers.

I don't know much about jail breaking and items not jailbroken.

Thanks!

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Yeah well the blogspot gives it away really :)

But whats their angle, I dont understand what they have to gain from this, do they ask for payment if you click one of the links

Surveys.

jlluna

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Holly Michigan
I use the AppleTV 2 for playing my music library on my stereo, youtube, and XBMC. I have a Roku with Plex installed that I use for 1080p streaming, this gives me the best of both worlds.

Yeah I was thinking of getting a roku to. To use plex.

----------

I am new to this stuff. What does a jailbroken Apple TV add that isn't already there? I just got an Apple TV and haven't even hooked it up yet.

As I understand it, a phone will let you change providers.

I don't know much about jail breaking and items not jailbroken.

Thanks!

Well. First you need to have an Apple TV 2 if you would like to jailbreak it. The jailbreak allows you to install apps that are not available with the original stock firmware. If you jailbreak the apple tv then you could install xbmc on your Apple TV2 and you will be able to stream allot of hd movies old episodes and new for free over the Internet. Jailbreak gives you root access to your Apple TV to install different programs in it.

ntegra

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2010
I use ATV3 to AirPlay my ipad to it.

With a jailbroken ipad I have XBMC and I can stream it to my tv, I also use it to play HBOGo and Netflix.

I sometimes contemplate cancelling Comcast cable but HD live sports is keeping me in. If I can find a high quality stream of sports then I'm done with cable.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I use handbrake to encode all MKV and AVI movies/shows into MP4 format that way i can stream everything to the appletv3. Sucks there is no jailbreak but its a good work around.

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
JB on atv 2 is overrated IMO

I just download whatever I want on my mac, and stream it to my atv 2 which is not jailbroken

never understood what all the fuss was with atv jailbreaks

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I use ATV3 to AirPlay my ipad to it.

With a jailbroken ipad I have XBMC and I can stream it to my tv, I also use it to play HBOGo and Netflix.

I sometimes contemplate cancelling Comcast cable but HD live sports is keeping me in. If I can find a high quality stream of sports then I'm done with cable.

Have you used XBMC Hub Wizard? I'm not sure if it's HD quality, but I know there are numerous repos that have live sports streaming. I'm not big in to sports, but I hear one of the tech guys at work talking about using XBMC for this all the time. He walked away from Dish Network and never looked back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.