Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Interested to know those who have double your move goal as a challenge, do you have a specifically low move goal everyday? Mine is set to 440 Kcal. Is yours similar?
Well my sept goal was to double my move 4x.

The only way to do that was to cut the grass.

1180 is my goal

I had 3066, 3123, 2618, 2376 cal/day days to do that

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Interested to know those who have double your move goal as a challenge, do you have a specifically low move goal everyday? Mine is set to 440 Kcal. Is yours similar?
Mine is 1,000 calories but I very frequently hit over 2,000. Perhaps I should increase my goal.

Reactions: jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I've had this challenge multiple times, mine is set to 300 which is low, intentionally ... I've varied my goal many times but set it to 300 like a couple years ago.
I'm trending at 1150+ calories according to the Fitness app, so should I set it higher? no:
. I've had the "perfect month challenge" badge continuously since Feb 2016, my longest move streak is 1826 days, so tomorrow will be my 5th anniversary.
. I've stated it numerous times over the yers here, the Apple Watch has helped me to be more active, way more active, eg my calorie burn in Feb 2016 was around 500/day, in Dec 2019 it was 1150/day.
. The last time I missed an exercise ring was in Jan 2020 when I was on a 10 day trip in Germany/UK - Exercise every day, trending at 112 min/day
. Apple Watch, or better said, the algorithm that Apple uses, does NOT give you a break, ever. It cycles through a set of different goals and pending on your trend, it goes up ~ 10%. I'm not a professional athlete, nor do I want to become one, and the professionals do take breaks ... I'm 61, I do have some health issues and I feel that I'm pushing myself far enough, maybe a little too far (according to my doctor).

So, I love getting this particular challenge as it allows me to take it a little easier for the month.
I do not need Apple's algorithm to motivate me, I'm in a position now where I control my challenge.

I do love the challenges, and this monthly thread, I do beat most of them and it is great to read here about all of you and how you tackle them and do something for your health/fitness.
Sorry for some ranting here, but I'll do my part to stay fit :)
A belated Happy New Year and don't let my reasoning slow you down, you can get your challenge!

PS: If you didn't know, or haven't seen them, there're awards for doubling, tripling and quadrupling you daily move goal!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've had this challenge multiple times, mine is set to 300 which is low, intentionally ... I've varied my goal many times but set it to 300 like a couple years ago.
I'm trending at 1150+ calories according to the Fitness app, so should I set it higher? no:
. I've had the "perfect month challenge" badge continuously since Feb 2016, my longest move streak is 1826 days, so tomorrow will be my 5th anniversary.
. I've stated it numerous times over the yers here, the Apple Watch has helped me to be more active, way more active, eg my calorie burn in Feb 2016 was around 500/day, in Dec 2019 it was 1150/day.
. The last time I missed an exercise ring was in Jan 2020 when I was on a 10 day trip in Germany/UK - Exercise every day, trending at 112 min/day
. Apple Watch, or better said, the algorithm that Apple uses, does NOT give you a break, ever. It cycles through a set of different goals and pending on your trend, it goes up ~ 10%. I'm not a professional athlete, nor do I want to become one, and the professionals do take breaks ... I'm 61, I do have some health issues and I feel that I'm pushing myself far enough, maybe a little too far (according to my doctor).

So, I love getting this particular challenge as it allows me to take it a little easier for the month.
I do not need Apple's algorithm to motivate me, I'm in a position now where I control my challenge.

I do love the challenges, and this monthly thread, I do beat most of them and it is great to read here about all of you and how you tackle them and do something for your health/fitness.
A belated Happy New Year and don't let my reasoning slow you down, you can get your challenge!

PS: If you didn't know, or haven't seen them, there're awards for doubling, tripling and quadrupling you daily move goal!
Good for you. As long as what you are doing works for you that’s the main thing. The AW has definitely helped me. Wish I’d bought one years ago.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Yeah, I've doubled over 700 times, tripled 65 times, and quadrupled a grand total of 3. That was back when I was training to run a half marathon, and the final run where I completed the 13.1 miles.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017

Good for you. As long as what you are doing works for you that’s the main thing. The AW has definitely helped me. Wish I’d bought one years ago.

