Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
All of that you can do better on your phone. Do we really need to be glued to our gadgets 100% of the time? It's bad enough as it is. Is the terrible inconvenience of taking something from your pocket worth spending hundreds of dollars to save yourself 1 or 2 seconds? Especially when interacting with this new device is more complicated.

It's just another thing to worry about constantly charging, getting wet or breaking.

Perhaps the next gen will improve the limitations just enough to make it worth it, but I think it may just be a gadget too far.

Have you never been in a situation where you're literally pulling out a phone in your pocket 10 times in a row because of friends/family contacting you at the same time due to coincidence? At a movie theater or a business meeting or some other event where it is a pain to pull out the phone?

Shearwater

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Leeds , West Yorkshire
IPhone6

Jony: The iPhone6 is a thing of transcendental beauty
Steve Jobs: Jony..the camera sticks out
Jony: People will find their lives enlightened and transformed by using iPhone6
Steve Jobs: yeah but the camera sticks out
Jony: An experience of unparalleled joy...a flight of monumental proportions...a .
SteveJobs: Jony..don't you get it?... The camera sticks out!...#

rovolo

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2014
… but they will soon tire of it.

Well, will they? This is what it all comes down to. Will enough people find their personal use case with enough "profit" to keep them with the watch? With the iPad I was absolutely confident but for the Apple Watch I wouldn't dare to predict at this point (although I tend to say yes).

For myself I can say: I'm interested, but I'm not excited. Maybe I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll wait and see what the next iterations will bring.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Jony: "You want to know the best part... the Apple Watch will bind with its host immediately to become an autonomous part of the human soul................... and it comes in GOLD!!!"

lexR

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2013
UK
haters out in force here for the :apple:watch... i personally think its a great looking device which yes is a luxury item, might seem pointless to some and amazing to others and for me, apple took there time... a lot of time developing this and i think they nailed it, it does all i thought it would and a lot lot more.

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
I'm rooting for this device but just from a personal standpoint I'm really not finding something that draws me to it. I can absolutely see the Sport model taking off with athletes and the like, that makes a lot of sense to me, but otherwise I'm just not sure.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
For myself I can say: I'm interested, but I'm not excited. Maybe I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll wait and see what the next iterations will bring.

I think that's the thing, both this and the new iPhones aren't 'bad' products, they just aren't as 'instantly desirable' as previous products have been.

The cheap looking plastic parts and me-too android styling on the new iPhone are a little off-putting. It just doesn't seem like a unique premium device anymore. It's also annoying for anyone who wants a smaller phone, rather than larger.

Some people have been calling the :apple: Watch hideously ugly, I wouldn't go that far, but the zooming centeralised interface and round icons seem almost to have been designed for a circular watch-face. I do wonder if this was the original plan, and it probably would have looked more minimalistic, premium and basically more Apple-like. :confused:

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA
"Millions and millions?" Jony and Tim cannot do math.

3 different watch metals
6 different bands
18 unique watches total

Assuming 20 different digital watch faces:

Total unique watches is < 400!

I hate bad math.

They're saying millions and millions of combinations to make a unique watch for yourself. There are at least 10 different "metals" I can tell including the gold watches with the red crown or the rose gold with the white crown, a big and small version of each of those, different colors for all of the different bands they have, and then all the different watch faces. I'd not be surprised if there were millions of combinations with all of those factors in play.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I have a $6,500 Tag Heuer Monaco - it has a self winding mechanism but if I don't wear it every day then I have to wind it. It has the same dimensions as the Apple WATCH. The Monaco has been in production for longer than I have been alive and I waited 10 years to buy it. Charging/winding is irrelevant.

The crown on my Monaco protrudes as much as the Apple WATCH and has never been knocked and damaged.

I don't sleep in any watch I have ever owned - they all go into a bowl on my desk and I choose what to wear in the morning - if anything. The Apple WATCH will probably replace them all unless I want to wear a watch for the love of them.

