Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rob87

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2020
I already swapped the axles, was planning on installing it tomorrow, next year when I have more time and better weather, I plan on removing trans, and cutting a hole in fender adding the reservoir externally. where it sits now is not accessible. its under seat and under center chute, need to R&R deck put tractor on blocks unbolt and slide chute out, and even then to add oil would be a mess. adding oil with drain plugs in, would create an air block and take forever to change, and would have to go through process of bleeding air and risk low oil issues trying to fill. you do not have access to both sides of transfer case like the oil fill port under fan. What I would do with external reservoir, is fill tank simultaneously dropping drain plug the vacuum created should suck the new oil in.
It sounds like your bagging chute adds complexity to the transmission removal and install for an oil change. It is pretty straightforward on my d110. I’ve gotten pretty handy at managing oil spill when turning over to drain with a painters tape “rip cord” (put painters tape over the hole, turn over over drain pan, then pull off painters tape and let oil gush out). Honestly the part I am least excited about with an oil change is dealing with the snap ring removal on top of the fan on input drive shaft. Even with snap ring pliers, I find myself wrestling with it, deforming/reforming it, and hunting for it if it slips off the pliers and flies across the garage.
Still, a drain plug and reservoir seems like it might ease getting all the oil out and take some of the guess work out of refilling. Do you have two drain plugs? One for the pump/motor section and one for the gear section? There seems to be a partial wall between these two sections that would impede flow of oil except at the top near the fill plug.

kevinmcf

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2020
Well I mounted trans last night getting ready to test, but even after changing axels, they were still 1/4" shorter??? Made 2 new spacers at work today so will have to wait untill I get home. Hard to see how (the LTR) all goes together, in pic attached, but the rear U plate mounts to rear of tractor, and a drive pulley sits in the rear frame. There are large side brackets to this frame that fully enclose the trans. So in order to get the arms in place, you need to slide 2 arms on and cotter pin them, with trans about 2-3" below mounting. The lever for free-wheeing has to be connected with trans bolted up, and free-wheeling arm attaches under the drive pulley mount to rear frame. And being under pully you can't see it, you have to feel your way to get cotter pin in! And you have to do this working through a 4 x 6" hole in rear plate (3 pieces) 2 are circled the 3rd is large rear of basket.. The rear discharge chute goes through this hole (3rd circle). Would be much easier to R&R trans by removing the rear plate (I did this the first time), but the plate is all 1/4" steel and w/o a helper its heavy & hard to hold in place and align holes to bolt up. Then you need to slide the chute up over the trans and use screwdrivers and needle nose to pull through that rear hole!!! After 4 times its still a pain in the F***n A**. Then you have to mount the deck normally easy enough, but there is a second part to Chute attached to deck (that's spring loaded) has to be held down while trying to push deck into rear chute. again with helper one on each side easy to slide in but you have to keep going side to side as you push one side in the other slides out!! I found if you put tracter on 3" blocks its easier to drop tractor down on deck, then trying to lift deck up working side to side to get chute lined up! I still don't know what happened to axles???? I thought (only for a nano-second) I re-installed the original K58 axles, but I have a set of new axles sitting on my bench! In retrospect, should have done what you sugested and swapped all the guts, its much easier working on bench, then sitting in my driveway with my cellphone light! Keeping my fingers crossed that the 1/2" each side, wheelbase does not hinder lifting of deck!

Attachments

• ltr180 rear chute.jpg
    ltr180 rear chute.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 297

