Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
jailbreaking doesnt cause a loss of stable platform. it actually can make it more stable. ex. i remember back on 2.x there was a bug. i installed something from cydia and bam fixed.

Yeah that doesn't really prove your attempted point.

Saying jailbreaking doesn't open up the device to a potential loss of stability is being dishonest.

Jezper

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
How can this be a surprise to anyone? If they allowed tethering it would kill the sales of the 3G model.

It's not a surprise. The question is why Apple is releasing two models of a product and none of them play nice with the iPhone. If the iPad is supposed to kill all tablets and netbooks, it SHOULD be able to do a simple task of tehtering, like every other tablet and netbook can.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It's not a surprise. The question is why Apple is releasing two models of a product and none of them play nice with the iPhone. If the iPad is supposed to kill all tablets and netbooks, it SHOULD be able to do a simple task of tehtering, like every other tablet and netbook can.

That's not the aim of the iPhone....

Jezper

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
That's not the aim of the iPhone....

The iPhone already supports tethering and it works great, with any PC or Mac. My question to Steve, and what I'm arguing here is that the iPad should be able to tether thru the iPhone.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The iPhone already supports tethering and it works great, with any PC or Mac. My question to Steve, and what I'm arguing here is that the iPad should be able to tether thru the iPhone.

Yea, but AT&T sure as hell isn't going to allow it, just like they haven't for the iphone even though they promised "it's on the way".

Other carriers in other countries do it already, this is purely on AT&T.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Yea, but AT&T sure as hell isn't going to allow it, just like they haven't for the iphone even though they promised "it's on the way".

If you think about it, the fact that they've promised it's coming actually makes it far more likely that they will allow some form of tethering in the not too distant future. Stay tuned.

foreignconcepts

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2008
My two (very large) cents:

Jailbreaking and unlocking of the iPad would be a good thing, in my opinion. I would happily go with a 3G model, but where on any given year I can be spending equal amounts of time in the US and Canada, being able to swap out SIM Cards like I do with my jailbroken iPhone would ideally make me happy as a clam.

With regards to tethering and iPhone/iPad Carriers: As you may have figured out from reading the last paragraph, I have two different cell phone plans in two different countries. You would be amazed that the different mentalities between the two when it comes to offering customers wireless service. AT&T, hailing from the land of the free, advertises "unlimited" data for $30. Bell Mobility, which hails from the land where wireless usage is governed by the CRTC, charges me $40 for a measly 500 MB. You'd be amazed at how that one little word - "unlimited" - governs your usage... in the US I really don't think twice about usage, whereas in Canada, I do. It's a bit of a placebo effect - even though I had reviewed my old AT&T bills before signing up with a Bell data plan and I had never ever gone over, say, 300 MB of data use per month, somehow overages with Bell are still in the back of my mind. It's silly, I know, it's not like there's a Canadian MB and a US MB, but still, it illustrates my point.

What is counterintuitive to this logic is that AT&T is having a shitfit about tethering because it foolishly tossed around that u-word when describing their data plan. Big bad AT&T is smart enough to know that if they were to allow tethering, Americans will test the limits the "unlimited" capabilities, as we sometimes see in these news articles that come up about Joe Blow who got a bill for $20 000 in data usage for something that was supposedly legitimate use. Amazingly enough, the Canadian carriers allow tethering - but the caveat is that it will eat into your 500 MB, so the notion is that, yes, you can tether, but it will be at a cost to yourself in the long run, so you'd better not tether very much or you won't have enough MB's left for your regular iPhone usage.

So, while a 3G model would be nice, regardless of location any heavy internet user would be looking for a way around these constraints, likely through jailbreaking, which brings me back to my original point, jailbreaking an iPad would be a very very good thing, not only for internet but for greater access to ebooks, apps, etc. as well.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If you think about it, the fact that they've promised it's coming actually makes it far more likely that they will allow some form of tethering in the not too distant future. Stay tuned.

I would say maybe in 4.0, but until AT&T finish overhauling their pathetic backend systems (which could still take years) I don't think we'll see it. America seems perfectly content being behind in tech all the time.

nlensander

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
Is it even possible to get the 3G version without the 3G contract that goes along with it? :confused: Using 1 sim for both iPhone 3G and iPad 3G wouldn't work then..

there is no contract for the 3g version of the iPad, it is a month to month cancel anytime plan, there is no contract for it, and no u cannot because the ipad uses a microsim and the iphone uses a normal sim card, which is probably one of the reasons apple put a microsim in the ipad...;)

TimothyJarman

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Do you think if no one was to bother purchasing the ipad, then apple would consider tethering?

I cant understand the mentality, who would be stupid enough to pay for 2 subscriptions when they already have 1?

I have no problem in paying for the more expensive ipad with 3g, i have no problem with my mobile provider then joining my contract under the same bill.

BUT I WILL NOT PAY 2 SUBSCRIPTIONS, i barley use enough bandwidth on the iphone.

