Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chemess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2021
Hi all,
I'd really appreciate some advice.
I have three 2-bay WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra enclosures, each running RAID1 on twin 4 TB drives that hold mainly videos of racing events, movies, and TV shows. I use a mid-2012 Mac Mini (Catalina) as a Plex (movies & TV shows) and Emby (races) server, nothing else. This setup works pretty well except that each NAS holds its videos in a subfolder inside the PUBLIC folder. As the NAS devices load, they are recognized by Plex/Emby as PUBLIC, PUBLIC-1, and PUBLIC-2.
So here's the problem: when setting up each Plex or Emby library I must (is this for sure?) give a path to the videos, including the PUBLIC folder. But the libraries break if the NAS drives get loaded in a different order. SO...
Can I set the NAS drives in a RAID 10 (or 5?) configuration and still have each drive pair mirror each other as RAID 1? Can Isee the virtual disk on the Mac Mini for its server role but still see the individual drives for loading new videos? Is there a simpler way to specify the Library paths that's independent of the PUBLIC folder name (the videos are in subfolders named for whichever NAS drive they're in)? Is there something else to try?
Grateful for your help,
chemess

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I don’t use an NAS so apologies if I’m wasting your time. However, why is Plex media in a Public folder and not in its own specifically named (Plex 1 TV, etc) folder? That’s how I have mine set up and irrespective if a drive is on or off line, everything works fine.

chemess

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2021
I don’t use an NAS so apologies if I’m wasting your time. However, why is Plex media in a Public folder and not in its own specifically named (Plex 1 TV, etc) folder? That’s how I have mine set up and irrespective if a drive is on or off line, everything works fine.
Ray2, thank you for your response. So this may be my ignorance talking, but I (mistakenly?) thought the video files had to be in a PUBLIC folder on the NAS to be accessed outside the home. If I'm wrong about that, everything got a whole bunch simpler for me! I'll do some experimenting and report what I learn. Thank you again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.