kevinmcf

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2020
Hope you had a nice turkey day. Last Wednesday I mounted trans, chute and deck figuring what could go wrong with new trans ... Went to drive let up drive pedal pushed forward and NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!
Tried unbolting chute to see top of trans was able to push chute back about 2 inches and can see belt was off?? WTF! Belt was wrapped around fan. had to remove small clip to get pulley and fan off. Dont know if pulley is about 1/4" higher then original (K46)? so belt on slight downward angle off trans to rear pulley, so fan clips the belt? Original (K46) the spline spacer is between fan and pulley so there is about 1/3rd in clearance between fan and belt. I cannot put splined spacer between fan and pulley (as original) as it drops fan down too low and hits hump in trans. I was debating wether I could just add spacers to lower trans so I could add a little more clearance by lowering trans would add a little room and belt a sight angle upwards. But I decided to R&R trans since I also had issue with spacers not fitting on rims wanted to double check the axle swap any way. and decided to swap the trans pump, gears, charge pump... to my original K46 trans.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Hope you had a nice turkey day. Last Wednesday I mounted trans, chute and deck figuring what could go wrong with new trans ... Went to drive let up drive pedal pushed forward and NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!
Tried unbolting chute to see top of trans was able to push chute back about 2 inches and can see belt was off?? WTF! Belt was wrapped around fan. had to remove small clip to get pulley and fan off. Dont know if pulley is about 1/4" higher then original (K46)? so belt on slight downward angle off trans to rear pulley, so fan clips the belt? Original (K46) the spline spacer is between fan and pulley so there is about 1/3rd in clearance between fan and belt. I cannot put splined spacer between fan and pulley (as original) as it drops fan down too low and hits hump in trans. I was debating wether I could just add spacers to lower trans so I could add a little more clearance by lowering trans would add a little room and belt a sight angle upwards. But I decided to R&R trans since I also had issue with spacers not fitting on rims wanted to double check the axle swap any way. and decided to swap the trans pump, gears, charge pump... to my original K46 trans.

There is a difference in pulley height. I mention this in one of my first posts a long time ago. It's amazing to see the thread still going in here. It's like a thread from "Green Tractor Talk." ;););)

kevinmcf

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2020
I remember reading that I thought I would have had the clearance though. my first attempt the fan hit belt as I had to put spacers under fan, as the hump using the K57 case was higher and hitting fan. But that put fan too close to belt and with higher angle belt wrapped around and broke the fan. So I swapped cases using the k46 no hump, w/ reservoir as u can see fan sits under it. So when I had the extra clearance I used 2 spacer between pulley and fan, give more room as I only had 1 extra fan, as u see 1st pic using 2 spacers between fan and pulley, pulley wore hole in chute and kicked belt off. So I lowered trans about 3/8" w/ spacers, and also lowered pulley moving 1 spacer on top and 1 below pulley. And off to the races:) Tractor K seams to go faster in reverse then forward (pedals F & R are good) I assume would need to reverse motor wedge and also reverse F&R lever to fix this but She works and I can finish leaves for the year

Attachments

• chute worn pulley.jpg
    chute worn pulley.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 148
  • ltr reservoir.jpg
    ltr reservoir.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 136
  • ltr space lowering pulley.jpg
    ltr space lowering pulley.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 187
  • ltr w bagger.jpg
    ltr w bagger.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 194
  • ltr leaves.jpg
    ltr leaves.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: John Skull

John Skull

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
South Carolina
This thread is great! .. and a service to mower owners with failed transaxles. Pretty weird that it's on an Apple forum but no problem. I'm in the same boat with a John Deere D130 bought in 2017. My trans failed thanks to its thrust bearing (under the pump) destroying itself and its housing. Chunks and bearing rollers all over the inside (I know this because I removed it and tore into it). I've been running it on my hilly property and sometimes pulling a load using a Jet Sled, and I understand it's under-designed for that with the K46 / TLT200 it came with. I considered just replacement parts by Tuff Torq but I don't know what else will break.. so I ordered the K57R from Surplus Center. I plan to open it up and reverse the wedge, etc. Not sure yet but think its likely I'll have to retain the old axles. Thanks to the posters here for all the detailed info and pics!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I remember reading that I thought I would have had the clearance though. my first attempt the fan hit belt as I had to put spacers under fan, as the hump using the K57 case was higher and hitting fan. But that put fan too close to belt and with higher angle belt wrapped around and broke the fan. So I swapped cases using the k46 no hump, w/ reservoir as u can see fan sits under it. So when I had the extra clearance I used 2 spacer between pulley and fan, give more room as I only had 1 extra fan, as u see 1st pic using 2 spacers between fan and pulley, pulley wore hole in chute and kicked belt off. So I lowered trans about 3/8" w/ spacers, and also lowered pulley moving 1 spacer on top and 1 below pulley. And off to the races:) Tractor K seams to go faster in reverse then forward (pedals F & R are good) I assume would need to reverse motor wedge and also reverse F&R lever to fix this but She works and I can finish leaves for the year

Interesting I have my pulley in the same exact position of your second pic. Butted up to the snap ring. I haven't had any issues with slipping. I guess it must be a difference in K46 variants.

