Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Apple had the iPhone, and would be pretty much dead without the iPhone.
All phone sales, upper end, have slowed, as they are amazing bits of tech now, and it's really hard to bring anything REALLY new year after year.
The future, and the new BIG thing to come will be AR.
We can play with AR on current phones and tablets, but they have to be held up.

I think most accept AT with glasses or perhaps one day even contacts is the long term future.
Be that 2, 5, 10, 50 years it will be our future.
Mixing reality with generated content.

Hell, it could get to the point where you don't need to buy a BIG TV for the home.
You buy a AR version of the TV, it appears on your TV table/wall, and everyone can see it there and watch it, as everyone has AR.

That could easily be the future and they are working of stage 1, with some form of eye wear.
Going to be many many many years before it's perfect, but it will come.

We are towards the end of the screen you carry era and at the very very start or the AR era.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I absolutely agree. I get so tired of Cook's never-ending social engineering when he's supposed to be continuing Apple's legacy of "Insanely Great Products."
Are you saying one is failing because one is succeeding?

Absolutely nothing against Tim Cook as a person, or his social justice endeavors. But Apple needs to concentrate on what it's always done best.
You could say Apple is focusing on what it's done best and it shows in the company valuation, even though some of Apples' 1 billion customers may be unhappy.

I know of at least 7 long-time Apple customers who have gone back to full-time Windows usage. They, like me, love the Mac OS, but cannot justify what Apple is doing and where they seem to be heading with their Mac products.

I hope Apple as a whole reconsiders recent moves.
There is always churn and it seems for some Windows is a better computing platform.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I absolutely agree. I get so tired of Cook's never-ending social engineering when he's supposed to be continuing Apple's legacy of "Insanely Great Products." Absolutely nothing against Tim Cook as a person, or his social justice endeavors. But Apple needs to concentrate on what it's always done best.

I find the irony of people saying this is that they very often are the ones who have no idea just what it is that Apple does best.

Apple excels in design and in making technology more personal. Not necessarily in making the Macs that long-time users want. I suspect that’s why Apple’s recent moves (like releasing their own credit card) is making them uncomfortable.

I know of at least 7 long-time Apple customers who have gone back to full-time Windows usage. They, like me, love the Mac OS, but cannot justify what Apple is doing and where they seem to be heading with their Mac products.

I hope Apple as a whole reconsiders recent moves.

It’s interesting that even as Apple succeeds in making wearable technology more personal for its users (as evidenced by the popularity of the AirPods and Apple Watch), they seem to have alienated Mac users with the infamous MacBook Pro redesign.

Even though Apple seems willing to accommodate Mac users by walking back on their MBP design, I feel the rubicon has been crossed. The future of Apple lies with wearables, not the Mac. Wearables is where I see Apple focusing the bulk of their energies and resources.

I don’t see much changing on this front.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
It's perhaps the ultimate irony that many of those complaining about Ive are probably doing so from a device he designed.

If someone prefers Apple product over the alternatives, how exactly would they avoid buying Apple products NOT designed by Ive?

The end of the era, just like when Jobs gone. Apple will move on though. They always did.

Everyone saying “end of an era”... Sorry, but the era of Apple brilliance and quality ended in 2013 with iOS 7. That was Ive’s work.

Unfortunately, there’s no sign of anyone with the vision and leadership that brought us the Apple of 2005-2012.

Yeah, Apple will probably continue to move forward, but it’ll be pretty much as it has been: Wall Street ass-kissing.

And the new Mac Pro is what everybody seemed to be wanting after Apple released the trash can Mac Pro. So I wonder if those whiners will actually buy what they requested.

We didn’t request that Apple charge TWICE the price of the prior, rejected, model for the base model of the newest Mac Pro. Apple has priced OUT of the market for this product a huge swath of Mac Pro buyers. I’ve saved for years for a new Mac Pro. Definitely still can’t afford one.

If the new Mac Pro sells poorly, it will be yet another self-inflicted injury by the insular and out of touch Apple.

Reactions: PC_tech

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
Apple is a 40+ year old company and they just dont need these icons any longer.

product development cycles could be 2 years in the making. So maybe some time (months or years) to see a clear new product path.
but
could be an exciting time for Apple?

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Sad to see him go but apple will be fine without him. He hasn’t really been involved much the last few years if the rumours are to be believed. His design team are pretty much mini-Ive’s now anyway so his DNA will still be in all the products, much like Jobs is.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Sad to see him go but apple will be fine without him. He hasn’t really been involved much the last few years if the rumours are to be believed. His design team are pretty much mini-Ive’s now anyway so his DNA will still be in all the products, much like Jobs is.

The only thing in “Apple’s DNA” seems to be a self-imposed isolated detachment from the realities of the actual market and their customers (Silicon Valley is one big ivory tower of privilege and survivorship bias), and general arrogance.

Apple and their diehard fans seem convinced that the recent history of profitability, and Apple’s share price, are all the data they need about whether they’re doing things right or not.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Disney will one day own Apple but as a special rehab project only of the most daring execs.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The only thing in “Apple’s DNA” seems to be a self-imposed isolated detachment from the realities of the actual market and their customers (Silicon Valley is one big ivory tower of privilege and survivorship bias), and general arrogance.

