Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
This whole lawsuit between apple and moto(now google owned) is complete bs and the judge should of ruled for apple a long time ago.

The judge ruled on the lawsuit you are thinking about and threw the whole thing out. The new lawsuit is completely new and about a different set of issues. Legally speaking at least.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Sounds like you bought all the crap android phones and non of the good ones. You only have yourself to blame.

Also apple wasn't first. Smartphones had been about for a long time and the first iphone sucked as bad as the rest at the time. You could barely make a call on it. So stop talking crap

Yea, it sucked so much Samsung wrote 132 pages showing where the iPhone was better ... to the point of putting Samsung in "crisis of design mode" ... and they raced to copy it.

Such crap those iPhone's are :rolleyes:

Aug 5, 2012
Yea, I had to blow some smoke off, really mad about the whole apple vs samsung vs crap...it ruins innovation

You're really mad about it?!... Dont you think its a bit sad how technology can upset you so much?

Bro, step outside and get some fresh air

albertc

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
Austin, TX
Hi-Res screens is something that is already par for course on touchscreen slab phones. 960x640 was innovative, never had there been so many pixels packed into a small handheld screen...so much so that you could no longer discern them. It also directly affected the general UX. 1280x800 is just a natural evolution of that.

In other words the move to 1080p HD from SD was innovative. The move to 4K res is just more pixel packing...a natural evolution

Thats my opinion anyway.

The nexus one has a 800X480 screen. The retina display was just "a natural evolution of that".

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
just like they are doing with the rMBP now, bringing high resolution displays to the masses, they package them well. But the HTC Desire didn't sell as many as the iPhone 4 now did it?

Just because it was first and sold ok doesn't mean it marketed the technology making it household names does it?

I know you want <anything android> to be better than Apple. :)

I guess I got confused by your redefining of the phrase "En masse".

en masse
noun
Selling as well as the iPhone 4.

It's not about besting Apple or coming first, it's all about the market trends that all companies (Apple, Motorola, Nokia, HTC) were moving towards anyway.

You still didn't rectify your stance on that consumer friendly display Apple sourced from Sharp/Samsung or LG. Any further explanation on how those displays are more any more consumer friendly than others? ;)

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
The """"retina display"""" wasn't an evolution. That resolution came about because iOS can't scale and therefore had to just quadruple its resolution.

no other device in history has used such a stupid resolution

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yea, it sucked so much Samsung wrote 132 pages showing where the iPhone was better ... to the point of putting Samsung in "crisis of design mode" ... and they raced to copy it.

Such crap those iPhone's are :rolleyes:

They compared their features to the iPhones and wanted theirs to be as good if not better is what the document contained. This is how business works, if you want to be competitive you compete with the best. You think apple doesn't compare their features versus the competition when designing a product?

It's moot anyway, apple using documents that compared the samsung S1 to the iPhone? Apple may still use the same features but Samsung certainly doesn't. They have found much better ways of doing things since the long tooth S1.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This thread is silly. They are getting sued for patent infringement like Apple has done a hundred times in the past. The OP's defense is, Apple has always had a nice smartphone?

That's a bad defense and false. The first iPhone sucked compared to the competition, it was just marketed better to a younger and broader market.

Many claim that android is popular because it's cheap or junk etc etc. IMO, that IS something they did copy from Apple. Poor mans smartphone.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
But they never really sold en-mass which the iPhone did, therefore popularising high resolution displays with the public. They never really have been the first at anything, however they waited and implemented the new technologies RIGHT and made them consumer friendly.

There's nothing in the iPhone's 4 retina display that is more "consumer friendly" than on previous phones. Again, you have plenty of things Apple did to spur movements in the smartphone industry, why cling to one of the things they didn't and pretend they did ?

Just face the truth : high resolution phone displays is not something Apple spurred. Apple just followed the growing trend in the smartphone industry. Android wasn't even the first in this case, so I don't know why you're making this into a polarized debate.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
This thread is silly. They are getting sued for patent infringement like Apple has done a hundred times in the past. The OP's defense is, Apple has always had a nice smartphone?

That's a bad defense and false. The first iPhone sucked compared to the competition, it was just marketed better to a younger and broader market.

Many claim that android is popular because it's cheap or junk etc etc. IMO, that IS something they did copy from Apple. Poor mans smartphone.
Reminded me of my 1st iPhone 2G in 07 vs my Cingular 8525 (HTC TyTn) bought a few months before, 8525 was far far better especially for business, was 3G as well so even browsing was much better. About the only thing you could do with the iPhone was make calls and download some apps (which all pretty much sucked in 1st gen form).

