Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
This site claims to have an apple 3 jail break... can anyone confirm if this is a scam? http://www.appleunlocker.com/

Always, ALWAYS a scam. If it doesn't come from at least one dev-team member, it is a scam. I keep track on iFans.com. If a real jailbreak does come out, they will be one of the first, if not the first, to cover it.

I am new to this stuff. What does a jailbroken Apple TV add that isn't already there? I just got an Apple TV and haven't even hooked it up yet.

As I understand it, a phone will let you change providers.

I don't know much about jail breaking and items not jailbroken.

Thanks!

Jailbreaking gives root access to a device, allowing you to install apps and tweaks that work outside the normal application sandboxing that occurs on iDevices. Sandboxing makes it so that apps don't interact with the OS or other apps directly. This keeps bad apps from taking the OS down with them, but makes them very limited in what can be done. On an AppleTV jailbreaking allows you to install third party players like XBMC or Plex.

Changing carriers is unlocking. A software unlock requires a jailbreak, but that is not actually why most people jailbreak.

Last edited:

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
sorry dude but yeah only the ATV2 can be taken out of jail. The main app to get is XBMC on a jailbroken ATV.

Not entirely true. The original apple tv can be jailbroken. It's especially nice when you enable that usb jack and add external storage.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Apple would probably delete it or somthing, or sue the company

----------

I think jailbreaking counts as stealing and if that's true, Steve Jobs is a hypocryte:p:apple:

What would they delete, and what about Jailbreaking counts as stealing. I think you have a profound misunderstanding of what Jailbreaking does.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Stealing what from who?

I am in China with a ATV3, and the Chinese have been using DNS reroute for a while now. The service is geared towards Chinese population, so we get streaming from websites(Chinese equivalent of youtube, hulu, netflix, etc) and live tv channels.

The DNS thing is pretty great. So I wouldnt be able to use plexconnect, but I'd rather have streaming shows and movies.

morrison22

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2013
I have an AppleTV 3 and use Plex via OpenPlex to stream my movies/shows. Works like a charm. No jb required.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
A little off topic from the ATV3 but as far as updating and rejailbreaking my ATV2.. I'm currently on 5.1 I believe but need to go to 6.x since Netflix won't work and I can't use AirPlay anymore from y phone, so should I restore using a 6.x firmware then rejailbreak? I haven't done mine in so long that I don't know the versions that are still being signed and that are able to be jailbroken.

I know how to do it but just don't know which version to update to using iTunes. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

unib0mb

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2015
Pittsburgh
I use ATV3 to AirPlay my ipad to it.

With a jailbroken ipad I have XBMC and I can stream it to my tv, I also use it to play HBOGo and Netflix.

I sometimes contemplate cancelling Comcast cable but HD live sports is keeping me in. If I can find a high quality stream of sports then I'm done with cable.

I tried that last night on my ipaid air to my ATV3 and the lag was insane. Are you using an Ipad air 2? Cuz that A8 chip makes a big difference.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
If you have bad lag then its likely your network.
I have several ipad 3's and both the v1 of the ATV3 and the v2 ATV3 and they both airplay great via live sports such as the NFL/NHL and streaming movies from the ipad to the ATV.
The v1 ATV3 is hard wired Ethernet while the v2 ATV3 is wifi.
The only real difference between the two version of the ATV3 is the v2 supports direct airplay where no wifi network is needed.
Point being the 5x cpu within the ipad 3 airplays great to the atv3 without lag and has for several years within our setup.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I tried that last night on my ipaid air to my ATV3 and the lag was insane. Are you using an Ipad air 2? Cuz that A8 chip makes a big difference.

it's probably your router or home network setup

the processor shouldn't be the determining factor for network-related tasks

ntegra

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2010

I have the iPad with retina display, ipad 4 I believe?

There's no lag, for me anyway. I think it's dependent on your connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.