@Apple fanboy, @jz0309 reason is kind of why I’ve left mine at 1,000. I’ve got my own goals and routines. Fitness is so deeply ingrained in my lifestyle at this point that I don’t really need any external motivation. I use the Apple Watch mainly as a tool to track what I’m doing. Don’t get me wrong, I like and enjoy these challenges but it’s not a real source of motivation for me.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
@Apple fanboy, @jz0309 reason is kind of why I’ve left mine at 1,000. I’ve got my own goals and routines. Fitness is so deeply ingrained in my lifestyle at this point that I don’t really need any external motivation. I use the Apple Watch mainly as a tool to track what I’m doing. Don’t get me wrong, I like and enjoy these challenges but it’s not a real source of motivation for me.
Well your user name kind of implies you are well into fitness! I’m just trying to get into it more. The motivation helps. Close my rings, monitor my progress, that sort of thing. A good tool.

KeithsPuma

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2004
Well I woke up this morning (early) and its given me some freebies. Do I sleep walk ? ? maybe I can do my 257mins a day - NOT

Attachments

• IMG_1433.PNG
    IMG_1433.PNG
    87.8 KB · Views: 79

Bballrob

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2017
Alaska
Ok, I have to admit I wasn’t too excited to see my January challenge. 2,880 exercise minutes. I think it said that was 92 per day.

Normally this wouldn’t be a challenge in January, as I referee high school basketball and this is the peak of the season. But with covid, I have yet to work a single game. Couple that with just having moved 4,000 miles away snd now having to find a new referees association to sign up with, and that makes it that much more challenging.

One thing working in my favor - I just started a new job, and one thing they give us is 3 hours per week of paid exercise time. Gotta love it.

For someone who preaches to all of you to “embrace the challenge” when you come in here whining about how hard your current task is, I ain’t about to start complaining. I’m going for it!!

Reactions: iAssimilated

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ok, I have to admit I wasn’t too excited to see my January challenge. 2,880 exercise minutes. I think it said that was 92 per day.

Normally this wouldn’t be a challenge in January, as I referee high school basketball and this is the peak of the season. But with covid, I have yet to work a single game. Couple that with just having moved 4,000 miles away snd now having to find a new referees association to sign up with, and that makes it that much more challenging.

One thing working in my favor - I just started a new job, and one thing they give us is 3 hours per week of paid exercise time. Gotta love it.

For someone who preaches to all of you to “embrace the challenge” when you come in here whining about how hard your current task is, I ain’t about to start complaining. I’m going for it!!
3 hours paid exercising? My firm gives me 3 hours a day unpaid overtime!

• Haha
Reactions: LeeW

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Um.... I just got an award for “going 14.5 miles” in the month of January from my Apple Watch Series 3. I have literally been sitting in the house every day... how did this happen? Is there something wrong with my watch’s step tracker?

It says I walked 3 miles today and took 6,864 steps... I’ve been sitting down watching the chaos on TV all day. Does the watch use heart rate to determine steps? So confused.

Last edited:

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Um.... I just got an award for “going 14.5 miles” in the month of January from my Apple Watch Series 3.
Maybe started an activity by mistake or when you were in the car, I have done that one, did a 10-mile walk in minutes :)

Check the fitness app and see if it has recorded something you didn't do. It can be deleted.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Um.... I just got an award for “going 14.5 miles” in the month of January from my Apple Watch Series 3. I have literally been sitting in the house every day... how did this happen? Is there something wrong with my watch’s step tracker?
Maybe started an activity by mistake or when you were in the car, I have done that one, did a 10-mile walk in minutes :)

Check the fitness app and see if it has recorded something you didn't do. It can be deleted.
Nope. Haven’t been in the car. Sitting in the house since New Year’s. I don’t understand how it’s recording anything. It says I walked 6,864 steps and 3 miles today. I did no such thing. I don’t even open my fitness app. Don’t understand where the disconnect is. It keeps saying I’ve met my move goal most days, too, when I haven’t even had my watch on some days and others I definitely did not move much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.