Another thing that really gets up my behind....Unlimited bandwidth.... its capped, so how the hell can it be unlimited. This is wrong and they should be had up for false advertising, its not unlimited in any stretch of the imagination, it does not even come close to being unlimited, its LIMITED

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Just for clarity, "unlimited" is actually limited to 5GB... A lot, but it is not truly "unlimited"...

Can you point to a link where that is stated? Because as far as I know - the 5gig "unlimited" is capped only for the data cards and not the iPhone or BB unlimited data plan...

Please enlighten

iigsie

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
If I am paying for a tethering option, why is it down to the carriers? Or does Jobs just mean it's down to AT&T not supporting any tethering specifically?

If there is absolutely no tethering whatsoever, I will not be purchasing an iPad.

And I know I am not alone, so not allowing tethering on the principle of it hurting the iPad 3G sales is actually going to hurt the Wifi only sales.

healeydave

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
I thought this was going to be a big deal for me too, but as this thread is now 12 pages long, you could be forgiven for missing a previous posters excellent advice to simply use an iPhone app that converts your 3G service into a Wifi Zone.

I actually think this slicker than tethering as multiple devices , your iPad and your Macbook etc could use your iPhones 3G Data Service :)

Sweet!

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I thought this was going to be a big deal for me too, but as this thread is now 12 pages long, you could be forgiven for missing a previous posters excellent advice to simply use an iPhone app that converts your 3G service into a Wifi Zone.

I actually think this slicker than tethering as multiple devices , your iPad and your Macbook etc could use your iPhones 3G Data Service :)

Sweet!

While I agree turning an iPhone into a wifi hotspot and connect a Wifi-only iPad to it should work, I wonder if the overall experience will be slower than a 3G iPad. Sure the underlying connection is the same (both are 3G), but there's an extra hop that the data needs to go through. Besides, iPhone 3G is slower than 3GS (overall performance, not connection speed), so if you're using a iPhone 3G as wifi spot and connect a wifi iPad to it, wouldn't the overall performance be more sluggish than a 3G iPad?? :confused:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
While I agree turning an iPhone into a wifi hotspot and connect a Wifi-only iPad to it should work, I wonder if the overall experience will be slower than a 3G iPad. Sure the underlying connection is the same (both are 3G), but there's an extra hop that the data needs to go through. Besides, iPhone 3G is slower than 3GS (overall performance, not connection speed), so if you're using a iPhone 3G as wifi spot and connect a wifi iPad to it, wouldn't the overall performance be more sluggish than a 3G iPad?? :confused:

You'll get a tiny bit more latency, but throughput shouldn't be affected.

healeydave

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, I agree, I think the difference using 3g through an iPad equipped with 3g compared to sharing the iPhones 3g will be negligible unless there are multiple devices all using the one service at the same time.

wclyffe

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2009
Tether Thru A Cable (dock To Dock)

Ok, I admit I have not read EVERY post in this long thread, but I read dozens and I may have missed this concept along the way. I am also not as technologically advanced as many here in this great forum.

Question: Why can't someone build a short cable that connects the iPhone to the iPad by their respective dock connectors? Is this a viable way to tether to the iPhone and bypass the wait for USB or Bluetooth tethering? Since the dock connector seems to hold most options in how the iPhone connects to everything, it just seems this is a possibility with some inline electronics in the cord.

It just seems someone will figure this out and all you will need is a simple cable to pull it off.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Question: Why can't someone build a short cable that connects the iPhone to the iPad by their respective dock connectors? Is this a viable way to tether to the iPhone and bypass the wait for USB or Bluetooth tethering? Since the dock connector seems to hold most options in how the iPhone connects to everything, it just seems this is a possibility with some inline electronics in the cord.

It just seems someone will figure this out and all you will need is a simple cable to pull it off.

Building a cable is relatively easy, but just hooking up iPhone to iPad with a cable doesn't enable tethering. You need to write system level protocol to enable exchange of data through the cable. And the only way to get such low-level system protocol to run on the iPhone/iPad is if they were jailbroken.

wclyffe

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2009
Building a cable is relatively easy, but just hooking up iPhone to iPad with a cable doesn't enable tethering. You need to write system level protocol to enable exchange of data through the cable. And the only way to get such low-level system protocol to run on the iPhone/iPad is if they were jailbroken.

Yes, I was sure the physical connection of the dock connectors (unlike a computer) was nothing more than just that, but I was wondering since both units contain this connector if this was a technological possibility for tethering that would be easier to achieve.

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Jailbreak it, you babies.

Can't be a cheapskate and complain about < 10 minute process, too.

Oh yeah, it gives you multitasking too.

kernyboy

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
Jailbreak it, you babies.

Can't be a cheapskate and complain about < 10 minute process, too.

Oh yeah, it gives you multitasking too.

can't argue with that. I plan on jailbreaking my iPhone. My contract is up in June/July, so I may just get a palm pixi with sprint and MiFi it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.