Do you still have the brackets for the kill switch in place? That'll limit pedal movement and speed.

This thread is great! .. and a service to mower owners with failed transaxles. Pretty weird that it's on an Apple forum but no problem. I'm in the same boat with a John Deere D130 bought in 2017. My trans failed thanks to its thrust bearing (under the pump) destroying itself and its housing. Chunks and bearing rollers all over the inside (I know this because I removed it and tore into it). I've been running it on my hilly property and sometimes pulling a load using a Jet Sled, and I understand it's under-designed for that with the K46 / TLT200 it came with. I considered just replacement parts by Tuff Torq but I don't know what else will break.. so I ordered the K57R from Surplus Center. I plan to open it up and reverse the wedge, etc. Not sure yet but think its likely I'll have to retain the old axles. Thanks to the posters here for all the detailed info and pics!

I was surprised too. The funny thing is. It's picked up way more traction than the tractor forums I posted in.

That load may be a bit much for the K57 too. Not sure how much that jet sled weighs. But mine still struggles with a load of cinder blocks. So, I run with the motor at full power and keep my speed down. To maximize cooling. I think the biggest issue is overheating.

Anyways, hopefully the posts here give you a good idea of what to do.

John Skull

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
South Carolina
The Jet Sled is just a plastic sliding container tied to my hitch on the mower. They are mainly used for ice fishing but it's good for hauling yard waste. I'll be more careful not to overload it...

I think for pushing in the axle seals I'll try a piece of PVC pipe ?

Also ordering 2 drain bolt kits...

danielly

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020
Good info. Can't believe the official replacement part is now a lower end tranny. I found some mention of someone replacing their K46 with a Husqvarna K57 in an L130. So, I should be able to do the same. The only issue mentioned is forward/reverse has been reversed. Which makes sense since all the Husqvarna models I found have the reverse kill switch on the opposite side of the pedal lever than the corresponding JD models.

I'll give that forum a look.

I don't think I'll order the official JD replacement. Since it is lower end than the orginal. I'll either get some other K46 and hope the direction isn't reversed or chance the K57.

I know what you're talking about with the K66. I'd love to get a tractor with it or a K72 even. It's just too much to spend right now when the K46 has held up. I'm hoping it'll last until electric lawn tractors are cheap enough to switch.

I'm one of those who replaced their K46 with a Husqvarna K57 on the L130. But I suggest you buy a new one instead, brother. It doesn't work properly and I don't think it will work for long.

John Skull

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
South Carolina
I found some time to work on the Tuff Torq K57R transplant project for my John Deere D130 mower, which had the L2 TLT200a transaxle (a K46 variant from around 2016/2017). I haven't bolted the K57R back on the mower yet but thought I'd throw out a couple tips for those who want to crack open their new K57R to "flip the wedge". I'll be referring to part #'s on this page: TUFF TORQ K57R

As stated by others, if you want to keep the existing control setup you need to flip the wedge (part #36, "motor housing") to reverse the gear action (this transaxle was intended for some Husqvarna models with a different control scheme). In order to do the flip you must remove the pump & housing drive line that runs through the wedge.

The tricky parts are: (a) getting it back together, completely seated back into the housing so that the cover (part #3, lower case) will sit evenly all around the mating surface; and (b) not losing some small parts that will almost certainly fall out while you are handling the guts of this thing.

