Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
Oh, it's probably one of his minor lowly minions, but it's hilarious that Jobs leaves them instructions to answer his emails in this fashion. Like the earlier poster said, no other CEO in the world would dare do such a thing.

You've obviously never been to a shareholder's meeting then.

That's pretty much the standard response to idiotic questions to which everyone already knows the answer. I'd have been more impressed with a response of:

sjobs@apple.com said:
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/3G+WiFi

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You've obviously never been to a shareholder's meeting then.

That's pretty much the standard response to idiotic questions to which everyone already knows the answer. I'd have been more impressed with a response of:

But this isn't a shareholder's meeting, it's a response to a customer email. But I do like your suggestion for a possible response.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
MyWi is the best $10 I've spent on any "App". That's how I'm going to be tethering my iPad.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
If only that was the case everywhere.

There is so much free Wi Fi available these days, I avoid using 3G most of the time because it's so much slower.

I'd rather see cities develop free Wi Fi networks that provide coverage without AT&T's ridiculous profit margins.

Around here the availability of open WiFi connections is extremely thin. In fact I hardly ever connect my iPhone that way and I use it on the web a lot.

As to cities or government in general providing WiFi I'm not convinced that is wise either. There is a small zone of Town provided WiFi not far from where I live, it is so bad it is not worth the drive. At times 3G is faster.

What is really needed is good old fashion competition, instead of city or town legislated monopolies.

One possibility that does intrigue me though is the idea that we could replace the US Postal service with a government run fiber to the home system. This would replace one monopoly with another but would be a modern approach to the constitutional requirement for a Mail service. It would take awhile but does have some advantages, one being taking local control out of the loop. The other is the idea that tacking on a WiFi node would be very inexpensive and would lead to proliferation.

The problem is we have to many idiots in congress to grasp the proposal. To save jobs they would just expand the US Postal service which is of course a pretty stupid move. The other issue would be the luddites and other crazies thinking that your number (IP Address) is some sort of a government plan to do what ever.

Dave

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
But this isn't a shareholder's meeting, it's a response to a customer email. But I do like your suggestion for a possible response.

Mine was in response to someone saying that no other CEO would respond with just a "No." No, it happens all the time, when there's nothing else to say on the matter besides, "you idiot."

Asking about iPhone tethering to an iPad is, frankly, a ridiculous question.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
steve doesnt want to give people ideas thats false. people will look at his wording and will out of the blue twist his words. so he keeps it simple. "no" now tell me, how do you twist that?

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
i think you guys sometimes forget apple is a company and it would simply be stupid for them to allow people to teather there iphones to there ipads. there would be zero reason to get a ipad 3g.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
i think you guys sometimes forget apple is a company and it would simply be stupid for them to allow people to teather there iphones to there ipads. there would be zero reason to get a ipad 3g.

Au contraire. As spelled out in detail earlier, there are around 50 million reasons for aapl to allow iPhone owners to tether their iPads. The 3G model extends the mobile iPad market to non iPhone owners.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
What is really needed is good old fashion competition, instead of city or town legislated monopolies.

There's not been much competition going on here in the private sector, Europe and parts of Asia are far outstripping the US when it comes to development of networks.

It's funny you should mention monopolies when talking about AT&T. AT&T at one point, was one of the most abusive monopolies ever to form. It was so bad that it was broken into the baby bells to encourage competition again.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Wouldn't tethering become a user interface nightmare though? You'd have to ensure the device isn't asleep to be able to connect to it, and it would run down the battery on both devices.

Surely a better solution is to just switch SIM card between devices, clone your sim card, or arrange some sort of duo-plan with your network provider, like a family plan, but for a family of devices. :p

iPhone sim won't fit.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Mine was in response to someone saying that no other CEO would respond with just a "No." No, it happens all the time, when there's nothing else to say on the matter besides, "you idiot."

Sure, answering just "no" happens, but in this thread we are talking about answering just "no" to an email. From a customer. Most CEOs will have their minions send a standardized, overly polite and long-winded response in order to just say no, instead of actually just writing "No."

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
What about different kinds of tethering. I would love it if the pad could share the phones camera (conferencing). How about letting the phone act as an iTunes server. You could watch movies or TV shows that were stored on your phone.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
why not just buy a 3g of you want to use the net on the go? this is the reason why i stop using ebay because people think they are owed the world

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
The bottom line is AT&T requests tethering restrictions to add more channels of revenue and restrict the convenience of larger data usage. That's the reason.

So the entire solution to tethering is to have a path with AT&T that addresses their concerns. If I had tethering I would want to use it with my PowerBook for occasional email checking (that is to say downloading of stored messages and erasing the email server), or for viewing messages that have the proper software on the PowerBook. This does not sound like a bandwidth hog use to me. This sounds like convenience or mission critical usage.

Now if a user is going to tether to download images of pirated DVD's and such, they are probably going to jailbreak anyway.