I'm with you. Compared to most high end watches this is brilliant and beautiful.

I love the back. It reminds one of a high end automatic. Yet is has brand new functionality. And a beautiful charging technology.

The bands seem very well engineered. Some borrow from the hublot silicon strap, but better and with more options.

It's also really difficult to get a beautiful sub-$3000 technical looking watch with gold highlights. You have a few options like the i-gucci at $1400, the brietline aerospace at around $3,000, or maybe the upper tissot-touches at atoun $800.

At the price point, this destroys everything traditional. The only question I have is whether this competes well with a samsung gear, or what samsung has available when this releases 2015. I'm leaning yes, but not sure (I don't have an iPhone, gasp, so that's an issue).

Kith000

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
All of that you can do better on your phone. Do we really need to be glued to our gadgets 100% of the time? It's bad enough as it is. Is the terrible inconvenience of taking something from your pocket worth spending hundreds of dollars to save yourself 1 or 2 seconds? Especially when interacting with this new device is more complicated.

It's just another thing to worry about constantly charging, getting wet or breaking.

Perhaps the next gen will improve the limitations just enough to make it worth it, but I think it may just be a gadget too far.

You honestly think it'd be easier to check incoming messages on a phone that's in your pocket, rather than on a device that's on your wrist? Get real. And there are many cases where you need to be "glued" to your device. Work, for starters. I swear, I've heard all of these complaints before when the iPad first launched. "What's the point? Why do people need a bigger iPod Touch? Why would people spend money for that?". Actually, I was in the same camp. Then I used it. I've learned not to bash technology until I experience it myself, and see what benefits it could bring me, and how it "feels".

Wakeywarrior

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2012
Wise without Morcambe?

I'm still gutted over this Apple Watch. I've been scouring the forums and sites for months, desperate to buy one. I couldn't wait for the cutting edge design, multiple sensors, a fantastic health and fitness watch- I could dump my Garmin. This would do everything. In addition I'm a big fan of Joni Ive, seeing what he has achieved at Apple is remarkable. I even bought his recent biography the day it came out.

Boy, was I looking forward to this watch, credit card at the ready.

What do we get? Something that looks aesthetically average.

It needs an IPhone for everything- and even then it has to be an iPhone 5 up.

It doesn't even have GPS in it- why have a sport model? Which runner really wants a phone in their pocket. I can't even wear it in the shower, never mind keep it on in the pool etc. At the gym, I don't want to be taking my watch off to get in the shower. At the beach or by the pool on vacation I don't want to have to take it off and leave it in my bag- ripe for theft.

The multiple sensors turn out to be a heart rate monitor- already done, yawn. Where is the sweat analysis, blood glucose etc?

It's battery looks like it will last a day at best.

The wireless charging we had heard about, perhaps even working from some distance away? Sorry sir, you have to clip a charger to the back of it, but hey, it's magnetic. Another wire I have to have cluttering up the room.

I suspect the software (has Jony spent most of his time on this) will work well and look nice. I do wonder is Jony is spreading himself too thin and this is the result? Or is Jony only half of a high achieving double act, which was more than the sum of its parts?

Forgive me for the negativity, but I am so disappointed in nearly every aspect. Hopefully this will be a stepping stone to what the Apple Watch should be in itineration number 2.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
"The overall level of design in the Apple Watch simply blows away anything – digital or analog – in the watch space at $350. There is nothing that comes close to the fluidity, attention to detail, or simple build quality found on the Apple Watch in this price bracket. The Sistem51, for example, is a very cool, inexpensive mechanical watch. But it feels like it costs $150 (for the record, I bought one and adore it). Then, for closer to the price of the Apple Watch, you could own this, which is, well, downright horrific in just about every conceivable metric. Seiko does offer some nice things at $349 or less, but again, they feel like they cost exactly what they do. The Apple Watch feels like a lot of thought went into it, and no doubt it did. It feels expensive."

