Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1984power

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Greetings everyone,

Upon using my new Jet Black 7 Plus I have come to notice these reflections/patterns on its polished bezel.
I can only see them under certain lightning. The attached photo was taken with my desk lamp on, but if I use the phone near a window the reflections are not visible.

From what I know the phone was in a case since it came out of the box. Its back is absolutely pristine, no scratches whatsoever. I've tried cleaning the bezel and these still appear in the conditions I formerly stated.

Are they reflecting what's above the phone? Has anyone seen these on their Jet Black iPhone?
(Zooming in on the photo helps. I can guarantee you the bezel is flat, they're not kinks or dents.)

Best regards,
1984power

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 345

1984power

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
My iPhone's receipt is from October 2016. Entering the serial number in a few websites gives no date or week of manufacture info.

Should I take it to Apple to be replaced?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Did you buy it used (if the receipt was from October 2016)?

Does it have AppleCare+?

If it is out of warranty the chances of Apple doing anything are small.

To clarify, it isn't defective in that Apple never really acknowledged it as an issue, so there will be loads of iPhones out there just like it. You could get a replacement and it be the same. I've actually seen it on a couple of iPhone X so it is still happening - it's just more visible due to the jet black finish.

But of course there's nothing stopping you from taking it into an Apple store and seeing what they say.

1984power

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
I did buy it used. In my country Apple gives a 2 year warranty like everyone else (the law forces them to), so it's still in warranty.

I'm just wondering if it's worth it... What other issues can these phones have?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I did buy it used. In my country Apple gives a 2 year warranty like everyone else (the law forces them to), so it's still in warranty.

I'm just wondering if it's worth it... What other issues can these phones have?
I see. If you're happy with it in other ways I really wouldn't bother personally because the hassle isn't worth it, and the replacement could be the same.

fitcious

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2014
I have this on my JB 7+- it’s been in case since day 1. I see it near the antenna lines. I think it might also attribute to the case you’re using. Any, I mean any, specks of dirt or rocks or what not can live in the crevices of the case as you use it normally- and those specks might be rubbing inside your case against the phone.

Like someone else said, it’s more noticeable on JB phones.

If everything else on the phone is working correctly then My suggestion is to live with it and not worth the trouble to go through Apple. You might get replacement that might have other potential issues. At least now you don’t have to completely baby it since it has those markings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.