I want an option that says, you are a trusted customer. You have a legit Apple device, and a legit AT&T data account. You may use that for XYZ uses up to ABC bandwidth limit, and above that you pay a premium fee. If it is sufficiently mission critical you will pay that fee too. If you are downloading torrents, you will make the minor compromise to wait till you get home to your PC.

Rocketman

2 words- BULL ****!

If AT&T was worried about the bandwidth, they wouldn't GLADLY sell you a 3G dongle for your laptop... And charge you for it...

I am PERFECTLY willing to pay an upcharge to use the iPhone as a tether - I pay $40 a month right now for the 3G USB dongle I use to get my macbook online while traveling. The point is, I'd rather just give them that $40 and be allowed to tether so it'd be 1 less thing I'd have to lug around with me....

But they don't even give us that option!

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
A little. It had been proposed elsewhere that this was the future. Your iPhone would be your wireless internet device. You would pay one bill for this and tether your other devices to the iPhone. In addition, the iPhone would become smaller as you would mostly use it for phone calls and for an internet connection. The iPad would serve as the larger screen when needed. It sounded plausible.

I would absolutely say no to a smaller iphone.People are not going to carry both around as much as you seem to think.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
why not just buy a 3g of you want to use the net on the go? this is the reason why i stop using ebay because people think they are owed the world

Because it adds $30 or so a month?

Why pay the extra internet charge when you can tether with your ( non iPhone ) phone?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Because it adds $30 or so a month?

Why pay the extra internet charge when you can tether with your ( non iPhone ) phone?

The reason it only costs $30/month for unlimited access is that Apple promised AT&T that it wouldn't let wi-fi ipads tether to iphones.

anjonjp

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
The guy got a direct response to his question, I don't see anything wrong with that. No need for Steve to give him some big explanation.

Exactly! They asked Jobs a closed ended question to which there are only two possible answers. A 'yes' or a 'no'. OK - there is also 'maybe' if you want to cause chaos and confusion on the Macrumours forums! :D:D

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The reason it only costs $30/month for unlimited access is that Apple promised AT&T that it wouldn't let wi-fi ipads tether to iphones.

Ah ok. But Apple cannot stop tethering from other phones... how can you identify tethering vs regular WIFI AP?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Ah ok. But Apple cannot stop tethering from other phones... how can you identify tethering vs regular WIFI AP?

You can't. But a deal is a deal. AT&T figures iPhone owners are much more likely to buy iPads, so most iPad owners, at least for awhile, will also have iPhones. It tethering is allowed, that's increased load on the network without additional $$ for AT&T (remember - AT&T still doesn't allow iPhone tethering). This way, AT&T gets at least some $$ to allow what every decent network already allows.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
This just aint fair. Though I do understand. I am still not happy with the extra 4130 for the 3G ipad. I guess ATT said they wouldnt subsidize again so Apple is getting their pound of flesh from us.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
This just aint fair. Though I do understand. I am still not happy with the extra 4130 for the 3G ipad. I guess ATT said they wouldnt subsidize again so Apple is getting their pound of flesh from us.

its contract free or subsidized pricing. apple choice no contract which suits this device.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Aww, muffin. You're just sad because he never replied to you, eh?

I have to believe he is, given the fact that the first time I emailed him led to an interview with Apple and they had no idea what I did for a living. Sure, maybe there's people sifting through the emails and pushing select ones up to him.. maybe not. But I doubt Steve Jobs, or Apple would allow that kind of direct (and blunt) communication with customers if it wasn't really him. Every time this happens it ends up on Engadget, or Digg, etc. And look at the kind of negative attention it's generating.

By my own experience, types like Steve are addicted to their work. They can't let it go.. ever. They're working until the wee hours of the morning, up late, up early, and always writing emails, leaving voicemails. They're an employees worst nightmare because the job never ends. It really doesn't seem that unrealistic to me.

I'm sure it's not out of the realm of possibility that Steve Jobs has at one time or another over the years responded to an email which got kicked up through all the screening layers. However, the idea that the CEO of a now $200B corporation, in the middle of a new product rollout, is answering emails that could be handled by a lower level functionary is beyond ridiculous. Even low level aapl employees have a lot of discretion when it comes to satisfying customers. I've heard of lots of people who've had trouble with laptops, even out of warranty, who've been given new ones by the genius bar guys. The PR is well worth it. (L.L. Bean is pretty much the same) And when someone who has had major surgery in the past year is awake at 3:00 a.m., the last thing in the world he will be doing is handling customer complaints. It's a fairy tale. And it's relevant here because since it's not from SJ, it's far from the last word on to what extent the wifi iPad will be able to be tethered.

Jezper

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010

Asking about iPhone tethering to an iPad is, frankly, a ridiculous question.

And why is that? Ridiculous is to release not one but two different versions of the iPad, and none of them can connect to internet thru an iPhone even though the iPhone officially supports devices connecting to the internet thru it and the technology to do so is right there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.