You can read the full article here. http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinkee-apple-watch-review

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
You've outlined the benefits well! I can see how it would work for you. I don't think that it applies to the majority though.

You're also right about the tech nerds, but I brought them up because nerds are supposed to be excited about new tech in general. It seems many are not, and a lot of people can't see a use for this thing.

My post concluded with me saying that I don't think it'll be the product category that the smartphone and tablet became, and I still think that's true.

I haven't even touched one and I can already see where a watch such as this would be useful. I own a fairly successful company and as such I get a *lot* of calls, texts, emails and FB messages all of which require that I remove my phone from my back pocket and see what's going on. Many times I am talking with someone and have to do so. How convenient would it be to simply glance at my wrist and decide whether I want to respond? Secondly, I referee youth soccer most weekends. When I do so, business doesn't stop and the calls, texts, emails etc. continue to come in. Once again, I find myself constantly pulling my phone out of my pocket to see what's going on. ....and once again how convenient would it be to glance at my wrist to do so. I'm already wearing a watch to keep track of game time so an :apple:Watch is simply adding additional functionality to an existing device and isn't that what much new tech is all about? Thirdly, I go to the gym 5 days a week to stay in shape and I listen to music while working out. Many times I find myself, once again, pulling my phone out of my pocket to change songs or check incoming texts, emails or calls. I think you get the point. These are just *3* of the ways I find this device useful and that's without even touching one.

As far as tech nerds go, I take what they say and what they think with a grain of salt. For the most part, these guys are *stuck* on specs and you know as well as I do that the vast majority of peeps don't give a fat rat's arse about specs. They want a device that feels decent in the hand and makes their life a little easier or enriches an already full life. ....and IMO, this is precisely why Apple is a leader in the industry. I'm not going to get into all of the nuances of smartphones and the differences between Android devices vs. Apple devices. That being said, I've owned just about every current Android device (Nexus 5, Galaxy S5, HTC One M7 & M8) and I *always* return to the iPhone because of the nuances I won't get into.

Rant over.

For now. :)

----------

Calm down, I'm sharing my opinion. You don't need to be rude, and you definitely shouldn't be making assumptions about people you know nothing about.

I didn't think the iPad was useless at all when it was announced, I thought it would be a great casual browsing device. It did go on to replace low-end laptops for casual users; so tell me, what do you think the watch will replace? Do you see it having the global acceptance over time that the phone and tablet do? Just by virtue of it being an accessory device, I don't think that's possible.

Were you not here during the iPad keynote? How everyone said there is no need for a giant iPod touch? How we already have phones and a laptop? That there is simply no need or real benefit for the iPad? How do people forget so quickly? You're the same guy that is gonna line up for the Apple Watch 2 just like everyone lined up for an iPad 2 when it ironed out all the kinks from iPad 1.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
You've outlined the benefits well! I can see how it would work for you. I don't think that it applies to the majority though.

You're also right about the tech nerds, but I brought them up because nerds are supposed to be excited about new tech in general. It seems many are not, and a lot of people can't see a use for this thing.

My post concluded with me saying that I don't think it'll be the product category that the smartphone and tablet became, and I still think that's true.

----------

Calm down, I'm sharing my opinion. You don't need to be rude, and you definitely shouldn't be making assumptions about people you know nothing about.

I didn't think the iPad was useless at all when it was announced, I thought it would be a great casual browsing device. It did go on to replace low-end laptops for casual users; so tell me, what do you think the watch will replace? Do you see it having the global acceptance over time that the phone and tablet do? Just by virtue of it being an accessory device, I don't think that's possible.
I see it as a new companion device that will do incredibly well in terms of sales and will continue to evolve and improve. Like all tech, it will become thinner, lighter and more robust in terms of function. Is it for everybody? Nope. There are those who will find no use for it and rightfully so. ....but the same thing can be said for just about any form of tech *including* smart phones.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Sport is the entry model.
It is lighter aluminum for weight. The Watch is the one with SS and Sapphire.

