Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brooklyn360

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
i got a purple screen, no popup with successful install.
i click home, then clear the history, cache, and cookies. rebooted the ipad (32 gb 3G) and cydia app is here, isn't supposed to be 2 new apps? should i retry? is this it?

thank you

wrolla

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
noobs huh :D (that's me included before anyone takes offence)

i learnt something today :)

I'm a bonified newbie alright. Never owned anything Apple so I'm on a steep learning curve.

Can someone tell me that once the site downloads its stuff and does it's business do you need to reboot the ipad? I wasn't sure what to do next and decided to reboot it and that's where I got stuck on the apple symbol.

Also, does it do any further connectivity to the jailbreak site after it's installed? I'm wonder if that's what caused my stuck apple screen.

Any help much appreciated. I'm loathed a re-attempt until I get some answers!

stix

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Helvetic Confederation
I'm a newbie to jailbreaking, tho I have a few other ipods kicking about.

That's exactly what I did - install, reboot, Apple logo, restore :eek: Re-sync'd overnight and all is ok again, even my progress on Angry Birds has not been lost :)

stix

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Helvetic Confederation
What do you do to restore the iPad to before you jailbroke it?
Do you just connect it to iTunes and do a restore?

Had to go to DFU mode to get iTunes to recognise it, then it was just a normal restore to the backup I made before trying the JB.

Will give it another go tonight. Guess I was a bit impatient. Nice to know that the full restore works fine though.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm a bonified newbie alright. Never owned anything Apple so I'm on a steep learning curve.

Can someone tell me that once the site downloads its stuff and does it's business do you need to reboot the ipad? I wasn't sure what to do next and decided to reboot it and that's where I got stuck on the apple symbol.

Also, does it do any further connectivity to the jailbreak site after it's installed? I'm wonder if that's what caused my stuck apple screen.

Any help much appreciated. I'm loathed a re-attempt until I get some answers!

Sounds like you rebooted before the jb process was complete - when the jb completes, the iPad reboots by itself. You'll need to restore with iTunes. Next time, wait for the iPad to reboot! Once jb is complete, you don't need the site again.

Flyer729

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
2nd Jailbreak

I just finished jailbraking my ipad using jailbreakme.com. Everything went just fine except when it finishes installing backgrounder and asks for reloading springboard, my ipad reboots and hangs on the apple logo. It happened yesterday, but I was able to restore my ipad. Any ideas? Thanks,

GreggM3

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta
UPDATE :: its a hit and miss solution. I tried again, and i can replicate my success. Will just wait for an update on the JB. Sorry

Hello,

Ive been hawking these forums since last night, when i had a problem and couldnt jailbreak my ipad 3g on 3.2.1 using the jailbreakme.com site.

Ive been trying various methods all day. Finally this is what i did and it worked for me, i hope it helps you all too.

1. Switch off the ipad
2. Remove your simcard. And keep it removed.
3. Switch on your ipad
4. Go to Settings > General > Reset Network Settings
4. Go to Settings > Safari and Clear Cookies and Cache
5. in Settings > Safari > Accept cookies to ALWAYS
6. in Settings > Safari > Block Popups (Disable it : Off)
7. Go to Settings > Wifi > in your network name, click the blue arrow and set DNS to 8.8.8.8
8. DONT GO TO THE JAILBREAKME SITE. Go to http://jailbreakme.com/_/ and click on the iPad 1,1 3.2.1.pdf and amazingly it started jailbreaking.

I know these steps are redundant to many others, i tried all of them in different ways all day, but doing it in this proper sequence worked.

I know people got the blank page on the pdf file, i did too all day, but this time it worked.

Cheerz

P.S i cross posted on 3 other threads on iPad hacks section , so those having problems like me, wouldnt miss on the solution. Sorry
Worked perfect for me! Of course I don't know what jailbreaking will do benefitially for me...

wrolla

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Sounds like you rebooted before the jb process was complete - when the jb completes, the iPad reboots by itself. You'll need to restore with iTunes. Next time, wait for the iPad to reboot! Once jb is complete, you don't need the site again.

Ok, I retried yesterday and it worked beautifully.

I never received the message about cydia being on my home screen on my first attempt and I think that is what perhaps borked it.

On my second attempt, after I closed safari, for a nanosecond (I timed it), I saw the apple logo and slight screen corruption in the top left hand corner. But then it took me back to the home screen. Took me a while to track down cydia tho at it positioned it on a spare slot several pages to the right.

So, moral of the story, if at first it does not work, keep trying a day or so later on. It might be their servers are getting hammered.