To address tricky part (b), here are some parts that tend to fall out during this operation: #25 pin, #35 washer, #28/#29/#30 IDS valve, spring and filter, #75 brake shoe, #54 jerky plate, #96 pin. Of special note is #25 pin, which is TINY and will definitely fall out when you tilt the pump housing after removal. I dropped out this pin several times, and fortunately found it each time (make sure you have a clean, uncluttered work space that will let you find anything dropped). If your IDS valve(s) fall out (and they likely will), make sure you recover the #30 filter, a TINY round metal screen that goes inside #28. I had lost this for a while and didn't even know it until I noticed one IDS valve sitting higher than the other. The screen was laying in the crankcase and luckily I saw it. No telling what would have happened if that little chunk of metal was floating around in there, and the IDS probably wouldn't have worked right either.

For tricky part (a), be patient and don't force anything. Test fit your #3 lower case after reinstalling all your parts. It is likely this cover doesn't sit evenly on the mating surfaces on your first try. After a few tries, I test fit the wedge/bearing/shaft combo WITHOUT the #24 pump housing so that it easily seated to its proper depth, then marked the wedge with a sharpie at its location. When you are reinstalling the entire assembly you must squeeze it or clamp it so that the cylinders compress. Ensure proper seating of the assembly to your marked depth and start the 3 inner bolts #27, but don't torque them until you are certain the #43 bearing is seated or at least clear of obstructions. Again, test fit the lower case several times during the process to ensure nothing will bind. There is very little clearance when you flip the wedge and you can break internal pieces of the soft aluminum case if you go full torque without ensuring proper fit. Again, ensure you don't let the #25 pin slide out by tilting the pump to much. Verify #25 pin is working after seating the pump by flicking the external bypass lever #13 and feeling it positively stop. Note that you must have this lever turned so that the flat surface of bypass shaft #12 will allow the #25 pin to be positioned correctly.

I'm letting the Permatex Ultra Black cure overnight and will be refilling with new 5W50 Mobil1 today. Also doing other stuff to the mower like the bushings-to-bearings upgrade for the front wheels, oil change, valve clearance set, new drive and deck belts, so it will be a while before a test drive. I do intend to try the test spin with a drill & socket suggested by rob87, after oil refill to get out any air pockets.

Last edited:

John Skull

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
South Carolina
I filled the unit with Mobil1 5W50 full synthetic (couldn't find any at local stores, got a 6-qt case on amazon). When I first opened the oil lid it was pretty much up to the very top so I tried to duplicate.. it held about 2 quarts and 4 ounces, after getting air pockets out. Did this by spinning the input shaft with a drill & socket and temporarily replacing the oil lid and sloshing the unit about. I tested the forward/reverse action on the workbench by holding the FWD/REV lever with a short piece of PVC pipe while doing the drill spin. Also tested the bypass lever function and it worked (the tiny pin survived ?).

Not sure if I'll ever use them, but I went ahead and tapped & drilled for the drains. Used 17/64 bit and M8-1.25 tap, with the Tuff Torx drain plug kits, found on eBay pretty cheap (2 bolts and 2 rubber coated washers). Next time I change the transaxle oil, it might just be easier to drop the unit than to access that oil plug from underneath. Of course the JD owner's manual has a section on the "transmission" saying only that it's a sealed unit and no maintenance is required. :rolleyes:

Looking at some oil leakage along the bottom of the engine, so I'm almost sure the Briggs & Stratton v-twin has a bad sump gasket (a fairly common issue on these). Still researching that, but now's the time to fix it since the deck, pulleys, etc. are already removed.. and it's winter.

Last edited:

John Skull

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
South Carolina
Tackling the oil leak, which isn't severe, just all around the base of the motor. So I pulled the motor out.. not too difficult (given my current state of mower tear-down which is extensive), just 4 bolts underneath. Had to use an air-driven impact wrench to break them loose. Got easier access by running the front wheels up on some car ramps. Picking up the motor to carry to a nearby table was no big deal on this unit (B&S 44N677); it probably weighs 50 or 60 pounds.