The naming on that is odd, it should be the other way around. SPort or Pro denomination usually mean it is better.

"Sport" is often used as a base model designation in cars. I think it makes sense for the watch. It is geared toward the "active" crowd who doesn't want to wear an "expensive" watch while at crossfit (though $349 isn't exactly cheap).

jkdsteve

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
Ive has become delusional....the iPhone6 is a 'me-to' product catering to the masses and the Watch is just plain ugly.

What's with the launches in 2015 too....wow!

I still think the iPhone6 will be the highest selling iPhone yet...but it's not revolutionary and beautiful like the 4 was/is.

Jess13

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I think what the WATCH does that the renders didnt do is reflect the reality that a watch needs to cling to the body - everybody whose arms are different.

Apple uses renders in official imagery?

Photographer Peter Belanger

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pet...wKQwIC4CA&ved=0USgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=683ter

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/08/peter-belanger-the-man-behind-many-of-apples-iconic-product-images/

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/8/43...icity-photographer-peter-belanger-on-shooting

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
I'm still gutted over this Apple Watch. I've been scouring the forums and sites for months, desperate to buy one. I couldn't wait for the cutting edge design, multiple sensors, a fantastic health and fitness watch- I could dump my Garmin. This would do everything. In addition I'm a big fan of Joni Ive, seeing what he has achieved at Apple is remarkable. I even bought his recent biography the day it came out.

Boy, was I looking forward to this watch, credit card at the ready.

What do we get? Something that looks aesthetically average.

It needs an IPhone for everything- and even then it has to be an iPhone 5 up.

It doesn't even have GPS in it- why have a sport model? Which runner really wants a phone in their pocket. I can't even wear it in the shower, never mind keep it on in the pool etc. At the gym, I don't want to be taking my watch off to get in the shower. At the beach or by the pool on vacation I don't want to have to take it off and leave it in my bag- ripe for theft.

The multiple sensors turn out to be a heart rate monitor- already done, yawn. Where is the sweat analysis, blood glucose etc?

It's battery looks like it will last a day at best.

The wireless charging we had heard about, perhaps even working from some distance away? Sorry sir, you have to clip a charger to the back of it, but hey, it's magnetic. Another wire I have to have cluttering up the room.

I suspect the software (has Jony spent most of his time on this) will work well and look nice. I do wonder is Jony is spreading himself too thin and this is the result? Or is Jony only half of a high achieving double act, which was more than the sum of its parts?

Forgive me for the negativity, but I am so disappointed in nearly every aspect. Hopefully this will be a stepping stone to what the Apple Watch should be in itineration number 2.

Blood glucose monitor lol
C'mon dude.
Such a thing is not even possible at the moment without pricking into your skin.

SonicSoundVW

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
Michigan, USA
This is a $1500 'designer' watch:

Design is subjective. I showed the Apple watch to my girlfriend (who is not a geek) and she thought it was stunning.

Also: Companies like Apple influence fashion.

----------

Those are cheap jibes at the moto 360. Of course the processor is going to be more limited than on the latest smartphones. The battery thing is a bit odd.

We need to compare these devices on real world experience and use, not on technical specs.

http://9to5google.com/2014/09/09/motorola-moto-360-smartwatch-teardown-finds-less-than-advertised-battery-life/

i do agree with you, as well as some of the others. I don't think it looks that bad, IMO i don't think it looks bad enough to buy something that uses leftover parts from 4 years ago. They weren't even creative enough to design their own separate hardware for their wearable tech. Apple on the other hand created an all new SOC for their wearable tech, as well as their own design. i do think it might be a bit thick but i won't know till i put either size on my wrist. One thing i do know, apps and support for the Apple Watch will come quickly just due to the IDE alone. After messing with Android its no longer a wonder why companies come out with their iOS apps before their Android ones.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.