Apple and their diehard fans seem convinced that the recent history of profitability, and Apple’s share price, are all the data they need about whether they’re doing things right or not.
I keep seeing this being trotted out. That Apple has somehow lost the plot and is out of touch with its users, while the critics somehow know better. And you know what the irony is? Windows PC vendors, android phone makers, self-proclaimed analysts, pundits etc, they have all been wrong over and over again and they still don't learn.

The problem I see is that you all have it backwards, in that you all tend to first cover an industry, then look at Apple, and then somehow conclude that Apple is doomed because of what they are not doing, or doing differently from everyone else. The issue then is that you are comparing Apple too much to other companies, and assuming that not only is what those companies are doing is right, but that it is also right for Apple. And not giving enough credit to Apple's unique attributes or allowing them to speak for themselves.

Instead, I feel we should be approaching these topics from Apple's perspective. Begin first with Apple, then look out to the rest of the industry, and pay special attention to how Apple sets itself apart from everyone else. And then you will realise the genius of what Apple has set into motion.

In other words, learn to explain Apple's successes, not explain them away. I don't think daring to speak out in favour of Apple makes my a fanboy (other than me being a fanboy because of my love of Apple products due to how well they have worked for me). If anything, I believe that it is precisely because of all the intense criticism and negativity that keeps getting levelled at Apple from every direction possible that it takes even more courage to speak up in support of Apple. Especially when you know that the haters are wrong. And time invariably proves that Apple is right (more often than not anyways).

This doesn't mean, of course, that Apple is somehow infallible or immune to criticism, but what it needs is real, smart criticism, not everyone parroting the same shallow and superficial comments all over again.

Reactions: decafjava and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

That’s a whole bunch of negativity without actually saying anything.

Reactions: decafjava

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Pretty soon I'll just be down to my iPhone and Airport Extreme. Jony's designs really got me excited about tech. It will be intersting to see where Apple is 5 years from now (and how many products of theirs I still own).

iJustines

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2019
Jony Ive is a horrible designer and who the hell like to see a new mac pro fill with full of disgusting hole. The last several years of Apple product is EXPENSIVE+UGLY!

airdrop

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2011
Jony Ive is a horrible designer and who the hell like to see a new mac pro fill with full of disgusting hole. The last several years of Apple product is EXPENSIVE+UGLY!

You just need to go there and design better products yourself, only then your life will be complete!

• Haha

airdrop

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2011
New MP is best design I have ever seen, bold and brave! The iconic work for the “good bye”.

Thank you Jonny for your work!

RIP

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
I have a relative who works as a software engineer in Apple and says that Ive during the last few years of his tenure divided his time between the UK and California, and would come in a couple times a month at most. His design team is completely isolated from the rest of Apple and doesn't join the big company events. Says that no other executive at Apple acts like this, not even Tim Cook himself. So he says everyone was like "shrug" when he finally left.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
I keep seeing this being trotted out. That Apple has somehow lost the plot and is out of touch with its users, while the critics somehow know better. And you know what the irony is? Windows PC vendors, android phone makers, self-proclaimed analysts, pundits etc, they have all been wrong over and over again and they still don't learn.

The problem I see is that you all have it backwards, in that you all tend to first cover an industry, then look at Apple, and then somehow conclude that Apple is doomed because of what they are not doing, or doing differently from everyone else. The issue then is that you are comparing Apple too much to other companies, and assuming that not only is what those companies are doing is right, but that it is also right for Apple. And not giving enough credit to Apple's unique attributes or allowing them to speak for themselves.

Instead, I feel we should be approaching these topics from Apple's perspective. Begin first with Apple, then look out to the rest of the industry, and pay special attention to how Apple sets itself apart from everyone else. And then you will realise the genius of what Apple has set into motion.

In other words, learn to explain Apple's successes, not explain them away. I don't think daring to speak out in favour of Apple makes my a fanboy (other than me being a fanboy because of my love of Apple products due to how well they have worked for me). If anything, I believe that it is precisely because of all the intense criticism and negativity that keeps getting levelled at Apple from every direction possible that it takes even more courage to speak up in support of Apple. Especially when you know that the haters are wrong. And time invariably proves that Apple is right (more often than not anyways).

This doesn't mean, of course, that Apple is somehow infallible or immune to criticism, but what it needs is real, smart criticism, not everyone parroting the same shallow and superficial comments all over again.

I don’t know why you’re talking as if I’m a PC marketer/reviewer, or a supporter of the PC world. I’m anything but. I HATE PCs and I HATE Windows. I’m pissed at Apple because they successfully won me over with superior quality and reliability of their software in 2007, and have been failing to live up to that version of themselves since 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Couldn't be further from the truth. Hell, the CEO is a Industrial Engineering graduate. You really should quit while you're behind.

P.S. To those whining about iOS and wondering all about the new Software Testing Initiatives is due to fellow NeXT/Apple alums who made iOS coming back to work there in more top positions.
But according to Twitter, A-level employees have been leaving Apple in droves. So who's right? Genuine question. If you're right, that's great to hear. Should ensure high quality software Apple's been known for.

iJustines

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2019
But according to Twitter, A-level employees have been leaving Apple in droves. So who's right? Genuine question. If you're right, that's great to hear. Should ensure high quality software Apple's been known for.

Jony Ive couldn't uphold its performance at Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.