So I flip it over, crack open the housing, expecting to find missing chunks of gasket... um, there's NO GASKET!! ??
Just a few wispy traces of some black RTV along some edges! Are you telling me that B&S and/or JD wanted to save a couple of bucks by using sealant instead of a gasket? They didn't even put much on there or else it burned away. I only have 124 hours on the machine and I bought it new from Lowe's. SMH. The box stores really do sell throwaway mowers.

Anyway, I've ordered a proper gasket, crank/PTO seal, and valve cover gaskets. That's another thing, they used RTV on my valve covers instead of gaskets to save another 5 bucks, making it harder to set your valve clearances, knowing full well that the covers will have to be opened periodically.

There are some good YT videos detailing the sump gasket job; I've listed a couple below. I like the Taryl Fixes All channel for the laughs but he is also good with small engines. If you want to skip to the actual repair jump to about 4:45. He also covers the governor adjustment after reassembly well.
  1. Taryl Fixes All - sump gasket
  2. sump gasket repair

John Skull

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
South Carolina
Success! Completed the sump gasket install and put the engine back on, along with the PTO pulley and drive belt. Engine runs better than ever and the new K57R transaxle is working perfectly. It does seem a little faster at full speed now. Many thanks to the posters in this thread, especially rob87 for the detailed info and pics.

John Skull

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
South Carolina
One additional substitute.. the transaxle fan kept popping off right after I'd start moving. The circlip retaining ring that comes on the unit wasn't wide enough, so I put an E-clip on it, similar to the ones used for retaining the mower wheels. Anyway, mower is working great (did some mowing with bagger to clean up residual leaves/sticks) and no leakage from the transaxle seals or the engine sump.

John Skull

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
South Carolina
Update: 6 months later and all is well. The transaxle is running strong and there are no leaks from oil sump, PTO seal, rear axle seals, etc. (I still have the old seals in there). The extra ground speed put out by the K57R is nice to have too.
Another mod I did during the trans job was a front wheel bushings-to-bearings conversion (here's the kit for my model). On advice from Taryl I also installed cage bearings in the empty spaces between bearings along the front axles. Runs smoother I think and no more greasing.

diamond27

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
It is hydrostatic. I'm not sure about the hours. My JD doesn't have an hour meter. Also it was a used transaxle. The original lasted around ten years. I probably put about 70-80 hours a year on it.

I'm mowing an acre. It takes a about an hour. It's not flat either. There are some pretty steep grades on about a quarter of it. I also haul around cinderblocks, dirt, gravel and logs. Plus I also use a seed spreader and aerator attachment.
gutwrench, this is diamond27, I have a similar siuation (JD KLA115 with defective k46) I have an oppurtunity to buy a k57 reasonably priced) Did you ever do the switch? How did it work? I am interested in the forward/ reverse directions are reversed, How do you fix that?

diamond27

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
As people here have interests outside of Apple products. I figured someone here may be a lawn tractor enthusiast who could answer some questions. At any rate. My John Deere L108 transaxle has died on me. I considered rebuilding it but the prices of kits are too high compared to new transaxles. To make it worthwhile.

I was looking for a replacement on greenpartstore. When I noticed they were substituting the T40a for my K46v as the official JD replacement. Which has me worried that this may be lighter duty transaxle. I can't find any official specs for the T40 on Tuff Torq's website.

Anyway's this has me wondering two things
1. Can I just use any Tuff Torq K46 as a replacement? I assume they are the same. But I don't know if there are slight differences in mount, lever or pulley locations. Also sometimes a Craftsman K46 is cheaper than a JD one.
2. Can I upgrade to the K57 without modification? It looks like everything is positioned the same. Bolt holes, pulley, brake, wheel lock, forward/reverse lever and axle size. If I can make the upgrade. Can I use any model? I found a good price for one meant for Husqvarna tractors.
just upgraded my JD LA115 from K46 to K57, finished yesterday. It was quite involved but, wow! does it move out fast now. The k57 was new and was designed for a husqvarna, so I did have to make several modifications and adjustments. The biggest difference was the direction lever on the k57. It is in the right placer but works opposite of k46, The "reverse" pedal is now "forward" and vice versa. 2nd mod, but not a major concern is the k57 axles are 2" inches shorter than k46, had to reduce the 2 1/2 ince spacer to 1/2 inch. The third mod is the secondary mounting brackets that bolt to the frame had hole drilled in correct place but I had to tap 5/16 threads for the bolt. The 4th mod is the levers on the k57 for brake, and forward/reverse direction were of different lengths than k46, it required changing the levers from the 46 to the 57. I am retired and a mechanic so all was do=able. saved me about $600 and the 57 is a beefier transaxle

