Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lisamo

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2020
I think I have found the problem I cannot find javaforosx.dmg I can only find javaforosx.pkg

Not sure where the .dmg file will be???
hello. you have to download it beforehand and when the script asks you to select the script while running, you select the installation file. it worked for me

PDG1111

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
Here is a simpler way, an AppleScript that removes the installation limits from Java for macOS 2017-001.
Code:
set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select javaforosx.dmg:" of type {"dmg"}
do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Java\\ for\\ macOS\\ 2017-001/JavaForOSX.pkg ~/tmp"
do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Java\\ for\\ macOS\\ 2017-001/"
do shell script "sed -i '' 's/return false/return true/g' ~/tmp/Distribution"
do shell script "pkgutil --flatten ~/tmp ~/Desktop/Java.pkg"
do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp"
display dialog "Modified Java.pkg saved on desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
The script asks you to select the dmg file, opens the file, unpacks JavaForOSX.pkg, modifies the Distribution file and saves a new pkg file on Desktop, Java.pkg, that can be installed on Catalina.

Hi, i'm having the same problem as everyone else but do not understand these code answers.

Last edited:

PcNerd

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2020
I tried this but I succeeded, but I cannot open the program
11ba32aa-19b1-47e6-9b35-9851b7682370.png

emiliosic

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Wakefield MA
Here's how I did it:
1. Download Java 6 from Apple:
2. Download Pacifist:
(Worth the money, specially if you're doing work with this, but works for free).
4. Open the Java package with Pacifist and install it. Don't mind the checksum errors.

It should just work.
It will be installed on /JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk
If you need to switch from other versions of Java, use /usr/libexec/java_home -v 1.6

maccaskaty

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2020
Here is a simpler way, an AppleScript that removes the installation limits from Java for macOS 2017-001.
Code:
set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select javaforosx.dmg:" of type {"dmg"}
do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Java\\ for\\ macOS\\ 2017-001/JavaForOSX.pkg ~/tmp"
do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Java\\ for\\ macOS\\ 2017-001/"
do shell script "sed -i '' 's/return false/return true/g' ~/tmp/Distribution"
do shell script "pkgutil --flatten ~/tmp ~/Desktop/Java.pkg"
do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp"
display dialog "Modified Java.pkg saved on desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
The script asks you to select the dmg file, opens the file, unpacks JavaForOSX.pkg, modifies the Distribution file and saves a new pkg file on Desktop, Java.pkg, that can be installed on Catalina.
I am still unable to get the script editor running. Instead, I receive this error message.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 4.57.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 4.57.31 PM.png
    737 KB · Views: 264

maccaskaty

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2020
Rename or delete the folder /Users/wxy/tmp
sorry for sounding like a noob... but is it possible for you to give me step by step directions? because I went to finder, but there isn't any folder called Users? I search for tmp in my folder but there is nothing? (Not sure if I am even doing the right thing).

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Reactions: maccaskaty

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I am not able to find anything even after typing in the pathname. What should I do now? I really need this software for my exam.
Run this script in the Script editor app, it will delete the tmp folder
Code:
do shell script "rm -r ~/tmp"

Reactions: maccaskaty

maccaskaty

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2020
Run this script in the Script editor app, it will delete the tmp folder
Code:
do shell script "rm -r ~/tmp"
it worked, it was able to create a ModifiedJava6Install.pkg!!! but when I tried to open the software called ArgoUML, it says the application is damaged and can't be opened. Any idea on what I should do?
Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 9.58.20 PM.png

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
it worked, it was able to create a ModifiedJava6Install.pkg!!! but when I tried to open the software called ArgoUML, it says the application is damaged and can't be opened. Any idea on what I should do?
I just tested that app and it's starting. Instead of double-click, try to right-click it and select Open from the menu.

maccaskaty

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2020
I tried to right click and select Open from the menu but I still get the same error message. Is there anyway I can contact you to get a more direct and faster help? Anyway I just updated my MacBook software, hoping that it will work, but no luck :(

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 11.55.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 11.55.50 PM.png
    62.4 KB · Views: 183

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I tried to right click and select Open from the menu but I still get the same error message. Is there anyway I can contact you to get a more direct and faster help? Anyway I just updated my MacBook software, hoping that it will work, but no luck :(
I don't know how I could help you, I downloaded ArgoUML 0.34 (Mac) from here http://argouml.tigris.org , unzipped the ArgoUML-0.34.app.tar.gz file and moved ArgoUML.app into Applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.