Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iigsie

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
Jailbreak it, you babies.

Can't be a cheapskate and complain about < 10 minute process, too.

Oh yeah, it gives you multitasking too.

If you trust people who can't even name themselves with the security of your main phone you are a fool.

Keeping my 3g on older software purely for jailbreaking, and buying the new 4th gen as a main phone does sound appealing as I really want an iPad, but it has to tether.

It is not about being cheap, it is principle.

azboricua

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
Arizona
I don't get why people are surprised about this. If apple lets the iPad and the iPhone tether it's like saying FU to AT&T and their "You must get a separate data plan". Apple's stance is, "If you find a way to do it, good for you, BUT we are not providing you with the method or the resources". Its going to get Jailbroken no matter how hard Apple tries. Just like Google got hacked.

CanonicalKoi

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
Where the trilobites roam free.
When I ask a question, I prefer a direct answer. Which do you like better:

"Why, good gracious!!! We never even thought of doing that! What an absolutely brilliant idea and I will trot it right down to the developers and see what they can come up with. Thanks ever so much!" which translates as, "What an ass." (sends original message to trash after responding)

"Our developers looked at that--they really, really did. We sent it over to marketing and they ran the numbers. After performing 247 online surveys encompassing students, professionals and a group of mimes in Oshkosh, we determined that development vs cost vs benefit-to-the-customer-wise it just wasn't feasible. But we'll keep it and your most excellent suggestion in mind for our next product." which translates as, "What an ass." (sends original message to trash after responding)

"No." which translates as, "no".

I'll take the direct answer over sunshine, rainbows, dancing unicorns and smoke being blown up my butt any day. More comfy, for one thing and less waste of both my time and the other party's time.

azboricua

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
Arizona
When I ask a question, I prefer a direct answer. Which do you like better:

"Why, good gracious!!! We never even thought of doing that! What an absolutely brilliant idea and I will trot it right down to the developers and see what they can come up with. Thanks ever so much!" which translates as, "What an ass." (sends original message to trash after responding)

"Our developers looked at that--they really, really did. We sent it over to marketing and they ran the numbers. After performing 247 online surveys encompassing students, professionals and a group of mimes in Oshkosh, we determined that development vs cost vs benefit-to-the-customer-wise it just wasn't feasible. But we'll keep it and your most excellent suggestion in mind for our next product." which translates as, "What an ass." (sends original message to trash after responding)

"No." which translates as, "no".

I'll take the direct answer over sunshine, rainbows, dancing unicorns and smoke being blown up my butt any day. More comfy, for one thing and less waste of both my time and the other party's time.

Very true. I think people are just pissed the answer is not "YES"

iigsie

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
I don't get why people are surprised about this. If apple lets the iPad and the iPhone tether it's like saying FU to AT&T and their "You must get a separate data plan". Apple's stance is, "If you find a way to do it, good for you, BUT we are not providing you with the method or the resources". Its going to get Jailbroken no matter how hard Apple tries. Just like Google got hacked.

iPhone has sanctioned tethering outside the US. I get my home broadband for free if I pay for tethering at £9.95 a month for 3GB. That is all I need. Other countries exist you know besides America. I also fail to see why AT&T cannot implement a low cap on tethering if they can implement mobile broadband.

Maybe the iPad will support tethering with those carriers that allow it? There is no reason why it shouldn't. Job's supposed reply to someone certainly hints at it.

Saying tethering would cripple the 3g model sales is ludicrous. If I cannot tether in some way, even if that means keeping my old iPhone solely for tethering with the SIM from the next model I will not be buying an iPad. Not allowing tethering where it is already officially allowed is ridiculous.

iigsie

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
Very true. I think people are just pissed the answer is not "YES"

It makes sense that the answer would be NO in the US, not elsewhere.

o2 say it is down to Apple to implement, and that a tethering plan would be required to use such a feature with an o2 iPhone when I asked them earlier. Apple store says they do not comment on future products. I guess we will have to wait and see.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
This is a *lame* reason not to jailbreak ....

Ultimately, you've ALWAYS got to trust someone. I mean, let's be honest here. The iPhones are assembled in factories in China, using many foreign components. Are you 100% positive all of those chips in your iPhone are not counterfeit or rigged with some sort of "back door" the right person could exploit?

There's a big issue right now with the U.S. government, where they installed quite a few Cisco routers that turned out to have counterfeit parts in them. If they can't even get a known secure product, how do you know your non-jailbroken, consumer-grade iPhone is?