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hahal. Sure. VERY innovative. The Evo4G was released June 4th with a 4.3"non-IPS 480x800 res screen...even though the original gimmick resolution came out earlier in Jan of the same.

iPhone merely managed a slow evolution over the next 20 days by coming out with a 960x640 IPS 3.5" display on June 24th.

Last edited:

albertc

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
Austin, TX
lol. Sure. It was released 20 whole days before the iPhone 4...even though the original gimmick resolution came out in Jan. VERY innovative.
Let me see if I have this right,

Android manufactures increase resolution and its a gimmick.
Apple increases resolution and its innovative.
Android manufactures increase resolution to 720p and its pixel packing?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Per the definition of innovate, making the screen better is an innovation. However not much of one IMO, the same could be said about making the screen bigger. Or saying the nexus one uses a screen that is higher electrically efficient, thus an innovation.

Innovate is a very generic term I certainly wouldn't use it as a compliment.

Apple coined the term retina then set the standards for it. Then it's compared. Of course apple had the first retina screen! They made the word! Derrhhh. When the iPad 2 was released there were Android tablets with bigger AND higher ppi screens, Apples not going to coin a term for a screen that's already beat.

Just a silly argument this is turning into.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Let me see if I have this right,

Android manufactures increase resolution and its a gimmick.
Apple increases resolution and its innovative.
Android manufactures increase resolution to 720p and its pixel packing?

-Pen Tile matrix arrangement means you're not actually getting a 800x480
-Apple quadruples its original resolution within the same screen size. No Pen Tile arrangement.
-720p is laudable. If you want to count as innovative then be my guest. But to me its not as remarkable. But thats just me.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Hahal. Sure. VERY innovative. The Evo4G was released June 4th with a 4.3"non-IPS 480x800 res screen...even though the original gimmick resolution came out earlier in Jan of the same.

iPhone merely managed a slow evolution over the next 20 days by coming out with a 960x640 IPS 3.5" display on June 24th.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=707&c=toshiba_portege_g900

Toshiba Protege G900
Display
Display+Type: color transflective TFT , 65536 scales
Display_Diagonal: 3 "
Display_Resolution: 800 x 480

316 PPI... the kicker :

Release-Date: June, 2007

Yep, this is a pre-original-iPhone model. The industry trends were already there for moving to these high resolution displays, as far back as before the original iPhone.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Then fair point but it means the Nexus One or the Evo 4G he cited are non-arguments.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
KnightWRX has the earliest example of a high-res display I can find but here are some more "not" on Android:

Nokia N900, released November 2009. Maemo/Meego
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n900-2917.php
Toshiba TG01, released June 2009. Windows Mobile
http://www.gsmarena.com/toshiba_tg01-2662.php
Sasmung SWD-M100, August 2009 Windows Mobile
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/samsung-mondi-swd-m100/4505-3126_7-33573789.html
Sasmung Wave, released April 2010. Bada
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s8500_wave-3146.php

High-res displays were already here, regardless of Android or iOS.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
-Pen Tile matrix arrangement means you're not actually getting a 800x480

Pentile was only used on the original Nexus One or the Super AMOLED HTC Desire. The SLCD variant of the HTC Desire had the full RGB display.

And sub pixel arrangement has nothing to do with display resolution. All phones that didn't use AMOLED screens had full RGB sub pixel arrangement, and that's quite a few outside of the iPhone.

-Apple quadruples its original resolution within the same screen size. No Pen Tile arrangement.

Pentile arrangement and Apple's display resolution have nothing to do with one another. Apple could have used Pentile sub pixel arrangement, given you the same 960x640 resolution on an AMOLED screen made by Samsung. They chose to stick with LCD.

-720p is laudable. If you want to count as innovative then be my guest. But to me its not as remarkable. But thats just me.

Same with Apple's "Retina" display. It's just an evolution towards high resolution phones that have been on-going for years.

Guys, there's so many things the iPhone brought to the industry, why even cling to this ridiculous point that is easily proven false ?

----------

KnightWRX has the earliest example of a high-res display I can find but here are some more "not" on Android:

Neo 1973, running OpenMoko, announced in 2006, finally shipped in July 2007, 285 PPI screen. Not as good as the Toshiba Protege G900 and though announced earlier, shipped a month later.

A lot of the high resolution phones early on seem to be Windows Mobile 6.x devices.

----------

High-res displays were already here, regardless of Android or iOS.

Exactly, dunno why some insist on saying "Apple spurred" anything here. If anything, there were rumors Apple was bringing the Retina display with the 3GS because of the industry trends and a lot of us were disappointed when the 3GS had the same 480x320 resolution as the 3G and original iPhone.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Aye. Silly argument. 2GB of RAM and 1280x720 is innovative. 960x480 is an evolution of 800x480.

As you were.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.