dckrueger57

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2021
I found this forum while searching for information for my John Deere Z540M transaxle.
I bought a used Ztrak with 60 hrs. on it. Love it! My yard takes 45 minutes now. Then I got volunteered to mow my dad's lawn. About 1.5 acres. Takes about 1.5 hrs. Both yards are flat. No hills except a long ditch at my dad's house, easy cut, mow it length wise. A lot of turns on both places. I mow my yard first then I blow off the machine with my leaf blower. Then I drive it onto my trailer and haul it to my dad's house. So it has a cool down period. Blow it off again when I am done.
So at about 83 hrs. on my Z540M I noticed a chatter in the right transaxle. Always near the end of my mowing at my dad's house. I didn't get any manuals with the mower so I looked up the operators manual on line. It said to keep the fans clean. So at 90 hrs. I took the plastic body off and power washed the whole machine. It needed it. I checked the oil level in the reservoir. Then I changed the engine oil and filter and put it all back together. ( let it dry off overnight before I put it together)
So I mowed and now the chatter is getting worse. Also starting to loose speed on the right side. My son has a Ztrak also and at 75hrs.(just out of warranty) the right transaxle went out. $1200 later his is fixed.
I started looking for a new or rebuilt part and the best price that I can find is about $950.
So my question is: If I fix my machine, is this going to be an ongoing problem? Every 100 hrs. a new transaxle?
Looking for any advice That I can get.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I found this forum while searching for information for my John Deere Z540M transaxle.
I bought a used Ztrak with 60 hrs. on it. Love it! My yard takes 45 minutes now. Then I got volunteered to mow my dad's lawn. About 1.5 acres. Takes about 1.5 hrs. Both yards are flat. No hills except a long ditch at my dad's house, easy cut, mow it length wise. A lot of turns on both places. I mow my yard first then I blow off the machine with my leaf blower. Then I drive it onto my trailer and haul it to my dad's house. So it has a cool down period. Blow it off again when I am done.
So at about 83 hrs. on my Z540M I noticed a chatter in the right transaxle. Always near the end of my mowing at my dad's house. I didn't get any manuals with the mower so I looked up the operators manual on line. It said to keep the fans clean. So at 90 hrs. I took the plastic body off and power washed the whole machine. It needed it. I checked the oil level in the reservoir. Then I changed the engine oil and filter and put it all back together. ( let it dry off overnight before I put it together)
So I mowed and now the chatter is getting worse. Also starting to loose speed on the right side. My son has a Ztrak also and at 75hrs.(just out of warranty) the right transaxle went out. $1200 later his is fixed.
I started looking for a new or rebuilt part and the best price that I can find is about $950.
So my question is: If I fix my machine, is this going to be an ongoing problem? Every 100 hrs. a new transaxle?
Looking for any advice That I can get.

I’ll bet you were surprised to get a hit on MR for your Transaxle, eh? ?

In all seriousness, I have zero experience with Z Series mowers, but I’ll bet you get some help. Serious transaxle gear heads in here. ?

dckrueger57

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2021
I’ll bet you were surprised to get a hit on MR for your Transaxle, eh? ?

In all seriousness, I have zero experience with Z Series mowers, but I’ll bet you get some help. Serious transaxle gear heads in here. ?
Well, it would appear that nobody wants weigh in on this one. I posted this on the talk green sight and I didn't get any answers there either.

dckrueger57

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2021
I sent the part number to Tuff Torq service dept. Asked them if they rebuild them. They sent me part numbers for new part and price. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.