At the end of the day, I look at the risk / benefit ratio of taking different avenues, and the jailbreakers offer me with what seems to be a far better deal. Can I trust the "nameless" people who write that code? Obviously not 100%, but I *do* have the power of the "community" backing me up. (EG. If someone figures out they're being less than honest with one of their programs, there's a good chance word will leak out on one of the many forums set up to discuss those topics.) On top of that, I see a lot of evidence that the folks developing apps for jailbroken iPhones are acting on principles of their own. They want an avenue to sell their code on their OWN terms, instead of only after agreeing to Apple's terms.

If you trust people who can't even name themselves with the security of your main phone you are a fool.

Keeping my 3g on older software purely for jailbreaking, and buying the new 4th gen as a main phone does sound appealing as I really want an iPad, but it has to tether.

iigsie

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
What you talk about is a completely different issue to what you are implying. That was a company selling counterfeit Cisco gear as far as I know. I trust Apple to sell me good secure products. They will not do what that company did. Maybe it's conceivable that an uneducated person may buy a counterfeit iPhone which appears like a good deal. If a legit carrier sourced iPhones form anyone other than Apple they would get sued beyond belief.

Ultimately, you've ALWAYS got to trust someone. I mean, let's be honest here. The iPhones are assembled in factories in China, using many foreign components. Are you 100% positive all of those chips in your iPhone are not counterfeit or rigged with some sort of "back door" the right person could exploit?

There's a big issue right now with the U.S. government, where they installed quite a few Cisco routers that turned out to have counterfeit parts in them. If they can't even get a known secure product, how do you know your non-jailbroken, consumer-grade iPhone is?

At the end of the day, I look at the risk / benefit ratio of taking different avenues, and the jailbreakers offer me with what seems to be a far better deal. Can I trust the "nameless" people who write that code? Obviously not 100%, but I *do* have the power of the "community" backing me up. (EG. If someone figures out they're being less than honest with one of their programs, there's a good chance word will leak out on one of the many forums set up to discuss those topics.) On top of that, I see a lot of evidence that the folks developing apps for jailbroken iPhones are acting on principles of their own. They want an avenue to sell their code on their OWN terms, instead of only after agreeing to Apple's terms.

Steel17

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
I'm infuriated to no end about the lack of tethering between these two devices. An Iphone and Ipad user has to pay $720 A YEAR to keep both devices connected. I don't think forum rants are going to change anything so how about something a little different?

Yesterday I was researching an impending Time Capsule failure and happened upon the Time Capsule Memorial Registry. I'm not going to rehash it but you can google it if you're not familiar.

It worked and Apple quietly started replacing out of warranty Time Capsules that had failed.

The moral of the story..... Get enough people together and a little bit of coverage in the tech world and Apple will respond.

So why not do this with Apple and ATT's excessive fees for mobile devices. I'm not an HTML expert but it can't be all that hard to set up a simple registry. People sign the registry if they:

1. Are not buying an Ipad because they pay for data on an Iphone
2. Are getting rid of the Iphone for the Ipad
3. Want both but will not pay for data on two devices

If I were to buy the Ipad today I'd be paying for three data plans (home, Ipad and Iphone) all of which claim to be unlimited. At $120 a month that's $1440 A YEAR FOR CONNECTIVITY and I'm a light user. With 4g gaining momentum everyday the day is coming where we pay for one plan that covers all our data needs in home and on the move. ATT and Apple are trying to delay this progression by limiting compatibility within THEIR OWN DEVICES.

Nobody is going to listen to me but get a couple hundred thousand people organized on the same website and we could probably push this through (at the very least a discount for having data on two devices).

Anybody agree?

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010

Thanks for your uninformed reply. Please tell us what security fixes there are in 3.1.3 that aren't in 3.1.2.

Steve J hasn't even upgraded.

No sympathy for you, man. Do it, or pay $30 extra a month. Your choice. Is your foil hat worth $480 a year? That's like giving away an Ipad, ever year - for your so called security - which doesn't exist.

It not your principle. Stop drinking the anti-jb kool aid.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I'm infuriated to no end about the lack of tethering between these two devices. An Iphone and Ipad user has to pay $720 A YEAR to keep both devices connected. I don't think forum rants are going to change anything so how about something a little different?

Yesterday I was researching an impending Time Capsule failure and happened upon the Time Capsule Memorial Registry. I'm not going to rehash it but you can google it if you're not familiar.

It worked and Apple quietly started replacing out of warranty Time Capsules that had failed.

The moral of the story..... Get enough people together and a little bit of coverage in the tech world and Apple will respond.