Flyer729

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Ok, I retried yesterday and it worked beautifully.

I never received the message about cydia being on my home screen on my first attempt and I think that is what perhaps borked it.

On my second attempt, after I closed safari, for a nanosecond (I timed it), I saw the apple logo and slight screen corruption in the top left hand corner. But then it took me back to the home screen. Took me a while to track down cydia tho at it positioned it on a spare slot several pages to the right.

So, moral of the story, if at first it does not work, keep trying a day or so later on. It might be their servers are getting hammered.

Did you tried installing backgrounder and reloading springboard? That's where it fails for me.

stix

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Helvetic Confederation
Mine failed again last night. JB went through ok (I didn't reboot straight away). Went to Cydia and wanted to install SBSettings, and things went rapidly downhill from there. Restore, re-sync everthing again...

Is it normal for a jailbroken ipad to be so unstable? :(

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Mine failed again last night. JB went through ok (I didn't reboot straight away). Went to Cydia and wanted to install SBSettings, and things went rapidly downhill from there. Restore, re-sync everthing again...

Is it normal for a jailbroken ipad to be so unstable? :(

No, it's been pretty stable for me. Only thing is sometimes when installing some basic jb stuff, it freezes while rebooting. When that happens, you need to shut down by holding down both power and home buttons for ten seconds, then WAIT ONE FULL MINUTE and then press the power button to turn it back on. Sometimes it gets stuck at the Apple logo for a few minutes, but give it time and it eventually goes to the slide to unlock screen.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
You know, in thinking about it, I'm done jail breaking my iPad. I don't see any benefits. Now of course, my 3GS is jailbroken with MyWi but I honestly see no need, personally, to jailbreak my iPad.

That is all, LOL :)

BTW, I did jailbreak it on 3.2.1 first try, in the first day. I did nothing special. But I restored almost instantly.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Thanks guys. I will give it one last try sometime and try to be more patient :eek:

If that doesn't work then I'm with melman ;)

I jailbroke my iPad last night after getting home and doing a full restore to 3.2.1 from 3.2. I jailbroke on jailbreakme.com first time with no trouble. Took probably 15 seconds from start to finish. Only "negative" are those rogue pixels (like on the iPhone 4) when you start the thing up or respring.

Maziar

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
I successfully jailbreaked my iPad 64gb wifi,however when I reboot, I see a colored line on the top right of screen (with apple logo),and then everything is fine, does anyone know how can I get rid of that line?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I successfully jailbreaked my iPad 64gb wifi,however when I reboot, I see a colored line on the top right of screen (with apple logo),and then everything is fine, does anyone know how can I get rid of that line?

It's part of the jailbreak. Does a similar thing with the iPhone 4. Just live with it.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
The jailbreak was successful for me. But I'm getting a lot of system freezes.

I might have to do a factory restore and start over...

SonGoku v2.5

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
The jailbreak was successful for me. But I'm getting a lot of system freezes.

I might have to do a factory restore and start over...

That's what I'm beginning to notice. Has anyone here performed a Cydia update and/or downloaded something like CategoriesSB and just had the iPad hang at the Apple logo for over five minutes? What was smooth yesterday turned into me DFU'ing the device three times today. My iPhone and iPod Touch are fine, but the iPad just doesn't want to play nice with the jailbreak again.

Anyone else with similar problems or any ideas that could help?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Jailbreak is perfectly stable for me. As for the hang on respiring after installing vackgrounder I had the same thing happen just reboot the iPad and it's fine. It takes slightly longer to boot that time but after that it's back to normal and it will respiring just fine, just it hagpngs that one time for some reason

SonGoku v2.5

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
Jailbreak is perfectly stable for me. As for the hang on respiring after installing vackgrounder I had the same thing happen just reboot the iPad and it's fine. It takes slightly longer to boot that time but after that it's back to normal and it will respiring just fine, just it hagpngs that one time for some reason
You are a gentleman and a scholar! Narrowing it down, it was hanging right after I downloaded backgrounder and proswitcher alpha. This time instead of DFU'ing the device, I just tried a reboot and it came back up. Did another download and things went smoother, just like you said.

All I can offer you is my gratitude and 10 internets!

03hdfatboy

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
I just jailbreaked my 64GB 3G and now it's dead :(

Just the apple. Connect to iTunes and it sees nothing. Reboot, nothing. Any ideas?

My iPhone 4 did that too. All I had was the apple logo on the screen for 4 hrs. :eek:I was sick to my stomach.
I pressed and held the home button and plugged it in to my PC and iTunes restored it ... :D
I'll NEVER mess with it again.. well never say never LOL :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.