So why not do this with Apple and ATT's excessive fees for mobile devices. I'm not an HTML expert but it can't be all that hard to set up a simple registry. People sign the registry if they:

1. Are not buying an Ipad because they pay for data on an Iphone
2. Are getting rid of the Iphone for the Ipad
3. Want both but will not pay for data on two devices

If I were to buy the Ipad today I'd be paying for three data plans (home, Ipad and Iphone) all of which claim to be unlimited. At $120 a month that's $1440 A YEAR FOR CONNECTIVITY and I'm a light user. With 4g gaining momentum everyday the day is coming where we pay for one plan that covers all our data needs in home and on the move. ATT and Apple are trying to delay this progression by limiting compatibility within THEIR OWN DEVICES.

Nobody is going to listen to me but get a couple hundred thousand people organized on the same website and we could probably push this through (at the very least a discount for having data on two devices).

Anybody agree?

I agree it's complete BS... however they (AT&T) don't have to react as if we own the iPhone and chose to buy an iPad they are the ONLY option to purchase a data plan from. (Aside form Jailbreaking your iPhone)

I don't pretend to know the cost of delivering data via wireless, but my guess is they are milking this type of situation for all they can, while they can. I hope someday to be able to pay one carrier for a LTE connection that works for both home and mobile, but until then were rather hosed. I guess someone has to pay for the build out, I just refuse to pay for a 2nd wireless data plan so Wifi iPad for me. 3g speed doesn't come close to justifying paying for yet another plan.

As far as a petition, I don't think Apple could do much other than what they already have done in setting up "no contract" data accessibility plans. This is a pretty huge step away from the traditional data plans for every carrier out there, at least in the US. Asking them to simply piggy back on iPad data to the already overwhelmed iPhone data usage probably isn't going to happen no matter how many thousands of people signed up to complain.

Last thought to add, if I am going to pay anyone an additional $30 (or $60)/month for data, I'll go outside of AT&T to either VZW or Sprints Wimax Mifi devices and have the ability to tether 5 devices. I won't give AT&T any additional funds for an already overloaded network.

Steel17

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
Just jb and save money already. All this whining...

Did you know my unlimited tmo data plan on my iPhone 2g is $4.99/month?

I plan on it but I'm at 3.1.3 on a forced update so I'm SOL right now. The problem with the jailbreak is you're at the mercy of Apple's security updates so with one bad mouse click you lose miwi and connectivity for your Ipad.

All these stupid games to get one mobile connectivity plan to cover two devices...

wclyffe

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2009
Through all the posts on this thread has anyone discovered a way that Netshare might be used to tether the iPad to the iPhone? I realize only a few people have the program, but I'm just curious if anyone actually figured out how to do it. Thanks.

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
I plan on it but I'm at 3.1.3 on a forced update so I'm SOL right now. The problem with the jailbreak is you're at the mercy of Apple's security updates so with one bad mouse click you lose miwi and connectivity for your Ipad.

All these stupid games to get one mobile connectivity plan to cover two devices...

I feel your pain, man...

Geohotz has announced an untethered jailbreak, but he's holding off most likely for iPad and iPhone 4G release...

Good luck to you, and hope you join us on the dark side soon :)

My 2g is immune to Apple anti-jb efforts of course ;)

HZLA

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
In theory, a person can still "tether" by broadcasting a wifi signal from a jail broken iphone 3G using a third party app called MyWi and then the iPad would be able to pick up on the signal.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I am hoping an iPad or iPhone 4G can allow nearby users to tag along the signal over wifi. That way a single 3G iPad can allow an iPod Touch, a MacBook and a wifi iPad to interact it in hotspot mode. Of course your data plan has usage limits according to your fees and bandwidth is constrained by signal issues, but simply for the ability to achieve a mission critical internet connection, that is a needed feature. Even if Apple made it inconvenient like having to reconnect every 30-60 minutes, or pay a one time access fee per device or some such.

I know they are bandwidth concerned, but functional features should not be entirely disabled since the technology is built-in.

I would also like to see Apple or a 3rd party enable mesh networking so an internet connected device can hand off wifi signals to a mission critical device hundreds or thousands of feet away, so long as there are intermediate devices all along the way.

Rocketman

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
In theory, a person can still "tether" by broadcasting a wifi signal from a jail broken iphone 3G using a third party app called MyWi and then the iPad would be able to pick up on the signal.

This will be the first thing I try out of the box and many others as well...Im sure since I live in Central time zone I will have an answer before I try. However my kiddos Itouch connects via my iphone MyWI without a glitch so already know its going to work...>Guy should have asked so with a jailbroken phone can you tether the Ipad my Jobs....Answer then would have been MAYBE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.